Errors in Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns

Old March 22nd 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Errors in Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns

When I was trying to lean some new stitch patterns from the "Big Book of
Knitting Stitch Patterns" the result was a tangled mess. I thought it was
just my mistakes as I knitted in the gloom as my wife watched movies, or I
thought I was paying more attention to the movies than to my knitting. But,
as I recheck the photographs, charts, and text directions, in the clear
light of day, I see significant and substantial errors in each, on more
than one stitch pattern.

It is too bad that such a pretty book is so flawed. I encourage beginning
knitters to avoid this book as a text for learning stitches.

Sorry! I call them like I see them.

Aaron

Old March 22nd 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote in message
. com...
When I was trying to lean some new stitch patterns from the "Big Book of
Knitting Stitch Patterns" the result was a tangled mess. I thought it was
just my mistakes as I knitted in the gloom as my wife watched movies, or
thought I was paying more attention to the movies than to my knitting.
But,
as I recheck the photographs, charts, and text directions, in the clear
light of day, I see significant and substantial errors in each, on more
than one stitch pattern.

It is too bad that such a pretty book is so flawed. I encourage
beginning
knitters to avoid this book as a text for learning stitches.

Sorry! I call them like I see them.

Aaron

Reporting is GOOD, Aaron!
However, I do have a query: which edition/version/printing were the
glaring errors IN? (I only ask to point out that "newer"
reprints/versions, etc MAY have been re-edited, with erratta....)
JM2C,
Noreen

(who, for the record, has an original first edition "The old man and the
sea"... and you wouldn't believe the typos!)

Old March 22nd 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

" YarnWright" wrote in message

wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Of course, thinking about it, ole man Hemmingway DID like his booze...
maybe they were HIS OWN original typos!
LOL
Noreen

Old March 22nd 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Big Book of Knitting Stitches
Sterling ISBN 1-4027-0830-0
English translation © 2004 by Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., first printing
(Sold at full price at a major chain bookstore in December of 2005)

See for example page 54, Wide Lattice and Lattice Stripe.

On the Lattice Stripe, the chart symbols distinguish between a "right cross"
and a "right crossover." the Chart indicates two "right cross"(es) in row
three, while the text instructions state one right cross and one right
crossover in row three.

The text for the Wide Lattice says to work it on a multiple of 10 stitches.
The chart shows it to be a bit wider!

Note that on three stitches on pg 53, none of the charts exactly match the
photographs. I noticed the page 53 discrepancies in the bookstore. If I
had spent less time puzzling over them in the bookstore, my wife would not
have noticed the book and would not have bought it for me. Santas around the
world take note!

Aaron

" YarnWright" wrote in message

. com...

Old March 23rd 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

WOW!
Those are most definitely, most definitively glaring errors!
Thanks for sharing, Aaron.
Noreen

wrote in message
om...
[...]

wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Problem with knitting stitch book Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 1 February 23rd 06 03:04 PM
FS/giveaway: Crochet (mostly) books & patterns Joan Erickson Marketplace 2 October 9th 04 09:56 PM
knitting journal Agres Yarn 18 December 26th 03 05:50 PM
FS: Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns, and A SecondTreasury of Knitting Patterns Marilyn S. Safier Marketplace 0 December 1st 03 06:30 PM
My Book Report for Cactus Needles Knitting Guild!!! Slick Hippy chick Yarn 2 November 21st 03 09:23 PM