The Death of Ski Sweaters and Ganseys - Long

Old March 29th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default The Death of Ski Sweaters and Ganseys - Long

I think Aaron that the real reason for this is that manmade Non knit
sport clothes are esier to take care of , than handknits , and that is
the main reason for less use of kbnitted sweaters . Also so manmde
material Suits are Water proof, which is usefull when somebody skies.
And last but not least the long time that many people knitted less ,,
you have to remember that knitting is having a Come back....but for so
many years many women didn`t knit ...It was Cheaper easier and much
more REASONABLE to use the wonderful easy to take care of wonderful
ready made Sports suits.
With all respect to your words , you start your idea from the end
result and work it back to explain it.On the way you sort of disregard
the Trend , the changes in working forces [ more women working with
having kids and having to copre with 100s other `little duties` - thus
no time to knit`. It might do you good to read a bit about Herstory,
and see how that affected the use of certain clothing items. Social
trends are affected not only by 'Heating` , they are much more
affected by the Economic Needs of the powers that Be , that needed the
women in the Workforce , thus fashion and trends were mobilized, just
like in the 15th century when women were shown the pictures of the
"Knitting Maddona " with the Behind push to become 'housewives' , Now
trends and fashions had the behind push "Buy more ready mades go work
in office !!!!" ...
mirjam
mirjam

Yarnstandards.com is the end of ski sweaters and fisherman's ganseys. I am
not saying that the Standard Yarn Weight System is the cause of the end of
ski sweaters and fisherman's sweaters, any more than a bridge is the cause
of the end of a road, but when you get to the end of the road, there is the
bridge.

Nobody skis in sweaters any more, for one very good reason - Modern sweaters
are too loosely knit. A real ski sweater needs to be tightly knit and close
fitting. (Recently, I went downhill skiing, and was the only one on the
slopes wearing a sweater. There were many people in the lodge, the
restaurants, the shops, and the town wearing "ski sweaters," so I know "ski
sweaters" were around, but I was the only person actually skiing in a
sweater.)

Modern designers assume that their creations will be worn in modern heated
environments, and therefore should not be too warm. These days, skiers
wear their sweaters in the car, and in the lodge, and not schussing down the
slopes. Thus, modern ski sweaters are knit loosely and have a loose fit
that keeps them from being too warm.

Likewise, nobody wears fisherman's sweaters fishing any more! So, designs
that were traditionally knit tightly to be very warm are now knit loosely,
so they are not so warm. (Fine stitch patterns are now done large and look
crude.)

We have established a feedback cycle. Our knit goods are designed to be
cooler, so that they can be worn in warmer environments. Then, when
somebody wants real cold weather gear, they select a pile jacket rather than
the available knit goods. If people are not wearing knit goods in really
cold environments, then there is more tendency to design knit goods that are
not so warm -- that is: loosely knit and loosely fitting. Today we design
sweaters for folks that are going to the mall, rather than for folks that
are going to fish, or to ski or sailing , or to follow the hunt. We have
abandoned the sports wear market. We make imitation sports wear.

The needle recommendations in the yarn standards are to knit fabrics that
are loose, and not too warm. As long as we follow those recommendations,
our knitting will be porous to the drafts, and flutter in the breeze. And
worse, they will sag. And they will not be so durable, after all, the
standards assume that you want a "cool" fashion statement.

Save your man from frostbite. Knit him a ski sweater out of worsted weight
wool on #3 needles. Keep your boy warm by knitting him a gansey out of DK
weight on # 1 needles. (Then, send them off skiing and fishing. They need
the exercise!) And then, make yourself a cup of tea with water heated on a
fire fueled by a your print out of the Standard Yarn Weight System, because
the price of energy is going up and we are going to need warmer sweaters.

Aaron

Old March 29th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote:
It is my "bobbles" that slow me down!

Why?

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 29th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default The Death of Ski Sweaters and Ganseys - Long & Dry

I went to mall, after mall, after mall, and I looked at commercially
available ski sweaters and noting that they were not as suitable for skiing
as sweaters available 40 years ago. The sweaters that I skied in 40 years
ago were also commercially machine knit. My post was to note a change in
commercial practice since WWII that had implications for the craft and hobby
of knitting.

As I was leaning about knitting ganseys, I would knit swatches using the
needles recommended on the yarn band, and not get the results that I was
seeking. I found this very confusing and frustrating. My post was the result
of puzzling on this for a couple of years. I stated that the needles
commonly recommended on yarn bands are not the correct needles for real ski
sweaters and real ganseys. The Yarn Standards reflect recent practices of
knitwear designers. These designers try to maximize the appeal of their
garments. Since more Yankees go to the mall, than go skiing or sailing,
these designers produce garments that are more suitable for mall wear than
for skiing or for sailing. My post was to remind hobby knitters of the
traditions of knitting on finer needles.

One virtue of knitting is that truly beautiful garments can be constructed
out of a wide variety of materials including silk, acrylic, nylon, and
polypropylene. But, some traditional knit fabric constructions take great
advantage of properties unique to particular wool yarns. Such garments are
more elegantly attractive than any "sports suit". However, I believe that
because knit wool is inherently warm, many modern knitwear designers
compromised these traditional approaches to fabric construction to produce
garments that are more appropriate in warmer environments (and cheaper!!!)
In these compromises, some of the traditional beauty and functionality of
the traditional constructions has been lost. That is the nature of
compromises. My post was to remind folks that the traditional knitwear
constructions have their own significant virtues.

Most craft and hobby knitters will want to follow the lead of modern
knitwear designers and knit looser fabrics with more "ease". Modern knitwear
designer are after all -- experts. My post was to remind knitters that there
are alternative approaches that can produce truly wonderful results. One
can deviate from the yarn standard, and still produce "superior" knitting.
As hobbyists, we (sometimes) have the luxury of devoting extravagant amounts
of time to knitting products that are far superior to items commercially
produced for the mass market. My post was to point out an opportunity for
competent amateurs to produce results that far exceed those of the modern
professionals. Such opportunities are rare.

Aaron

Old March 29th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote:
I went to mall, after mall, after mall, and I looked at commercially
available ski sweaters and noting that they were not as suitable for skiing
as sweaters available 40 years ago. The sweaters that I skied in 40 years
ago were also commercially machine knit. My post was to note a change in
commercial practice since WWII that had implications for the craft and hobby
of knitting.

Ahhh, the question is - did you go to any ski shops? I've been in some
in the past few years and the sweaters are knit similarly to the ones of
30+ years ago. Department store `ski sweaters' aren't made to be skied
in, but to be seen in -- at the lodge.

[...]

Thank you for your reminder.

sue
Old March 29th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

A bobble is either a mistake, or a decorative stitch that takes a long time
to knit. Bad pun!

Old March 29th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"suzee" wrote in message
I went to mall, after mall, after mall, and I looked at commercially
available ski sweaters and noting that they were not as suitable for

skiing
as sweaters available 40 years ago. The sweaters that I skied in 40

years
ago were also commercially machine knit. My post was to note a change

in
commercial practice since WWII that had implications for the craft and

hobby
of knitting.

Ahhh, the question is - did you go to any ski shops? I've been in some
in the past few years and the sweaters are knit similarly to the ones of
30+ years ago. Department store `ski sweaters' aren't made to be skied
in, but to be seen in -- at the lodge.

Your point about "Department store sweaters" is my theme exactly. Now, we
are just talking about time lines and extent.

The malls were in Trucky, South Lake Tahoe, Squaw Valley, Snow Bird, (UT),
Steam Boat Springs, (CO) amoungst others. All real near ski resorts. (A ski
buddy had an insatiable need to visit Internet Cafes.) One "mall" consistes
of a ski equipment shop, a ski rental shop, a ski clothing shop, a ski
waxing shop, and a coffee shop near Sugar Bowl. I like the owner, he has a
lot of old ski gear and photos of skiers dating back to the 1920's. That is
the place that got me thinking about this theme. ----- Of course this is
just Calfornia and it never really gets cold here. Who needs real ski
sweaters here?
Aaron

SNIP
Thank you for your reminder.

sue

Old March 29th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
[...]

You do up in Truckee/Tahoe in the winter! I lived there for about 5
years in the late 70s. That's where my experience with ski sweaters
comes from.

sue
Old March 30th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Snipping down to the last paragraph.

Aaron wrote:

Save your man from frostbite. Knit him a ski sweater out of worsted

weight
wool on #3 needles. Keep your boy warm by knitting him a gansey out

of DK
weight on # 1 needles. (Then, send them off skiing and fishing. They

need
the exercise!) And then, make yourself a cup of tea with water heated

on a
fire fueled by a your print out of the Standard Yarn Weight System,

because
the price of energy is going up and we are going to need warmer

sweaters.

You know, I recently made my daughter a sweater using size 3 needles and
fingering yarn, which is what the pattern called for, and it's
incredibly light. She absolutely loves it and wears it constantly, but
I can't help but think that it can't be all that warm. Then again, I'm
in Anaheim, CA, and it doesn't get "cold" here, but something a bit
sturdier would be nice when the winds whip up. After reading your post
I've decided to make the same pattern - it's a Debbie Bliss pattern with
lots of cables - using a worsted yarn so she has a nice warm sweater for
next winter.

Thanks for the inspiration, Aaron. Maybe now is the time to dig up that
Alice Starmore _Fisherman Knits_ book and try that one I've been
drooling over for years...

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old March 30th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

AARON , 40 years ago ????
Materials have changed , trends and ways of life have changed , Even
if a pattern from 40 years ago would be used today , the character of
the wool and the wearer wouldn`t be the same... A change in Commercial
practice CANNOT be dealt with a factor in itself !!! it is a a part in
a great `knit` of many other factors. A change in commercial attitude
comes from a change in life habits. Sometimes it comes before the
change , which is already in the happening but not so Visible ,
sometimes it shows up at the same time .....
If you use this Measure ",,,,,, which i had 40 years ago ....." may i
remind you that your shoes also are different , yourself is different,
your food habits and possibilities are different, not to forget your
car and your Communication possibilities .......:::

I went to mall, after mall, after mall, and I looked at commercially
available ski sweaters and noting that they were not as suitable for skiing
as sweaters available 40 years ago. The sweaters that I skied in 40 years
ago were also commercially machine knit.

I am not sure i follow or agree with you on the following remark, one
could EASILY turn this around , more woman went out to work , = thus
less woman had time to knit for their family =hence changing habits or
possibilities for hand knitting changed the practice and request from
the commerce !!!!! + less will to look different .....Everybody wanted
to look like others ,,,, have the same Jeans the same sweaters like
Movie stars[lets] etc.. 40 years ago ,,, yeah i remember ....
My post was to note a change in
commercial practice since WWII that had implications for the craft and hobby
of knitting.

NOT every person knits the same GUAGUE , that why they give you those
numbers ,,,, you should GUAGUE EACH WOOL , the expert knitter doesn`t
FORCE the needles or wool to be in the Given Guague , you use it as a
guide , swatch your own , and than change all stich numbers with your
own Guagued number ...

As I was leaning about knitting ganseys, I would knit swatches using the
needles recommended on the yarn band, and not get the results that I was
seeking. I found this very confusing and frustrating. My post was the result
of puzzling on this for a couple of years. I stated that the needles
commonly recommended on yarn bands are not the correct needles for real ski

Now you puzzle me , Needles aren`t recomended , or you should NOT se
this as a recomendation , just a fact ,, that the Commercial Knitter
of this pattern , used a ceratin needle and got X number of stiches
to knit y number of cm ,,,,,, you always should try to se how many
stiches make how many cm or inches for YOU .....
sweaters and real ganseys. The Yarn Standards reflect recent practices of
knitwear designers. These designers try to maximize the appeal of their
garments. Since more Yankees go to the mall, than go skiing or sailing,
these designers produce garments that are more suitable for mall wear than
for skiing or for sailing. My post was to remind hobby knitters of the
traditions of knitting on finer needles.

Thank you , i understand this as a very kind offer , but i also think
that the use of needles is a very personal matter as No knitter is the
same ... needles should be enjoyed by the knitter , be a help not a
liability nore something to feel `wrong` about ,,, every knitter
should feel free to chose what suits her /him .
One virtue of knitting is that truly beautiful garments can be constructed
out of a wide variety of materials including silk, acrylic, nylon, and
polypropylene. But, some traditional knit fabric constructions take great
advantage of properties unique to particular wool yarns.

Traditional , is a relative word , traditional wasn`t so close to
polypropylene or acrilycs etc,,,, and for that matter i wouldn`t even
call nylon traditional knitting ... [ladies who knew how to repair
nylon stockings were called "Artistic Repaireres" and had specail
electric needles to do it. Traditional means that the local knitters
used what they had !!! and by use of several generations dveloped some
habits of how to make the bst use of their materials ,,,, Steeking for
example is Unique to Scandinavian countries , Not seen anywhere else .
Silk Kniting was used for Royal socks , later for many Costly socks ,,
for Clerical wear and rarely for the `common knitter` , Silk knitted
was weighted to see if knitter didn`t steal some...
I don`t think the kind of wool determined the `finer` lines of those
knits , but the patterns used , the short rows , the decresse and
increse of stiches and the general idea that knit was `another form of
[woven ] cloth , not a cloth with some extra traits , one could use as
such!!!! Thus since ALL clothes at the time were CLOSE FIT to one`s
body so were Knits .. 40 years ago ladies still wore `supportive` [
more like restrictive!!!] underwear, Body lines were `sculptured` to
look like certain forms the MODA designers invented. and ladies still
under the fantasie of FRENCH COUTURE went along with it .... So if you
wish for Better Fitting Knits i would advice you to start with selling
Supportive /restrictice Girdles , Stuffed Bras, and of course Corsets
.....I don`t see many women willing to do that nowadays ....
And i have a little news for you as well , tight fitting knits aren`t
Neccessarily warmer than the bit looser fitting ones ,,,, After all it
the air in between that keeps us warmer ,,, i am much warmer in skirts
than in tight fitting pants ,,,, And at those times my mother used to
knit pants for me !!!!
Such garments are
more elegantly attractive than any "sports suit". However, I believe that
because knit wool is inherently warm, many modern knitwear designers
compromised these traditional approaches to fabric construction to produce
garments that are more appropriate in warmer environments (and cheaper!!!)

I think you are seeing it in the wrong eyes modern designers
understood that knitting IS NOT woven cloth and Hence it shoul NOT be
treated with the same `construction` rules as woven cloth , Knits are
elastic and fluid Construction seams are prohibitive, and rigid . THe
Mumify the wearer into a certain Accepted form. Knitting is the
freedom and easiness of a body to be what nature gave it. Maybe Being
a man You don`t think about it as we Woman , Nature gave us bodies
that change with life. What you are writing to me , is that you want
me to shape my body into a fantasy, you don`t allow me to enjoy the
natural changes Nature allowed me to enjoy.
In these compromises, some of the traditional beauty and functionality of
the traditional constructions has been lost. That is the nature of
compromises. My post was to remind folks that the traditional knitwear
constructions have their own significant virtues.

Are you still walking or biking to work ? do you cook and bakle your
own food ? do you wear a 3 part Suit , with a Hardened Collar, Do you
wear a tie every day ,, I hope you don`t use Tissues , but wipe your
nose on a White handkerchief !!! No nikes to work, Of course you wear
black or brown shoes which you Brush every day....
I am a weaver as well, and a crocheter , and i must tell you that the
more i wove the more i understood that each Cloth has different uses
and Traits ,, knits are different woven cloth is different crochet is
different , Why impose assembling methods that are wonderful for one
on the other, A true Craft person LISTENS to the materials and works
WITH the materials , with their traits and doesn`t want to impose on
them something that is forign to their nature. YES some of the modern
designers are EXPERTS , they have learned about the True nature of the
materials and try to work with their traits , not impose on them
restrictions that will Shape people, into some image ,,
The Cultural WAR going on mow in the world , is Just about that ,
betwen those who want to control part of your life , and those who
want to control Every bit of your life !!!
I understand your writing and appreciate that you explain your motive,
but i would appreciate it even more if you will base some of it on
more global wide information. Some of your assumptions are nice or
even cute, but lack some of the wider background.
I also think it isn`t kind to write that you want to point out to
hobbists and amatheurs,,,, you don`t know who reads youyr posts , and
what their level of knowledge is in tottal and copmpared to yours. I
believe and trust that everybody has the same knowledge i have ,
unless prooven differently , and even than , who am i to call somebody
names like you freely do . Every one here experts in some parts of our
loved craft , and eagerly learns more from the others who expert in
other parts of it . !!!!
I am also amazed that you look down on.`.modern designers.`.. of
course some are better some aren`t working to your taste , so what ?
who gives you the right to look down on them ? If you like different
type of knits go ahead and knit them , or publish your own designs ,
there is no need to speak in generalities about a whole group , many
of whom you have never met.
mirjam