OT - and so it begins

Old November 7th 04, 04:49 AM
starlia

Default OT - and so it begins

Dear God what is our president thinking?!? Don't get me wrong, I like Bush
but this is crazy talk.

If you guys know me, as most of you do, you know that I'm super liberal in
many of my beliefs and thoughts. I'm so pro-choice it's not even funny.
Thank God I didn't grow up in a time if I got pregnant I could go see a
Mexican hat dancer to get an illegal abortion in an abandoned house. I
would never get an abortion but I want the right to chose. That's pretty
basic in my book. I also want the right to chose to take birth control if
I'm not married but want to have a sexual relationship with a partner.

Crazy talk I'm telling you.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

"vj" wrote in message
Dear All,

President Bush has announced his intention to appoint Dr. W. David
Hager to head up the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA)
Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee. This committee has not
met for more than two years, during which time its charter
lapsed. As a result, the Bush Administration is tasked with filling
all eleven positions with new members. This position does not require
Congressional approval. The FDA's Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory
Committee makes crucial decisions on matters relating to
drugs used in the practice of obstetrics, gynecology and related
specialties, including hormone therapy, contraception, treatment for
infertility, and medical alternatives to surgical procedures for
sterilization and pregnancy termination.

Dr. Hager is the author of "As Jesus Cared for Women: Restoring Women
Then and Now." The book blends biblical accounts of Christ healing
women with case studies from Hager's practice. His views of health
care are far outside the mainstream for reproductive technology and
modern gynecological practice. Dr. Hager is a practicing OB/GYN who
describes himself as "pro-life" and refuses to prescribe
contraceptives to unmarried women. In the book Dr. Hager wrote with
his wife, entitled "Stress and the Woman's Body," he suggests that
women who suffer from premenstrual syndrome should seek help from
reading the bible and praying. As an editor and contributing author of
"The Reproduction Revolution: A Christian Appraisal of Sexuality
Reproductive Technologies and the Family," Dr. Hager appears to have
endorsed the medically inaccurate assertion that the common birth
control pill is an abortifacient (causes abortion).

We are concerned that Dr. Hager's strong religious beliefs may color
his assessment of technologies that are necessary to protect
women's lives or to preserve and promote women's health. Dr. Hager's
track record of using religious beliefs to guide his medical
decision-making makes him a dangerous and inappropriate candidate to
serve as chair of this committee. Critical drug public policy and
research must not be held hostage by anti-abortion politics. Members
of this important panel should be appointed on the basis of science
and medicine, rather than politics and religion. American women
deserve no less.

There is something you can do. Below is a letter to be sent to the
White House, opposing the placement of Hager. Please copy all the
text of this message and paste it into a fresh email; then sign your
name below and SEND THIS TO EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW
WHO IS CONCERNED ABOUT WOMEN'S RIGHTS.

e-mail to

I oppose the appointment of Dr. W. David Hager to the FDA Reproductive
Health Drugs Advisory Committee.

Mixing religion and medicine is unacceptable in a policy-making
position. Using the FDA to promote a political agenda is inappropriate
and seriously threatens women's health. Members of this important
panel should be appointed on the basis of science and medicine, rather
than politics and religion. American women deserve no less.

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books)

Old November 7th 04, 05:00 AM
Jalynne

Ok, I'm gonna put myself out here, but oh well. I'm a fairly conservative Christian
in my beliefs. This guy, in my opinion, is waaaaaaaaay off. And I don't mean in
just his beliefs. A couple of bricks shy, at the very least. Please please please
don't let this guy's statements speak for all Christians. I'm totally ashamed of
him, and do not agree with his platform. Although I won't be sending the wording of
this particular letter, I will be sending one of my own.

K...donning my fire retardant undies, because being this vulnerable scares me.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old November 7th 04, 05:05 AM
Jalynne

Still sending a letter...LOL. Never too late to protest.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Margie" wrote in message
I thought I've seen this news before and it appears I'm right. Check
this out. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/hager.htm

As far as I can tell, you've received an email circulated a couple of
years ago and didn't have enough of an impact. Dr. Hager's appt.
happened in 12/02 and continues through 6/05.
http://www.fda.gov/cder/audiences/ac...tiveRoster.htm

Margie

Old November 7th 04, 05:10 AM
Margie

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 05:00:21 GMT, "Jalynne"
wrote:

Ok, I'm gonna put myself out here, but oh well. I'm a fairly conservative Christian
in my beliefs. This guy, in my opinion, is waaaaaaaaay off. And I don't mean in
just his beliefs. A couple of bricks shy, at the very least.

Scary!

Please please please
don't let this guy's statements speak for all Christians.

No, no never, Jalynne.

--
Margie
"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our

Old November 7th 04, 05:42 AM
Carol in SLC

well, they're sure scared of SOMETHING.

Talk about an understatement.

Carol in SLC
Some of my stuff: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/peace.jpg
http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/elissa.jpg
http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/oceansprite.jpg
http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/jarvis.jpg
Old November 7th 04, 06:06 AM
Kalera Stratton

Unfortunately, I knew about this well in advance... several articles
were written about Bush's intention to appoint this guy.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old November 7th 04, 07:12 AM
starlia

]Dear God what is our president thinking?!? Don't get me wrong, I like
Bush
]but this is crazy talk.

and i don't understand, since there is so much of exactly this sort of
thing in his administration, how you can continue to support him.

I like the man and I like what he did after 9/11. The way our troops have
been working is not entirely up to our government. We do have our hands
tied because of the UN and that's something that upsets me as well.

I'm a believer in God and consider myself a Christian although I approach
religion differently than most people I know. I still feel a woman
shouldn't have to go through something so tramatic just to get an abortion
if she chooses. I don't let my religion get in the way of my practical
thinking. I hope that makes sense to some.

did you know about the signs at the Grand Canyon and in many of the
National Parks? his 'science advisors' that MUST agree with him, and
the agenda, in order to remain on the committees? the prayer
meetings before meetings start?

What signs? What do they say?

Old November 7th 04, 07:24 AM
Kalera Stratton

Don't be sorry... a lot of people didn't know, and it's valid
information. People really do need to know.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kalera Stratton
:

]Unfortunately, I knew about this well in advance... several articles
]were written about Bush's intention to appoint this guy.

i'm sorry i posted it. i didn't realize it was two years old!

Old November 7th 04, 08:55 AM
starlia

That really cracks me up. Even as a Christian I can see that evolution
happened and is happening. I believe the bible as well. We may have come
from Adam and Eve who God created. However, there is proof, hard scientific
data, that shows evolution at some levels do exist.

The Grand Canyon was the result of the great flood?! Bwahahaha. It's
called erosion and took many more years that since Noah's arrival on the
earth.

Don't you ever wish you could have a direct line to the creator and ask him
all these questions? I sure do. If I make it past St. Peter then I have a
question list longer than the life flashing before my eyes scene.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "starlia"
:

]What signs? What do they say?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/01/07/re...s.displays.ap/

National Park Service
Wednesday, January 7, 2004 Posted: 2:31 PM EST (1931 GMT)

Bible verse depicted on a plaque at the Grand Canyon in July 2003.

PHOENIX, Arizona (AP) -- With its eye-catching photographs of the
Grand Canyon and the blue waters of the Colorado River, the hardback
"Grand Canyon: A Different View" is a medium seller at the national
park's bookstore.

But the book's claim that the Grand Canyon was formed as a result of
the great flood of Genesis and is therefore only a few thousand years
old has thrust the park into the debate over whether it is fitting to
display religious materials at public sites.

Some critics say the book is the latest example that the National Park
Service has caved to pressure from conservative and fundamentalist
Christian groups, accommodating their requests to post or alter
materials.
-----
and:
Canyon officials removed scripture-bearing signs earlier

The dispute over the book came only weeks after Scripture-bearing
displays posted at the park caused a similar debate that led to the
signs' removal and return.

Plaques quoting the Bible were first placed at scenic points of the
canyon's South Rim about 30 years ago by the Evangelical Sisterhood of
Mary.

Grand Canyon officials took them down this summer after an inquiry
from civil libertarians and consultations with the U.S. Solicitor's
Office, O'Sickey said.

Then, the National Park Service ordered that the plaques be returned
to the Grand Canyon while officials took a second look at the issue.

Now, the Justice Department is reviewing whether the plaques should be
taken down permanently or remain at the park, Barna said.

"We're just not comfortable in making that decision," he said.

The Park Service also is under fire for agreeing to change a video on
the Lincoln Memorial following complaints by conservatives that it
featured mostly liberal causes, Barna said.

One conservative lobbying group, the Traditional Values Coalition,
objected to footage displaying gay rights and abortion rights
demonstrations at the monument.

the article goes on. many of the National Park Service are outraged.
the parks belong to all of us. not just the religious right.

Old November 7th 04, 11:06 AM
Beadbimbo

Lol. I think my daughter's first question would be, "Why did you invent
wasps?"

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com