Intro from grbev

Old July 17th 03, 03:22 PM
Roberta Zollner

Welcome Bev, congrats on being a grandma!
What you describe is SABLE: stash acquisition beyond life expectancy :-)
Roberta in D

"grbev" wrote in message
I have recently joined this group and at first posted as Bev Forsling and
now grbev (Grandma Bev). I have been hand quilting for about 40 years. I
love to hand quilt but don't get to as often as I would like. I work as a
volunteer at the LDS Humanitarian Center in Salt Lake City managing

quilting
and fabric donations. I have been doing this for about 4 1/2 years. I
spend most of my time while there putting together quilt tops (crib, twin,
and full) to be make into quilts that are distributed to those in need
around the world. I gain great satisfaction from this work. Another part
of my job is going through boxes and boxes of people's stashes after they
pass away and their families box everything up and send it to us. I have
seen it all! We often get tiny scraps of fabric so small we often use it
for stuffing in the toys and balls that are made and distributed to
orphanages. Obviously it is too labor intensive for us to use for quilts.
I also do lots of sewing for the Center at home, averaging about 20-30

hours
a week. In my spare time, I cut up larger scraps into 9 1/2" squares

(using
a rotary cutter so pieces are true and easier to assemble into quilt

tops).
I have cut thousands of these! They are then distributed to other
volunteers to assemble into quilt tops. When people come to the Center
wanting to do sewing or quilting, they can pick up quilt tops and bottoms
and just need to provide the batting. Our only criteria is that the
materials be used for quilts and then the quilts returned to the Center to
be distributed to the poor and needy. That way we are recycling donations
and they can have the opportunity of doing service at a minimal cost. I
love what I do and it does tend to be all-consuming (without a little self
control!).

One thing I have learned from my quilt work at the Center - control your
stashes, Ladies. What a pain it is for family and others to go through

your
stuff after your death. You know, some of that stuff has a shelf life! I
have seen powdered (!) bonded knit, polyester by the truck load, cotton so
old it practically shreds in your hands, cones of thread that break at the
slightest tug, elastic that has no rebound, etc. This stuff is not

usable!
Storing for a project is good, stock piling till it disintegrates is not.

I look forward to being an active member of this group. I am not a

purist,
just a practical quilter who wants to provide warm hugs around the world

those who need my help.

From Utah,

Bev

Old July 17th 03, 03:43 PM
Musicmaker

Welcome Grandma!

--
Lady Cynthia, Royal Musicmaker

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/
Remember, once you get over the hill,
you'll begin to pick up speed.

"grbev" wrote in message
[...]

From Utah,

Bev

Old July 17th 03, 03:59 PM
grbev

The LDS Humanitarian Center address is:

Latter-day Saint Humanitarian Center
1665 Bennett Road
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
Telephone: (801) 240-6060
Hours: 7:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (Tours from 8:00-4:00)

There is not a center in your area. I believe the closest one is in Idaho
Falls, Idaho. To see more information about this program, go to:

http://www.lds.org/ldsfoundation/wel...1335-1,00.html

"TerriLee in WA" wrote in message
Bev - what a wonderful work you are doing! Could I have an address for
the center where you work? Or are there others that would be more local
to me? (Seattle, WA)?

From Utah,

Bev

--
TerriLee Bishop
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)

Old July 20th 03, 03:15 AM
grbev

Thanks, you are all so kind and make me feel real welcome around the quilt
circle. I have been taking my "Quilt Stash Control" advice to heart and
have been going through tons of stuff I have stockpiled over the past 4-5
years of charity sewing. My gosh, I can't believe how much stuff I have. I
am packing a lot of it up and returning it for other charity sewing
volunteers to do "their magic".

I have been doing so many quilts for charity, that I have not had any time
to do stuff for myself. But that is about to change. I am so excited to
start "Square in a Square" piecing by Jodi Barrows. I have been taking
classes and now feel confident that I can do this. Have any of you tried
this technique?

Thanks again for making me feel so welcome!

From Utah,

Bev

"The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me" wrote in message
Bev-

Welcome! You are a shining example of the true spirit of a quilter!

Leslie in MO.

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old July 20th 03, 08:20 AM
shhdesigns

Yes, it's a fun technique to learn, just remember you will be dealing with a
lot of bias edges. So be careful in your handling of the pieces. I made an
Amish Star Sampler that I quite enjoy.
--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

"grbev" wrote in message
Thanks, you are all so kind and make me feel real welcome around the quilt
circle. I have been taking my "Quilt Stash Control" advice to heart and
have been going through tons of stuff I have stockpiled over the past 4-5
years of charity sewing. My gosh, I can't believe how much stuff I have.

am packing a lot of it up and returning it for other charity sewing
volunteers to do "their magic".

I have been doing so many quilts for charity, that I have not had any time
to do stuff for myself. But that is about to change. I am so excited to
start "Square in a Square" piecing by Jodi Barrows. I have been taking
classes and now feel confident that I can do this. Have any of you tried
this technique?

Thanks again for making me feel so welcome!

From Utah,

Old July 22nd 03, 06:36 AM
grbev

Thanks for the tip.

I am taking a class at Ben Franklin's and am a little disappointed in it.
The class was $60 and includes 12 blocks using different Options of "Square
in a Square." Unfortunately, it is only a "talking" class. We just sit and
watch while the teacher talks about how to do it. We have never used our
rulers, cut fabric, or anything. They said it was because they don't have
room for us to use sewing machines. Unfortunately, I just go to the class
and watch and take my fabric kit home and put in in the drawer. I am
confident that I can do this, but so far have not sewn a stitch. I think
the class needs an overhaul! Kind of reminds me of the appliqué class that
is in another thread on the list. Class expectation is not panning out for
me. I even paid another $30 for Jodi Barrows' latest book. Hopefully, I
can do it better on my own.

From Utah,

Bev

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article ,
"grbev" wrote:

I have been doing so many quilts for charity, that I have not had any

time
to do stuff for myself. But that is about to change. I am so excited

start "Square in a Square" piecing by Jodi Barrows. I have been taking
classes and now feel confident that I can do this. Have any of you

tried
this technique?

Bev, I took a class from Jodi Barrows a few years ago and made a quilt
from her technique. I quite enjoyed it, but I haven't gotten around to
doing much else with it since then. Best of luck! Remember to use starch
or spray sizing to "firm up" those bias edges -- it takes a lot of the
fiddly-ness out of it.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster

Old July 22nd 03, 12:57 PM
nana2b

Hi Bev, sounds like the scenario from the "Music Man". You are being taught
to sew using the "think method". How frustrating. I go to demo classes,
but I know that going in. Try requesting a refund. $60 to just be lectured
is alot. JMHO, Linda

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Re-delurk and intro BeadedFufuberrie Beads 18 November 18th 04 05:27 PM
a proper intro? -- long Peggy Beads 37 September 27th 04 07:47 PM
Intro and newbie question *~Candygrrl~* Beads 26 September 21st 04 06:04 PM
AD: lutrick lampwork beads and an intro llutrick Beads 6 March 31st 04 09:08 PM
Intro and Bead Show info Maria Perez-Bastian Beads 2 December 9th 03 02:10 PM