question about ripstop upgrade

Old April 29th 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Billy Shivers

Default question about ripstop upgrade

Hello, I was wondering, say there was a situation where there was
fabric, but it wasn't quite strong enough, and I wanted to "upgrade" it
to ripstop, by weaving or stitching a quadrille ruled pattern, is that
possible?

The idea would be to add ripstop capability to a range of fabrics, I am
learning more about textiles, and I hope that you can help me add that
to my repatroire (sp?) thanks if you can help.
Old April 29th 09, 09:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Billy Shivers wrote:
Hello, I was wondering, say there was a situation where there was
fabric, but it wasn't quite strong enough, and I wanted to "upgrade" it
to ripstop, by weaving or stitching a quadrille ruled pattern, is that
possible?

The idea would be to add ripstop capability to a range of fabrics, I am
learning more about textiles, and I hope that you can help me add that
to my repatroire (sp?) thanks if you can help.

Not really... It would be more cost-effective to buy ripstop fabric.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 29th 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
lyn5

On Apr 29, 1:41*am, Billy Shivers wrote:
Hello, I was wondering, say there was a situation where there was
fabric, but it wasn't quite strong enough, and I wanted to "upgrade" it
to ripstop, by weaving or stitching a quadrille ruled pattern, is that
possible?

The idea would be to add ripstop capability to a range of fabrics, I am
learning more about textiles, and I hope that you can help me add that
to my repatroire (sp?) thanks if you can help.

Read up on "Sashiko" know it makes it warmer-not sure about stronger.

lyn
Old April 29th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
lenorel95

What exactly are you trying to make? That makes a huge difference in what
fabric to choose.

Ripstop can be very difficult to sew with. It is slippery and nylon ravels
like crazy. All the seams have to be "finished." This can occur in several
ways: using a special hot tool to cut it out--heat sealing the edges;
serging the edges; or cutting it out and putting Fray Check along each cut
edge.

Let us know if you have more questions?

Lenore

Old April 29th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
BEI Design

Kate XXXXXX wrote:
Billy Shivers wrote:
Hello, I was wondering, say there was a situation where
there was fabric, but it wasn't quite strong enough,
and I wanted to "upgrade" it to ripstop, by weaving or
stitching a quadrille ruled pattern, is that possible?

The idea would be to add ripstop capability to a range
of fabrics, I am learning more about textiles, and I
hope that you can help me add that to my repatroire
(sp?) thanks if you can help.

Not really... It would be more cost-effective to buy
ripstop fabric.

I was thinking the same thing especially if the fabric in
question is more than a few yards. I'm thinking adding
vertical and horizontal lines of stitching 1/4" apart on 100
yards of fabric would be nearly impossible.

However, if OP has a particular color or print that must be
used and it is not available in ripstop, then possibly a
method for making the present fabric "stronger" would be to
bond it to another fabric. That would depend a lot on fiber
content. Or perhaps use a fusible *woven* interfacing.

It would be useful to have additional details on the actual
fabric and prospective use Op has in mind.

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old April 29th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
BEI Design

lyn5 wrote:
On Apr 29, 1:41 am, Billy Shivers wrote:
Hello, I was wondering, say there was a situation where
there was fabric, but it wasn't quite strong enough,
and I wanted to "upgrade" it to ripstop, by weaving or
stitching a quadrille ruled pattern, is that possible?

The idea would be to add ripstop capability to a range
of fabrics, I am learning more about textiles, and I
hope that you can help me add that to my repatroire
(sp?) thanks if you can help.

Read up on "Sashiko" know it makes it warmer-not sure
about stronger.

lyn

Interesting! I had never heard of that technique. I would
love to get my hands on one of the metal "traditional
sashiko thimble"s shown on that site. All they seem to sell
are leather ones.

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old May 4th 09, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Billy Shivers

BEI Design wrote:
Kate XXXXXX wrote:
Billy Shivers wrote:
[...]

For kites, but in a 3rd world environment. Rip-stop just isn't sold on
the streetcorners. I guess I'm just spoiled.

That was a joke (I have a really dry sense of humor sometimes).

If I can keep the fabric from ripping, there's a wider range of colors
available.

I'm kind of looking at weaving nylon fabric for kites--I might just make
it from bottles of chemicals. It seems that there is such a great world
of sewing, and the possibilities are endless.

Maybe I need to start with, is there a miniature loom or something, so
that I can make test patches? I want control over all aspects of the
fabric, to customize it--I don't want to order something from a catalog
that has 20,000 things in it, and waiting 4 months for something that
never arrives.

But, I appreciate your commentary, and I'll continue to work with all of
your ideas that you can share, as I learn more.

Please direct comments to the group, so that other people might benefit
from the exchange of ideas that (hopeful) continues?

Have a nice evening, and thanks for reading.
Old May 4th 09, 07:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Billy Shivers

BEI Design wrote:
lyn5 wrote:
On Apr 29, 1:41 am, Billy Shivers wrote:
Hello, I was wondering, say there was a situation where
there was fabric, but it wasn't quite strong enough,
and I wanted to "upgrade" it to ripstop, by weaving or
stitching a quadrille ruled pattern, is that possible?

The idea would be to add ripstop capability to a range
of fabrics, I am learning more about textiles, and I
hope that you can help me add that to my repatroire
(sp?) thanks if you can help.

Read up on "Sashiko" know it makes it warmer-not sure
about stronger.

lyn

Interesting! I had never heard of that technique. I would
love to get my hands on one of the metal "traditional
sashiko thimble"s shown on that site. All they seem to sell
are leather ones.

Yes, that is interesting, thank you. But I wonder if the Sashiko
technique can be programmed into one of the entry-level (less expensive)
monogramming sewing machines? It kind of reinforces and thickens the
fabric, doesn't it? Good reference. The sewing Gods are smiling--and
almost as much fun as the van Gods (did you see those
commercials--putting disco lights and purple Tiki water fountains in the
back of 70's vans with those heavy, shag-plush interiors? Now there's a
sewing project)

Leftover Fan Squares=Kitchen Upgrade John Quilting 23 August 19th 07 02:23 PM
Bernina news -- BSR upgrade the black rose Quilting 0 July 9th 05 05:23 PM
WANTED: Electric Quilt 5 upgrade Bill Wenban Quilting 3 February 29th 04 05:39 PM
UPGRADE kteedidit Machine Knit 0 November 30th 03 01:43 PM
upgrade PE-Design?? Joanne1 Sewing 1 August 25th 03 08:09 PM