Halloween -- planning for next year -- tools and tool storage

Old October 31st 05, 03:58 PM
LurfysMa

Default Halloween -- planning for next year -- tools and tool storage

Over the past several years, we have been building a bit of an annual
family tradition of pumpkin carving.

The first year, I bought some of those kits with plastic cutters and
scrapers and some patterns. Surprisingly, the "kids" (ages 20-40) and
their kids really got into it.

Each year it got a little more elaborate. Over the last two years, the
competition really heated up when they started doing some of the more
elaborate designs that require shaving the pumpkin skin to various
depths in addition to cutting all the way through. This allows for
much more complicated patterns and

For this year (we did it yesterday), I bought a couple of sets of
carving tools. This was a huge success. What a difference better tools
make.

Now I have a storage problem. In the past, I just tossed the plastic
cutters and scrapers into a ZipLoc bag. I didn't care much if a few
got lost. I didn't spend a fortune on the new tools, but they are nic
tools and they are too sharp for a ZipLoc bag. So I am looking for
suggestions for storage methods.

Here are the tools I have so far:

1 set of X-Acto carving tools. 6 tools permanently mounted on wooden
handles.

5 sets of Speedball linoleum tools. I have 5 rubber handles plus
several sets of cutters (#1-#5 + knife).

Several X-Acto saws.

2 "loop scrapers/shavers". These have a wooden handle and 2-edged
blade in a loop. Great for scraping out the goop and thinning the
inside wall.

Then there is the bag of plastic parts (pokers, cutters, etc.).

I scanned the archives of this and other NGs. Based on that, here are
the choices I see. I would appreciate comments and suggestions. I am
looking for ways to store and organize these tools. They will get used
once a year. When they are, I would like them to be visible and
organized so the "artists" can find what they want.

I would also like all of the "parts" kept together. That is, for the
Speedball line, I wold like the handles and the removable cutters
stored together.

My first thought is to get some small plastic storage boxes with lids
such as for buttons or fishing gear. The ones with dividers would be
good for the miscellaneous plastic parts.

For the good tools, I was thinking about getting small plastic boxes
without dividers -- maybe 4x6x1 to 8x10x2 ro so. I would glue a thin
layer of foam rubber (1/16"? 1/8"?) to the bottom. I would then take a
thicker piece -- thick enough to provide a cradle for the tools -- and
cut out shapes for each tool. I would glue this to the thin piece
making a custom tool box. I don't know if I need another thin piece on
top or not. I would appreciate comments on this idea and any hints of
ways to do it (or not to do it).

This would work well for the tools that have fixed cutters. I am not
sure how well it would work for the Speedball set with removeable
cutters. I don't think the loose cutters would do well in a foam well.
Maybe I can find a long, thin plastic bin (1x6x1) with dividers and
fit it into the thicker foam like one of the handles.

Any suggestions on the type of foam to get? I would think it should be
fairly stiff.

My second choice is some of those canvas roll-up tool storage things.
I think I have seen them in hardware stores. They have elastic loops
on the inside to secure the tools. Again, that would work well for the
tixed-tip tools, but not as well for the Speedball set with loose
cutters.

My third choice is the various types of plastic storage boxes with
dividers such as for sewing, small parts, and fishing tackle. These
are great for loose parts, but not so good for the larger handles.

Finally, I would appreciate suggestions for other tools that would be
good for pumpkin carving. I like to have something new each year.

Thanks

--
For email, use