Tieing a quilt

Old October 15th 03, 04:33 AM
Laura Gilbert

Default Tieing a quilt

Hi all,

I have a quilt that I made about 20+ years ago, before I had any formal
training for quilting. I sewed a bunch of 12 inch blocks of corduroy
together and made a top, and used a king sized sheet for the backing, and
put 2 layers of batting in between. I used the overlap of the sheet for my
bindings. I was able to run a couple of rows of stitching on the long seams
of the quilt to keep everything in place. I would like to tie the quilt
now, and kind of make it an official quilt. So my question is:

What type of thread, yarn, string, cord or what ever do you use to tie a
quilt. Do you use a button to tie your knot through? What type of knot do
you tie? And do you tie it at each intersection or in the center of each
block?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your sage advice!

--
Laura in Virginia

Old October 15th 03, 04:46 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article Zb3jb.89181$k74.67401@lakeread05,
"Laura Gilbert" wrote:

[...]

Let's see....

What type of thread, etc....I like perle cotton. I can get it at my
local Michael's craft shop so it's easy to find in lots of colors. Yarn
works just fine too...it's just a bit fluffy-er. I've used really,
really narrow ribbon but that is a pain to pull through the layers and
generally involves pliers (and an ugly story about a big needle that
went into my arm and a bicycle ride to the dr. but I digress...)

I don't use buttons because they can come off. Maybe for a wall quilt,
but not for something I'd use. Besides, cute as they are they aren't
very cuddly.

I tie a square knot with an extra twist. So right over left. Then
right over left and over left again and pull tight. Someone once told
me it's a surgeons knot but I dunno if that's true or knot...er...not.

Since it's heavy fabric and two layers of batting, it might be easier in
the centers of the blocks rather than intersections where you have seams
to contend with. But, there's no rule...just what you think looks nice.

Have fun improving your quilt!
marcella
Old October 15th 03, 04:48 AM
Janice Davis

My husbands grandmother always used a very thin crocheting yarn. I have done
this with one quilt I made(which was before I got a new fangled sewing
machine that will quilt) and I used yarn needles and double knotted the yarn
on the top side. Buttons (depending on the quilt) can add a very nice
decorative touch to your quilt. Hope this helps.
Janice

Old October 15th 03, 08:48 AM
Patti

Hullo Laura
I would use fine crochet cotton or perle cotton. You can get either of
these in a lovely range of colours.
I would not use buttons - too hard! (not difficult - the other one g)
Spacing: as you have twelve inch blocks, one tie in the centre would be
rather 'sparse' I think. I would *try* to get one at each intersection
even with the seams. Then how about making four ties within the 12"
squares, arranged so as to be the corners of an 8" square set in the
centre of the 12". Is that clear? Here is an attempt at a diagram -
hope it gets through in the same way as I type it!!

* *

* *

* *

* *

Should look great. Good luck.
..
In article Zb3jb.89181$k74.67401@lakeread05, Laura Gilbert
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 15th 03, 02:05 PM
CNYstitcher

I made a corduroy scrappy patchwork for myself, much like you described.
For tying, I used pearl cotton (extra that I had from other quilts),
and tied it at each intersection. I guess what I use is a square knot,
but since I haven't tied a quilt in a while, I can't
remember.....whatever doesn't allow the knot to slip :-)

Larisa

Old October 18th 03, 08:17 PM
Dr. Quilter

I like the idea of tying in the middle of the blocks to make it easier,
but if you feels it needs more you could make the tie at the
intersections large enough so that the needle goes through outside of
the seam allowances.. it will leave a large X on the back, but you can
always consider it a decorative touch.

Laura Gilbert wrote:

[...]

Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old October 20th 03, 02:55 PM
Laura Gilbert

Thanks to all with these suggestions, DH may just get his wish to pull the
old thing out of the closet! He begs every year, and every year I tell him
it is just toooooooo ugly! This year it just might make it to the bed!

Laura in Virginia