Raised cup stitch question

Old August 31st 04, 06:49 AM
Jeanine3

Default Raised cup stitch question

Okay I'm sitting here with my Australian Embroidery & Cross-Stitch Vol.
10, No. 11. At the back they always have diagrams of the stitches used.
There is one called Raised Cup Stitch which looks intriguing. I've gone
over every pattern in the issue and cannot see where it is actually
used. It seems to me a Stumpwork kind of stitch. You build a couple of
rows of buttonhole around a triangular hole in the middle. It then says
to fill (the hole) with a bead or polyfil and gather the shape (of
buttonhole stitches) over the filling before "ending it off".
I'd love to see a "real" example as the diagram only shows the triangle
with the two rows of buttonhole around it - not the actual finished
thing. Unless I'm totally blind, there is no stitched example in the
patterns used in the issue. Can someone put me out of my misery?
LOL! Glad I buy these things for "enjoyment"!!
;-)
Jeanine in Canada
Old August 31st 04, 04:06 PM
Jacqueline

Here's a sample with cup stitch worked on it, although you can't distinguish
it very well:
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/sti...ico/index.html

And here are the instructions for those interested in trying it:
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/sti...tches/cup.html

--
Jacqueline
Carmichaels PA

Old August 31st 04, 04:40 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Wonderful example and instructions. The motifs in cup stitch are
readily seen at the bottom right corner.

Normally it's not gathered, but left open, like the center of a daffodil
(as a quick, readily visualized example).

This is reminding me of my "pea" shape I talked about a week or so ago,
that's worked similarly but on a chain stitch, rather than a triangular
base. How DO you get that thing round. grin I've figured it out, but
have yet to produce a "lovely" one.

Cup stitch is common to both Brazilian and raised work.

Dianne

Old August 31st 04, 06:56 PM
Jeanine3

Thank you Jacqueline! Are they those little "barnacles" on the
right-hand side?
Jeanine in Canada

Old August 31st 04, 07:01 PM
Jeanine3

Ahhh! (light bulb goes on) There are instructions for making it "round"
in the magazine. So you could close it up by running your thread around
the top buttonholes and pulling tight to get a "pea"? I think I've got it!
Jeanine in Canada

Old August 31st 04, 11:16 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Jeanine3 wrote:
Ahhh! (light bulb goes on) There are instructions for making it "round"
in the magazine. So you could close it up by running your thread around
the top buttonholes and pulling tight to get a "pea"? I think I've got it!

Yep. Ya got it!! But once you close it off - it's no longer raised
"cup". It's a needlelace ball on a triangular base. :-) Ya see how
using a word or phrase that doesn't belong can just drive ya nuts? It
can't be a "cup" if it's a "ball".

This must be one large ball to be able to stuff it. Most of these that
I've worked are quite tiny. The pea I was working on wasn't stuffed at
all but pretty much held its shape. You have me wondering, however, if
stuffing it slightly would round it up better for me.

This is reminding me of a stitch I have yet to try again because I was
so dastardly confounded by it. Raised cup AGAIN but as a base for a
bead which stuck up quite a ways from this "cup" base. That was several
years ago. My skills have improved since then. With all this talk, if
I get some time, I should try it once more.
Dianne

Old September 1st 04, 05:11 AM
Jeanine3

I was wondering about the size too because two rows of buttonhole, no
matter how loose, can't really be that big... can they?
Maybe they did mean it as a base for a bead as the 'structions say "fill
with bead or polyfil". This was why I wanted to see a picture of the
finished thing but can't seem to find it in this particular issue.

So... how do you make a needlelace ball? evil grin I'm getting in over
my head!
Jeanine in Canada

Old September 1st 04, 03:46 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

What issue? I'll try to nose around today and find a picture and post
it for you on my website.
Dianne

Old September 2nd 04, 04:10 AM
Jeanine3

Dianne,
It is the Australian Embroidery & Cross Stitch Magazine Vol. 10 No. 11
Jeanine

Jeanine3 wrote:

I was wondering about the size too because two rows of buttonhole, no
matter how loose, can't really be that big... can they?
Maybe they did mean it as a base for a bead as the 'structions say
"fill with bead or polyfil". This was why I wanted to see a picture of
the finished thing but can't seem to find it in this particular issue.

So... how do you make a needlelace ball? evil grin I'm getting in
over my head!
Jeanine in Canada

Cross Stitch magazines for sale Patty Skaja Marketplace 1 August 18th 12 04:20 AM
Huge list of Cross Stitch Items for Sale Theresa Marketplace 0 August 30th 03 02:52 AM
Stitch Question Alison Needlework 2 August 6th 03 02:19 PM
Lost Stitches Russell Miller Needlework 22 August 3rd 03 06:08 AM
Traditional Cross Stitch Method Question Jacquard_The_Ripper Needlework 4 July 31st 03 06:40 PM