Got me a treadle!

Old August 20th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sue DiNapoli

Default Got me a treadle!

Hello all!

Just wanted to share my happy news: I got a new treadle...she came to my
home on her 98th birthday!! A Singer beauty, needs a little TLC, but
not much. The best part? She was FREE!!!

Can't wait to sew without the use of electricity!! She works smoothly,
needs a belt and a little cosmetic sprucing, but I'm psyched. She's
even downstairs in my "office" space, so I can see her all the time!!!

Yeah me!!

Sue, in Ithaca
Old August 20th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 19, 9:15 pm, Sue DiNapoli wrote:
Hello all!

Just wanted to share my happy news: I got a new treadle...she came to my
home on her 98th birthday!! A Singer beauty, needs a little TLC, but
not much. The best part? She was FREE!!!

Can't wait to sew without the use of electricity!! She works smoothly,
needs a belt and a little cosmetic sprucing, but I'm psyched. She's
even downstairs in my "office" space, so I can see her all the time!!!

Yeah me!!

Sue, in Ithaca

Lucky you! Do you have a pic? I'd love to see her! (I'd LOVE to have a
treadle)

Sherry

Old August 20th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dorothy McNutt

Good for you.
I got me a treadle a couple of years ago. I paid $1 for
it on ebay and it works perfectly. I just had to buy a belt
for it. Also got a 15-91 with motor about a year ago.
I'm trying to take pictures of all my machines and put
on my webshots. Let you all know when I do.
dreamboat
http://webshots.community.com/user/dreamboat116

Old August 20th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default People powered machines [was Got me a treadle!]

Yeah! And I got my treadle named Maria a couple of weeks ago. She need
some clean-up, and her oak finish may need some replacing in places,
but she is a beauty!

Question on hand-cranks. I have several old machines, like a 66-15 and
15-91, and would like to find out where to go to get one of them
changed to a hand-crank. I think. Does anyone use a handcrank? How do
you manage with only one hand to handle the fabric?

Thanks in advance. and congratulations Sue on your new-to-you treadle!

Ginger in CA

On Aug 20, 4:27 am, IMS wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:15:14 -0400, Sue DiNapoli
wrote:

Hello all!

Just wanted to share my happy news: I got a new treadle...she came to my
home on her 98th birthday!! A Singer beauty, needs a little TLC, but
not much. The best part? She was FREE!!!

Can't wait to sew without the use of electricity!! She works smoothly,
needs a belt and a little cosmetic sprucing, but I'm psyched. She's
even downstairs in my "office" space, so I can see her all the time!!!

Yeah me!!

Sue, in Ithaca

Sue, congratulations!! And the price was right!! You will love that
machine. Do you know what model it is?

Having a treadle or handcrank is great -- I used my handcrank when the
electricity went out for three days last winter - which as you know
happens a lot here in Central New York!! I currently have two treadles
also, my grandmother's 66 "Redeye" and a 15-90.

-Irene (in Dryden)

-------------
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
- Mae West

Old August 20th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Sue DiNapoli wrote:

Hello all!

Just wanted to share my happy news: I got a new treadle...she came to my
home on her 98th birthday!! A Singer beauty, needs a little TLC, but
not much. The best part? She was FREE!!!

Can't wait to sew without the use of electricity!! She works smoothly,
needs a belt and a little cosmetic sprucing, but I'm psyched. She's
even downstairs in my "office" space, so I can see her all the time!!!

Yeah me!!

Sue, in Ithaca

Congratulations, Sue! Do we get to see her?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 20th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Sue DiNapoli" wrote in message
Hello all!

Just wanted to share my happy news: I got a new treadle...she came to my
home on her 98th birthday!! A Singer beauty, needs a little TLC, but
not much. The best part? She was FREE!!!

Can't wait to sew without the use of electricity!! She works smoothly,
needs a belt and a little cosmetic sprucing, but I'm psyched. She's
even downstairs in my "office" space, so I can see her all the time!!!

Yeah me!!

Sue, in Ithaca

Yeah me, indeed! Congratulations on your new toy.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old August 20th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Ginger in CA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Question on hand-cranks. I have several old machines, like a 66-15 and
15-91, and would like to find out where to go to get one of them
changed to a hand-crank. I think. Does anyone use a handcrank? How do
you manage with only one hand to handle the fabric?

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachineshop/index.html has instructions for
several hand crank conversion projects.

Old August 21st 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
IMS wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:37:08 -0000, Ginger in CA
wrote:

Yeah! And I got my treadle named Maria a couple of weeks ago. She need
some clean-up, and her oak finish may need some replacing in places,
but she is a beauty!

Question on hand-cranks. I have several old machines, like a 66-15 and
15-91, and would like to find out where to go to get one of them
changed to a hand-crank. I think. Does anyone use a handcrank? How do
you manage with only one hand to handle the fabric?

Thanks in advance. and congratulations Sue on your new-to-you treadle!

Ginger in CA

I use my handcrank when the power goes out; when it went out for three
days earlier this year I was thankful I had it! The only thing I did
realize I missed is reverse...the 99 does not have reverse...so I may
move the crank setup to a 201-3 or 15-91 both of which have external
motors and reverse.

It's very easy to handle the fabric because you naturally have to go
slower.

And, it's easy to do the conversion, too. All that is needed is the
raised motor boss mount hole (a machine with a threaded hole where the
motor bracket is hooked to) - a crank - and a spoked wheel. This what I
did to my 99 that had brittle wiring but was otherwise in great shape.

I purchased an original Singer hand crank from Glenn Williams - about
$30 because I wanted 'real' parts not reproduction,

http://www.sewalot.com/sewing_machine_link_page.htm

...and I took a spoked wheel off of a $5 machine I picked up at the
thrift and then removed the wires and motor off the 99 -- which was
*free* 99 (it had toasted wires which is why it was free) two years ago.
It works great.

Here's my machine: http://tinyurl.com/3yrp2s

Here's more on the how'to:

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...onverting.html

-Irene
-------------
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
- Mae West

Oh my, Irene! You have the twin to my machine! Here's a photo of mine:
http://www.sandymike.net/Sewing%20Machines.html. G

Old August 21st 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
IMS wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:00:29 -0700, Sandy
wrote:

Oh my, Irene! You have the twin to my machine! Here's a photo of mine:
http://www.sandymike.net/Sewing%20Machines.html. G

Is that fun or what!! They do look identical!

-Irene
-------------
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
- Mae West

g Yup! I bought mine on ebay several years ago -- it just seemed to
call out to me. I've always meant to use it to make a quilt, but I never
have -- perhaps the lack of a reverse function is part of the problem.
G However, DGS#1 did use it to make his blackboard/placemat, so it has
had a little use.

Old August 21st 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

It's hard to beat "free". I purchased a 1920 Singer 66-1 "Redeye"
treadle a few months ago off of eBay and picked it up locally. It was
a mess! But it cleaned up nicely and is working great. Now if only I
could get my feet to work the thing correctly. It does take a bit of
practice and a great deal of concentration. Have fun!!
Here;s a picture of mine after I cleaned it up:
http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/64/464...4BuFEyT_th.jpg

My new treadle Kathy Applebaum Quilting 8 November 5th 04 07:30 PM
My new treadle Piper Quilting 8 March 24th 04 07:08 PM
New Treadle for me, too! frood Quilting 8 December 29th 03 12:15 AM
Treadle pix Kate Dicey Quilting 7 August 12th 03 03:52 AM
Treadle pix Kate Dicey Sewing 2 August 8th 03 03:54 PM