kind thoughts and prayers requested, please

Old July 18th 03, 07:19 PM
judy in fort worth

Default kind thoughts and prayers requested, please

My DS is a recent college graduate and is having a really hard time finding
a teaching job. Of course, he (like his librarian mother) had to pick a
field that is very limited. He is looking for a high school athletic
trainer position but can teach health and physical education if he must. He
has had a few interviews but nothing has panned out. There are 4 positions
open in the local area but for some reason, the principal and athletic
directors are dragging their feet about interviewing. School starts for
many local districts in two weeks so time is running out.
Please send a good thought or a prayer for my son that he is able to find a
teaching job for the fall. His health insurance lapses August 1, his
college loans are coming due and he has been unable to find even a part-time
job to help us out. He is living at home until he finds something but that
is becoming stressful for all of us. (DH and I are both teachers.)
TIA

judy in fort worth
remove 4 to reply directly

Old July 18th 03, 07:23 PM
nana2b

Don't lose hope. My friend's son just got a job as a music teacher in
Mckinney on Monday. He too was stressing out! They seem to take their sweet
time about.

Thinking good employment thoughts, Linda

Old July 18th 03, 07:58 PM
Chipper

Is he considering anywhere besides Texas? I don't know the specifics, but
they seem to be scrambling for teachers in NC.
Meanwhile, I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Hang in there!
chipper

.com...

Old July 18th 03, 08:44 PM
Kate Dicey

judy in fort worth wrote:

[...]

BTDT! In 1978 there was a superfluity of English teachers , and I wrote
over 250 applications (all by hand, in those days!) before landing my
first job, which was a two term contract for maternity cover! Not
good. So, when I say I understand and sympathize, you can see this is
from the heart!

Wish him all the best from me - one teacher to another!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old July 18th 03, 11:58 PM
Elena

Will keep him and you all in my thoughts. Has he tried McKinney?
On the other hand, seems the further south you go in Texas, the more the
need for teachers. Oklahoma is usually looking as well. I agree, they do
all take their sweet time about things.
If nothing else, he should get on the substitute teacher list ASAP. Believe
me, once they know they can depend on you showing up, they will call and he
will get day to day work AND get his name known around the schools, so he'll
have a wider network looking out for him. Good luck!

Elena in Tx

Old July 19th 03, 12:14 AM
Susan

I'm with Chipper on this one. I live in Wake County in NC and they
are crying for teachers here. I don't know the subjects they need
teachers for here, but it's worth a shot. It would get him in his own
place! Good luck.

Susan
Old July 19th 03, 12:26 AM
Nurse Ratched

Of course, he (like his librarian mother) had to pick a
field that is very limited

It could be worse! A friend of ours just got his PhD in environmental ethics,
which REALLY narrows the job market if you don't want to teach.

Good luck to your son.

Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
We'll all get back to normal if we put our nation first,
But the trouble with "normal" is, it always gets worse. ~Bruce Cockburn
Old July 19th 03, 02:13 PM
judy in fort worth

He has applied to every school in Texas with an athletic trainer
opening---he is not tied to North Texas at all. His problem is that this
year, because of the economy, no one seems to be leaving the field (AT's
have very long hours and many leave to work in a clinic setting after a few
years.) And with the budget problems facing Texas public schools, a few are
deciding to go without a trainer for awhile. Oklahoma is apparently having
major problems with school funding, too, and many of their teachers are
attempting to move to Texas. Keller had 500+ teachers attend their job fair
this year for less than 50 openings district-wide.
He will be subbing if nothing opens up for him in the next two weeks and he
is applying at all of the physical therapy centers for any PT-tech positions
but he really wants to teach. The sub lists are full (again because of the
economy) so even our "regular" subs did not get much work last year.
He cannot go out of state yet as he has not gotten his national
certification yet---that test was supposed to be next week but there was a
clerical error with his application so they have pushed him off until the
November testing date.
Thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts. I will post again when (see, I
am being confident!) he gets a job.

Judy in fort worth
remove 4 to reply directly

Old July 19th 03, 08:51 PM
MB

Linda....---and full-time music teacher jobs are very hard to come by!!!....
Judy.....Am surprised that they don't accept your son right away!....they
often hire fresh out
of college as they can be hired the cheapest!!...

Old July 21st 03, 08:31 PM
Kellie J. Berger

Cy-Fair has an opening for HS Swim Coach on thier website... dunno if it's
been filled yet and didn't look at details.....but it is in TX!

Kellie
keeping everyone in her prayers...

"Musicmaker" wrote in message
I'll be praying, and will include your request at our prayer meeting
tomorrow night!

--
Lady Cynthia, Royal Musicmaker

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/
Remember, once you get over the hill,
you'll begin to pick up speed.

Thoughts and Prayers Debbie B Beads 1 March 20th 04 10:19 PM
Prayers and thoughts needed EL Beads 14 September 18th 03 09:33 PM