Shana Tova - Happy New Jewish Year 5767

Old September 24th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Default Shana Tova - Happy New Jewish Year 5767

Karen C - California wrote:
Dr. Brat wrote:

what amazes me is the speed with which some people manage to shift the
terms of a discussion as soon as someone says something different than
what they said. I didn't see cost or feeding volunteers in the
original post, just recipe doctoring.

I said "I have regularly had people beg for my brownie recipe and refuse
to believe that it's the 99c Safeway house brand mix." I did not say
WHAT people, or for WHAT purpose I was baking the cheap brownies, only
that they taste better with more water than the box calls for.

You apparently read into that, that the only way that I bake brownies is
from a 99c mix, because you countered "Or you can bake from scratch and
really have something good. The cake on the back of the Hershey's cocoa
can doesn't take any more time than a boxed cake mix and is a zillion
times better."

Funny, I don't see where the above says that I think the only way you
bake is from a mix. Why would you assume that's what I meant?

I never said that this is the only way I bake brownies. I never said
that I don't make them from scratch. I never said that I thought
scratch baking takes more time. You felt the need to criticize not
baking from scratch, without bothering with accurate facts (like that I
have posted a very involved, very expensive scratch recipe here in the
past that proves it was unnecessary for you to suggest that my only goal
was getting brownies made as quickly as possible).

First, I don't read every thing you post, so I see no reason why you
would assume that I saw your brownie recipe. Second, you're still
setting up a false dichoctomy, implying that baking from scratch has to
be expensive. But yes, you are correct that I much prefer scratch
baking over using a mix.

You assumed facts not in evidence, and then got annoyed when I pointed
out your assumption was wrong by filling in facts that were unnecessary
to the original comment, in order to correct your false assumption that
I think a mix is as good as scratch.

I didn't assume facts not in evidence. I responded to what was in front
of me.

I know perfectly well -- as does almost everyone else here -- that if
you want something really good, you bake from scratch. There was no
need to point that out in a discussion that centered on *doctoring*
recipes, unless you were going to tell us HOW you doctor the recipe on
the Hershey's can. Which you didn't, so the only reasonable
interpretation of that comment was that you were criticizing the use of
a mix for any reason, instead of constructively contributing to the
discussion of how recipes can be doctored.

If this were the only time you ever shifted the terms of a discussion in
order to "win the argument" I would have no problem with it, but the
fact is that you do it all the time and it gets to be annoying after a
while. So I called you on it.

I'm still waiting to hear what church it is you go to that doesn't have
women ministers and what school you attended that had heated sidewalks,
by the way.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old September 24th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mickey

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Actually, I still like the Jiffy mix corn muffins better than just about any
other method, including scratch, non-sweet ones.

Cheryl

I agree completely. It doesn't hurt that the Jiffy mix is dirt cheap,
either. grin

--

--Mickey
Edmonton, AB

to reply: mickey18385 at yahoo dot com
Old September 25th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/24/06 6:18 PM, in article TuDRg.20864$5R2.7436@pd7urf3no, "mickey"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Actually, I still like the Jiffy mix corn muffins better than just about any
other method, including scratch, non-sweet ones.

Cheryl

I agree completely. It doesn't hurt that the Jiffy mix is dirt cheap,
either. grin

True, true! Though it is harder to find the whole range these days!

Cheryl

Old September 25th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Dr. Brat wrote:
Karen C - California wrote:
Dr. Brat wrote:

[...]

You know.....I've said similar things in the past, about her inability
to respond when asked for specifics, her tendency to shift discussions
into arguments where she becomes the victim (Poor Karen getting picked
on yet again, and having to prove she's right and others bully her),
and the conflicting stories she comes up with.

The one that stands out the most here is that she is too disabled to
work outside the house, yet has the energy to run to the grocery store,
bake and deliver brownies daily. I find this one highly irritating
currently because I have had a migraine since June 1st. I mean it's
constant and daily. I have missed 3 days of work because of it, two
because a doctor tried to break it by keeping me more or less asleep
for two solid days. One of my higher ups keeps urging me to consider
disability, because my pain is obvious to everybody, and I won't.

One other thing I have found fascinating about this thread...Sheena did
not jump in to defend "Poor Karen" as she would have the moment I said
anything like what Elizabeth said.

Caryn

Old September 25th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dr. Brat wrote:
Karen C - California wrote:
Dr. Brat wrote:

[...]

I'm really sorry you have had a headache for 4 months, but being nasty won't
make it better.

Apparently you're still looking for a fight and feeling sorry for yourself
at the same time.

You're still nasty and just too ready for a fight.

Old September 25th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default OT: Migraine was Shana Tova - Happy New Jewish Year 5767

ellice wrote:
On 9/25/06 10:58 AM, "Brenda Lewis" wrote:

wrote:
I find this one highly irritating
currently because I have had a migraine since June 1st. I mean it's
constant and daily. I have missed 3 days of work because of it, two
because a doctor tried to break it by keeping me more or less asleep
for two solid days. One of my higher ups keeps urging me to consider
disability, because my pain is obvious to everybody, and I won't.

OMG! Almost 4 months of a migraine?! I hope that is all it is and that
you find relief soon.

OUCH - poor baby. I know you've got meds. Seriously, if you're having such
horrific episodes - could it be something else besides migraine? And, you
might honestly consider doing disability - which if you can't work properly
full time, would still let you work some part-time, but help you with not
having to totally suffer going to work when you're not able.

LMK if you need anything - it's a faster trip to Manassas now than it used
to be! I sent you the numbers before....

Ellice

Meds keep it so that I can function, if not happily. Worst part of
working is the computer and flourescent lights.

I'm back in my field of choice now, might get to use the degree at some
point, and I am hanging tough and not allowing the fact that I'm in
pain to stop me now that I'm out of the house! Twelve years as the
stay at home mom with minimal income from at home businesses was
enough!

Caryn

Old September 25th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Lucille wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Dr. Brat wrote:
Karen C - California wrote:
Dr. Brat wrote:

[...]

And you just had to be snarky to a post I made. At least things are
consistent all the way around.

I am not feeling sorry for myself, if I was I'd have been constantly
whining about this headache starting months ago. This is the first
time I've mentioned it, and it was only mentioned in connection with
claims of disability, and the discrepancies in stories.

I was not "looking for a fight" I was pointing out a certain inequality
that exists on this board. I barely post anymore, because I can't talk
about how I feel about anything without certain people snarking at me,
looking for a fight themselves.

Caryn

Old September 26th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Lucille wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

One other thing I have found fascinating about this thread...Sheena did
not jump in to defend "Poor Karen" as she would have the moment I said
anything like what Elizabeth said.

The difference being that I don't make a career out of picking on Karen
for apparently no reason.

I'm really sorry you have had a headache for 4 months, but being nasty won't
make it better.

Apparently you're still looking for a fight and feeling sorry for yourself
at the same time.

You're still nasty and just too ready for a fight.

Awww, c'mon, Lucille! You expected Caryn to give up a chance to take a
shot at me, Karen, and Sheena all at once? Please. And here you go
ruining her chance to get away with it, by putting her post where I can
see it.

I gotta say, I find this place much more pleasant when I can't see her!

Elizabeth

Happy New Year Janner Quilting 2 January 14th 06 10:27 AM
Happy New Year The Larsons Quilting 0 December 31st 05 07:04 PM
[AD] New at Trash City: Hebrew Letters, Pendulums, Bead Stoppers + Happy New Year! Trashcitybeads Beads 0 January 2nd 05 09:30 PM
Happy Lunar New Year! Erin-Joi Collins McNeal Rubberstamps 0 January 22nd 04 04:57 PM