OT - Chemo caps

Old October 22nd 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Default OT - Chemo caps

My son has asked me to make a chemo cap for a friend of a friend. The
friend saw the doo-rag I made for my son out of Boise State fabric & thought
the friend going through chemo would love one. Since I have no idea the
size of this woman's head, I thought I would just make a triangular scarf
for her that would fit regardless of her head size.

Or should I make it square instead of a triangle? I looked on the 'net and
found some for sale that were either 30", 32" or 36" squares that wrapped
around and were tied behind the head. Seems to me a 36" square would be
awfully big.

Do you think that would be a feasible way to make a quick cap for someone
you don't know?

I've made 3 doo-rags for my son, none of which has fitted him exactly the
way he wants it. One from a pattern I bought, two more from tearing apart
a store-bought doo-rag and using that for a pattern. He thinks all of them
are too big, but it's really hard to alter a pattern like that with curved
seams and get it to come out right.

Donna in SW Idaho

Old October 22nd 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_3_]

I asked a similar question back on 9/8/2008 -- and several folks posted
links and added additional information as well.

You might want to just search for Chemo Caps -- you should be able to find
them.

--
Kate in MI

Old October 22nd 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

I don't want to buy a pattern since I have no idea of her head size.
Probably will just make the scarf then it will fit regardless! I did look
around on the 'net for patterns. That's where I found the scarf ideas.

Donna in SW Idaho

Old October 22nd 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

This site contains a "not quite doo rag that is more adjustable.
Might work--

http://www.nancysnotions.com/jump.do...ril03ar ticle

Anna Belle in Palm Bay

Old October 23rd 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

Second answer--this is the site I was looking for:

http://fosteringlove.tripod.com/id12.html

Hope it helps, been there/done that
Anna Belle

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:39:04 -0600, "Donna in Idah
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=C3351880

Old October 23rd 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

I made several dozen from this pattern and donated to the cancer center.
Also made matching ones for son and dil to wear under their motorcycle
helmets.
http://sewabout.home.att.net/ChemoHat.pdf

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old October 23rd 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

While following the nancysnotions links, I stumbled onto this lady -
http://www.chemohatpatterns.com/welcome.html - she has some really nice
patterns. When I emailed her, she said she is releasing a new pattern in a
couple weeks. Even better :-) she makes blankets for Project Linus and
donates to her local chapter!

Donna in SW Idaho

Old October 23rd 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Anna Belle kindly included the link for the free Creative Kindness Patterns
at Nancy's Notions. (Yea Nancy for making this available!!) I would like to
add a tip from a friend who had the bald head from chemotherapy. She said
that the scarf or such would sit on the head better, and look better too, if
she used a woman's shoulder pad on top of her head! This would be a pad from
shirt or blouse. I passed this tip along to another friend, and she was
pleased. HTH.
PAT in VA/USA

Old October 25th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

Pat,
This is one idea I have never heard before. I used bandana scarves a
lot and now own a "Head Warmer Quilt:. Completely made of the
bandanas and Quilt for the Cure fabrics. Found I had to wear
something at night to keep from being cold, and this is when I used
the Chemo Caps. Gave them all to Cancer Society when finished.
Several came from members of RCTQ.
8 year survivor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anna Belle

chemo caps maryd[_3_] Quilting 1 February 21st 08 03:12 AM
Chemo Caps Heather in WestOz Quilting 6 May 5th 06 01:02 PM
chemo caps C Lee Yarn 0 August 28th 03 03:16 AM
Chemo caps Elena Quilting 1 August 8th 03 03:34 AM