Quilt Retreat Question

Old February 20th 12, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default Quilt Retreat Question

That's funny and sort of what was in the back of my mind. There are some
female topics that are not fun to listen to but heck the male neighbor next
door here wanted to talk about hemorroids when I saw him yesterday.
Sheesh, go watch dr. oz!
Taria

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message

Of course you should be welcomed at the retreat. It's for quilters -
not female quilters or red hat lady quilters or whatever specific group.
As long as you are there to quilt and can stand to listen to some of the
women whine about menopause you should have a grand time.

marcella

Old February 20th 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

A friend is back in college at the tender age of 50; most of her classes are
all guys and they are going through menopause with her. They are doing
quite well together and it is a good lesson for them. They know when to be
sympathetic and when to stand clear. Polly

Old February 20th 12, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

It wouldn't bother me a bit. Of course, you would have to be prepared
for some "girl talk"

Of course, that assumes that there would be appropriate sleeping and
bathroom facilities for you.

Julia in MN

On 2/20/2012 12:00 AM, Steven Cook wrote:
Hi All

Honest answer needed.

The secretary at work, the one that I love to death and is an obsessive
quilter like me, goes to two quilt retreats a year. One in October and one
in February. They are four days long from Thursday through Sunday. They
rent a bible camp, stay in the dorms, each has a six foot folding table in
the dining commons, get two meals a day, etc. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Guess where she is this weekend?

Anyway, she said that I just HAD to go next year.

So, here is the question(s). Should I go and would you ladies be tweaked if
a guy was at your quilt retreat. I know that you ladies, and I totally
can't blame you, love to have your time away too, from us guys, and I
wouldn't want to encroach on anything.

What say you. She was going to ask around this time as I was really
insistant that she ask. She and her four friends wouldn't be, but . . .

Steven
Alaska

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old February 21st 12, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

I have to say I agree with many of the responses you have received. You
already have a built-in buddy that you can "hang" with & that's part of the
hurdle, I would think. If you are outgoing & willing to take the initiative
to go around & introduce yourself to the other retreaters, I'm sure they
will happily accept you. I'm co-chairing the retreat for my guild this year
(65 ladies). We do have one man in our guild, but he hasn't dipped his toe
in the retreat experience yet. The first time might be the hardest, but by
the end of four days, everyone will love you & look forward to you returning
to future retreats.

Pauline
Northern California

mmunications...

Old February 21st 12, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Sometimes there are "set" groups of women who go to a retreat. For
example, my friend who has her quilt shop also puts on several
retreats a year. [The Creation Station, Buellton, CA] There are 22
spaces, many times there are groups of 4 or 6 who sign up for one
retreat together. Guys are welcome by Dawn but the other women usually
don't feel comfortable. I never fail to learn something at these
gatherings. It would be cool to have guys join in. At times the
partner/husband/significant other of a retreater comes in for several
hours. Dawn also does a "guys only" retreat that is closed, only for
guys. that's the one i want to attend )

It will be interesting to hear what she has to say when she returns.

Ginger in CA

Old February 21st 12, 05:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Go for it!!!

Claudia
Old February 21st 12, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:00:29 -0600, Steven Cook wrote
(in article ications):

[...]

My quilt retreat is coming up soon. We stay at a hunting camp turned
quilting camp in the off season and there is plenty of space/privacy. I
don't think we'd find it awkward if there was a guy at the retreat. Can't
promise that the ladies will watch their tongues and wouldn't embarrass you
though.

Maureen

Old February 21st 12, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I agree with Mary. The requirement is that a person is a quilter. Once
I went to Paducah with a friend who was a garment sewer but not a
quilter. After about half an hour in the vendor area she ask if I
intended to stop at every booth! We want to share our experience with
those that understand why we take perfectly good fabric, cut it into
little pieces and sew it back together. A fun personality also helps
and I think you fit both requirements.

Susan

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 07:52:57 -0600, Mary in Rock Island IL
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:00:29 -0900, "Steven Cook"
wrote:

[...]

I agree with everyone else who has responded so far. Quilt retreats
are for quilters. I go to retreat from people who don't get it. And
I go to retreat with people who do get it.
Hopefully she will come back with the thumbs up so you can start
planning how many projects to take (more that you think because you
won't be interrupted as often).

Mary

Old February 21st 12, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pam[_2_]

Seems as if the general opinion is positive and I'd agree. The retreats are
for quilters. You are a quilter.
Since your friend invited/encouraged you to come, she's on board with you
attending. She could even ask some of the other retreat attenders their
opinions to help you make your decision.
I'm sure you'd have a great time and get lots of quilting done. The other
fun thing is getting to see all of the projects others are working on and
getting ideas from them. There is often the opportunity to help another
quilter who may need some help with technique or just how to put things
together.
I think it would be fun for you, even if you were nervous about meeting
everyone for the first time.
Just my 2 cents,
Pam

Old February 22nd 12, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

Take 2 things with you:

Finished quilt(s) for Show and Tell

AND

Something that you can ask 'opinions' on that you are working on.

Ladies LOVE to 'help' and to do 'Drag and Brag.

I'd LOVE to go to a retreat even if I sat alone just being able to sew
uninterruptedly and not have to 'worry' on making dinner, chores, phone,

Isn't that what retreats are all about ? Getting away?

Butterfly

Quilt Retreat Kate T. Quilting 6 September 9th 07 04:01 AM
Retreat question? Julia in MN Quilting 28 March 17th 07 07:43 AM
Quilt retreat question Kathy Applebaum Quilting 9 January 7th 06 01:57 AM
What to take to a quilt retreat? [email protected] Quilting 30 October 21st 05 08:00 PM
New Quilt Retreat Mardi Quilting 0 June 10th 04 12:05 AM