funny thing

Old March 21st 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default funny thing

OMG, Aaron,

I have no problems with left and right but I have to think very hard
about east and west. When I am home I can figure it out. The sun
sets in front of my house, so that must be west, right? But did you
eevr try to knit on a train?

Ria

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:09:15 GMT, wrote:

One of the funniest things that I know of is a dyslexic knitter trying to
knit an Aran pattern. You know, all those right and left crosses!

My Grandfather understood, he was dyslexic. He never told me to go right or
left, he would say, "Take your end east," or "Go south 3 miles, then go east
2 miles."

But all the patterns for the stitches used in Aran knitting have all those
right and left crosses. I get them all mixed up and make a mess. So for
knitters, dyslexia is a disability, and under the Americans with
Disabilities Act, disabled persons are entitled to reasonable accommodation.
I would like to propose a reasonable accommodation for us dyslexics.

Directions for Aran stitches should start out by saying, "sit on a bench (in
the sun) facing east." Then each cross could be identified as a Northern
cross or a Southern cross. That I can understand and get right. Then, I
would not have to figure out my right and my left in every line of the
directions. If we can not get this accommodation, I am going to have to go
back to wearing my watch when I knit. However, wearing a watch while
knitting makes it too much like work.

Aaron

Old March 21st 06, 10:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

AAron , thank yu for your senseof humour - and the way you solve the
problem - I know of a Catholic friend who works out her right hand OK
because that is the hand used to bless ones self !!! God Bless Gwen

wrote in message
. com...
Actually, I keep my wedding ring on the table by my knitting chair. My
sister made sure that it only fits my left hand so when I wear it, it is
on
the correct hand.

Mostly, I was just making fun of the way that special interest groups
behave
in the US these days.

Aaron

"Katherine" wrote in message
Oh, my, Aaron, I never thought of that! However, if you use a written out
pattern instead of a chart, you should be OK, shouldn't you?

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 23rd 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Unfortunately I am directionaly disfuntional... I don't know east from
west even WITH a map. So I would have trouble with those directions.

I have gotten lost in a large Campground with a map and several people
helping me go in the right direction.

Katheryne
who learned East/ West at my Grandma's house. The house faces Canada
[which is North of us] and watched the sun set over Canada [the sun
sets in the West].. puzzled look