Self striping yarns..... My yarn wish

Old January 20th 05, 10:46 AM

Default Self striping yarns..... My yarn wish

Ooooops lol I thought I might have been the only guy on this forum as I
haven't met many guys who knit or crochet on the web.

wrote in message
Hi, I just found this newsgroup after finally getting my outlook to

connect
to bellsouths newgroup server. It's only taken me 4 months to figure out
how to do that lol.

Anyway, my name is David...... surprise surprise yes I'm a guy who likes

knit and crochet.
My favorite yarn to work with is Red Heart SuperSaver..... mostly because
it's cheap and comes in a ton of colors..... my one wish however is that I
wish that the company who makes this yarn would make it in self striping
patterns. I think that would be really neat as you could make some cool
striped scarfs without having to cut and tie on a different color.

Does anyone know if there is another brand of yarn that is similar in

wieght
to red heart supersaver that comes in self striping patterns? I would

sure
love to find some.

I've attached a few pictures of a beach bag made of nylon and some berets

made.

Old January 20th 05, 03:03 PM
Janise Ross

HI David,
Welcome to RCTY. Yes, we do have a number of men on the group here. I
offered to teach my husband to knit, but so far, he hasn't taken me up on my
offer. LOL
I do not know if there are any self-striping yarns in worsted weight,
but maybe someone else will be able to tell you.
Although I did enjoy seeing your pictures (You do very nice work. What
else have you made?), you are not supposed to send attachments to the
newsgroup.
Come back and join in our discussions.

Janise

Old January 20th 05, 08:11 PM
David

I'm sorry, I didn't know we couldn't post pictures. Well let me see....
things that I have made starting from when I was really young......

My first finished knit project that I can remember was a big giant purple
sweater. It came out huge because I didn't pay attention to what size
needles I was supposed to use. I think I wore it to school ONE time.... and
only one time because all the other kids laughed at it because it looked so
rediculous. So needless to say since that time for the past
twenty-something years I've never attempted to make another sweater lol.
That experience was traumatizing........ however I have found a cool looking
vest I'm tempted to try making. It's on page 41 of the current InKnitters
magazine. It will probably be a project I'll start in mid-summer this year
or maybe sooner who knows.... Anyway knit-wise I've really only made a few
basic scarfs and some hats. My experience is very limited so I stick with
quick easy projects......

Crochet-wise I've done almost everything under the sun...... bags, pillows,
christmas tree ornaments, bookmarks, hats, scarfs, house shoes, a few never
finished afghans, table runners, doilys, small tablecloth, and some stuffed
animals.

Does anyone know of a newsgroup where picture posting is allowed? I think
it's fun to see what others are doing.

David T.
Currently working on a scarf being knitted with Red Heart Buff Fiesta yarn
on size 9 needles.

Old January 20th 05, 10:21 PM
Richard Eney

In article ,
David wrote:
I'm sorry, I didn't know we couldn't post pictures. Well let me see....
things that I have made starting from when I was really young......

My first finished knit project that I can remember was a big giant purple
sweater. It came out huge because I didn't pay attention to what size
needles I was supposed to use. I think I wore it to school ONE time.... and
only one time because all the other kids laughed at it because it looked so
rediculous. So needless to say since that time for the past
twenty-something years I've never attempted to make another sweater lol.
That experience was traumatizing........

sympathy Did you eventually grow into it? I know, probably it was
long gone by then, or too lacy looking or something. At least you
finished it!

however I have found a cool looking
vest I'm tempted to try making.

Yay! Go for it!
snip
Anyway knit-wise I've really only made a few
basic scarfs and some hats. My experience is very limited so
I stick with quick easy projects......

If you made, say, six scarves all the same length and width but with
coordinating patterns/colors, and crocheted them together, they'd be an
afghan. Crocheted together a different way, they could be a dofuko coat
(sort of a short kimono). Squares get done even faster, and can be put
together the same way.

Crochet-wise I've done almost everything under the sun...... bags, pillows,
christmas tree ornaments, bookmarks, hats, scarfs, house shoes, a few never
finished afghans, table runners, doilys, small tablecloth, and some stuffed
animals.

Whee! What a lot of completed projects!

If you put those unfinished afghans together, would they make a finished
afghan? Could they be converted into something else?

Remember, a project is done when you say it is done, and it is what
you say it is. :-)

Does anyone know of a newsgroup where picture posting is allowed? I think
it's fun to see what others are doing.

Most newsgroups don't allow pictures; to find pictures, you want one
that ends with ".binaries" - unfortunately, many of those are infested
with everything else. What we usually do is put pictures on a website
somewhere and just post the URL for the website here.

Currently working on a scarf being knitted with Red Heart Buff Fiesta
yarn on size 9 needles.

Sounds nice!

=Tamar
Old January 20th 05, 10:37 PM
Ruth409028

my one wish however is that I
wish that the company who makes this yarn would make it in self striping
patterns. I think that would be really neat as you could make some cool

The only yarns I know of are sock yarns in a lighter weight than Red Heart
Super Saver. I think it is a 30 ply.

Also, some of the fun fur will stripe, but don't know which ones. I did a
multicolor fun fur scarf and for some reason, it striped. But, I haven't been
able to do it again. I think it was just a fluke. Welcome to RCTY. Frances

Take Jacques out before replying.
Old January 20th 05, 11:09 PM
Shillelagh

"David" wrote in message

Does anyone know of a newsgroup where picture posting is allowed? I think
it's fun to see what others are doing.

As an example for you, I have photo albums on Yahoo - it's free and quite
easy to use. Go here to have a quick look:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shelaghdca/my_photos

Give it a try, and good luck (grin) !!
Shelagh

Old January 20th 05, 11:20 PM
Aud

"
Does anyone know of a newsgroup where picture posting is allowed? I
think
it's fun to see what others are doing.

David, I have put my photos on WebShot. The fee part is limited, but
more than enough for me so far!
--
AUD ;-))
alrefsnesathotmaildotcom

Old January 21st 05, 02:17 AM

Hi David,

Welcome to this great group and I'm so happy to see someone else loves
Red Heart SuperSaver yarn. This is the only kind I use for the afghans
for Project Linus. I'm now using a "P" size hook and two strands of the
yarn to make afghans. So far I've finished four this year. I hope you
find some place to show your pictures.

Nora

Old January 21st 05, 02:34 AM
Katherine

David wrote:
[...]

I never saw your pictures because my server refuses to accept them in
newsgroups. Most of us have albums so that we can see each other's work.
(and family!)
Here is the URL of my albums.
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

BTW, gang, there are new pictures of Jesika there!

Katherine

Old January 21st 05, 02:41 AM
m1h

If you are using DSL from a cable or phone company, you may have "free"
space for a web site as part of your monthly service. You need a bit of
computer savvy, but you have more control.

Mark
http://home.nyc.rr.com/m1h/

David wrote:
[...]

.. .

Need name of yarn Linda Yarn 8 April 8th 04 06:05 PM
Addicted To Yarn Shopping? DA Yarn 15 January 26th 04 05:19 PM
Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 03:09 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 04:30 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM