hammers

Old September 4th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

Default OT: tinyurl, was: hammers

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 20:47:43 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Maren at google
wrote:

In this day and age I tend not to go to hidden URLs.

??

Maren

If it helps any, I check the validity and "on topic" status of URLs sent in this
newsgroup before approving a posting. In some cases, where posters have sent
URLs that are too long for my posting software to handle gracefully, I may be
the one to convert a URL to a tiny URL, in my capacity as moderator. Not all
the time, or even much of the time. But sometimes. I find the tinyURL site to
be useful and relatively risk free.

The TinyURL site is generally trustworthy. They simply supply a translation
service so long URLs can be referred to with a short and easier to use one. You
can always see the actual, real URL when you click the tinyURL and go there. It
does not hide the site ID from you, only makes it easier to use in a message.
And if you're really not sure, last I checked, you can go to tinyURL.com's web
site and verify a tiny URL if you like, before actually going to a site.

While there can be no such thing as absolute surety that a web site you go to is
safe, and that includes sites tinyURL sends you to as well as those you already
know and trust, the major efforts you can take to protect your security and
identity are taken on your end. Use a good firewall, antivirus, and antispyware
setup, set your browser's security settings appropriately, and pay attention to
the tools your browser no doubt already makes available to prevent web sites
from abusing you.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry
Old September 4th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Maren at google wrote:
On Sep 1, 6:59 pm, Abrasha wrote:

Use tinyurl.com!

In this day and age I tend not to go to hidden URLs.

??

Maren

Obviously you don't know what tinyurl.com is.

Inform yourself!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 4th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Todd Rich

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:
(snip)
The TinyURL site is generally trustworthy. They simply supply a translation
service so long URLs can be referred to with a short and easier to use one. You
can always see the actual, real URL when you click the tinyURL and go there.

(snip)

If you don't have cookies set to this, and the TinyURL link doesn't
haven't preview in it (http://preview.tinyurl.com/) , you can always add
the word preview in the URL to make sure you stop at their site
first, showing the full URL.
Old September 5th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Séimí mac Liam

Todd Rich wrote in
:

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:
(snip)
The TinyURL site is generally trustworthy. They simply supply a
translation service so long URLs can be referred to with a short and
easier to use one. You can always see the actual, real URL when you
click the tinyURL and go there.

(snip)

If you don't have cookies set to this, and the TinyURL link doesn't
haven't preview in it (http://preview.tinyurl.com/) , you can always
add the word preview in the URL to make sure you stop at their site
first, showing the full URL.

Now I realize that bandwidth is not at the premium that it once was, but
do you folks realize how much extra traffic is generated by using sites
like tiny url? I use it for urls over about one and a half lines. Less
than half a line is easy to copy before you click on the hyperlink and
then paste into the address window after the 404 page shows.

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve