OT - Please Help Ladies!! Restroom Etiquette - Your Opinions Needed!!

Old November 12th 03, 09:45 AM
Janner

On the topic of France, has anyone worked out how to use the loos at
motorway service stations in France? I mean the ones where you have to
squat down without falling in? I must admit to using the disabled loos as I
could see no way of performing the task without getting completely undressed
from the waist down! Yet, I saw the most elegantly dressed ladies emerging
from the cubicles without a ruffle! Do they teach them at school how to use
them?

Also on the topic of France, I find it a wonderful place, with families well
catered for (apart from service station loos!) and we are looking forward to
selling up and moving there next year!

In France we had this wonderful strong coffee with hot chocolate in it and
cinnamon and sugar....... I could do with one of those.

I'll get off my pedestal now (grin) and leave you all in peace! I'll try
not to bang the door on my way out!

A bientot
--
Janner

"Quite often lately I have the feeling I don't know what's going on..." ---
Snoopy!

"You have to have a Dream!"

"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
In article , Kate Dicey
writes
Marie Lewis wrote:

In article , Kathy
Applebaum writes
You know, I've never thought about this or seen it happen. Can't

really say
what I'd think. I'm sure the problem also comes up when a elderly

person (or
a disabled person) has a caregiver of the opposite sex. Hmmm.....

I am, at present, somewhat dependent on a wheelchair, and my husband

has
been pushing my chair around France, on holiday, for three weeks.

He didn't hesitate to take me into the ladies' loos and no-one at all
raised an eyebrow.
--
Marie Lewis

France is different: lots of the loos there are 'co-ed' anyway.

But he would have to do that in the UK, too.
--
Marie Lewis

---

Old November 12th 03, 01:10 PM
Kim E

Our local rec center has Family Changing Rooms. Children over four
are NOT allowed in the opposite sex changing rooms. If you do bring
your 5 year old son in the ladies changing room, you may have your
membership suspended or be asked to leave the center. They have 3
family changing rooms, so this is almost never a problem.

When DS was 5 or 6, he would go to the Men's restroom in restaurants
alone with me waiting outside. I would call in if he took too long or
ask someone to check on him. DH rarely took DD out alone when she was
under 5. When she was 2 and 3, he would take her in the Men's with
her. Once she was 4 and 5, he would ask another mom to look out for
her in the Ladies. She was potty trained before she was 2, so she was
pretty independent.

Kim

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message u...
At swimming lessons recently a mum brought her 9 year old son into the
ladies change room. The older ladies there (20 plus) - 3 of 'em were a wee
bit embarrassed and started to cover up. My DD (6) refused to get changed
because he was staring. His mum had no idea and just kept telling him to
get changed. Some politely discreet comments were made within her earshot
but most of us just hurried up and got out.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
"Jan Dunaway" wrote in message
nk.net...
My only complaint with moms taking sons into the ladies room is when the
little bugers are peeking under/over stalls etc. No way in any
circumstances would I send one in on thier own in this day in age.
However, I would think twice about seeing your hubby in there.
Although, it is food for thought since I have a young daughter and will
have to face this question. The only other thing I have ever been
uncomfortable with is when camping and women have brought thier sons
that were 7 + in age into the shower area.... that was not in good
taste, although... again... I wouldn't have sent them into the men's on
thier own either... so I guess the question is at what point to public
restrooms become more family friendly??

Jan

Old November 12th 03, 01:15 PM
Pat in Virginia

Sharon PUHLEEZE .... this is a 'fambly news group' ... no call to
get kinky! LOL PAT

Sharon Harper wrote:
....cut...
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under) (wondering if I should
start growing my hair so DH can drag me around - oh wait that was cavemen
not barbarians.... oh well one and the same! LOL)

"Judy Grevenites" wrote in message
Marie, sometimes I wonder why you deign to talk to us in the rest of the
world. France, France, France---yes dear, we get the message. Marie
and France are civilized--the rest are barbarians. RedQueen

Old November 12th 03, 01:28 PM
Pat in Virginia

Over here we generally have three or more toilet facilities. That
is the more modern way for public places such as shopping areas
and airports. One for males, one for females, and one for
'family' use. That one generally has a lock and is similar to the
private toilet facility one might have at home, so there is
accommodation for a spouse/friend/parent to assist. Every one has
privacy that way. Don't you have those more modern facilities in
France??!! I am so shocked!
PAT in VA/USA

Marie Lewis wrote:

In article , Charlie
writes
I personally don't think it's right for men to go in a women's loo

Why? Can my husband not help me, when I am in a wheelchair?
--
Marie Lewis

Old November 12th 03, 01:36 PM
Kate Dicey

Janner wrote:

[...]

Oh, the joys of the Grotty Squatty! Take yer knickers orff, hoist yer
skirt up round yer ears, and wear wellies! One French lady called them
'The shame of France!

Not to worry - large parts of France are now importing plumbing ideas
from Germany and Japan! Tres posh, to say the least! Teflon coated
loos that never get dirty, I hear...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 12th 03, 02:01 PM
Shelly

Well Marie, if I get there before you do, you'll just have to wait your
turn. Like someone else here stated, being handicapped doesn't guarantee you
a stall in any restroom, it only gives you access for your chair.
Shelly
"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
In article , Shelly
writes
(Gently snipped)
It isn't as though I'm hurting the disabled person by using the empty
stall, not when she's not there. And this has nothing to do with parking
spots.

I agree Julia! The person would probably have a longer wait if a

handicapped
person was using the stall. I prefer to use the handicapped stall myself

ALL
the time just because there is usually much more room, and it's usually
cleaner. I've never once encountered a handicapped person waiting to use

the
stall I was just in.
Shelly

I find this appalling. I have had to wait and I do not have a choice of
stalls.

The French have signs: you can use my "restroom" if you also take my
disability.

As is said in another post, the French are very civilised.
--
Marie Lewis

---

Old November 12th 03, 02:04 PM
Maureen Wozniak

Julia Altshuler wrote:

In Canada, they say "washroom."

In parts of the U.S. too. In Northern Illinois, especially the Chicago
area, "washroom" is used for both public and private baths or restrooms.

Old November 12th 03, 02:04 PM
Shelly

So........you couldn't figure that out? Bathroom, restroom, loo, john,
crapper, or as the French are fond of saying.... the twa-let or
TOILET........are all the same thing to me. Just depends on your location or
country.
Shelly

"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
In article , Shelly
writes
The bathroom to be called the "water closet" in the 19th century because
that was where you went to "make water" or pee into a chamber-pot. These
closets were usually located or connected to the kitchen. There was no
running water and the water had to be carried and poured into a tub in

order
for one to have a bath.

It isn't so hard to figure out why "we" Americans call it the bathroom.
That's exactly what it is, a place to take a bath in our homes. When

you're
out on the road traveling, you stop to rest for a few minutes and use the
toilet, hence the term..............restroom.
Shelly

Some people were referring to "bathrooms" in public places. That is why
I asked.
--
Marie Lewis

---

Old November 12th 03, 02:12 PM
Shelly

Like I said before, first come, first serve! Other than a colostomy which
can be taken care of in a regular stall, I can't imagine what you would be
referring to here. Pretty much anything else, would be pretty obvious. Can't
miss a wheelchair, cane or walking stick. The latter two could use a regular
stall without difficulty usually, as far as I know. They do it every day
where I work without assistance or problems in a very tiny bathroom.
Shelly
"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
In article . net,
Jalynne writes
I would always let someone who is obviously disabled go ahead
of me.

What about the disabilities that are not obvious?
--
Marie Lewis

---

Old November 12th 03, 02:17 PM
Shelly

Nope, not inconsiderate or in the extreme. Just a free stall not being used.
They are usually standing open and no one in sight. I've never once
encountered anyone needing to use the handicapped stall while exiting.
Shelly
"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
In article , georg
writes
I use a cane often, but I don't have handicapped tags for my car. I do
NOT park in the handicapped spot. But I will use the handicapped stall
sometimes, just because it's great to maneuver where there are handles!
But if someone is in a wheelchair and needs the loo the same time I
hobble in, I'm letting them go first.

Thank you.

I do know there are handicapped folks who when they need to go, they
need to go NOW and it's a LOT nicer for them when there is an available
handicapped stall available. It saves them from needing to change their
own diaper. And I've helped a friend or three clean up who didn't make
it there in time (but usually not due to a line!).

I can see both sides of the issue. If there is a line, I'll use the
first available stall, but let an obviously handicapped person ignore
the line. If someone was able to *announce* their handicap if it wasn't
obvious, yes, I'd tolerate them skipping the line too. And yes, I've
gotten strange looks for being the lady with the cane waiting my turn.

-georg

When I had a colostomy, I had to use disabled toilets (this is
permissible) because I needed the long mirror in order to change.

I have nothing at all against any disabled person using these loos,
whatever the disability.

However, I do take exception to the person, not disabled, who said she
always uses those loos. It is inconsiderate in the extreme.
--
Marie Lewis

---