Flannel advice please?

Old July 20th 03, 05:02 AM
Loren in Seattle

Default Flannel advice please?

This group has given me some great advice on starting a flannel quilt, but I
still have a question. My blocks are very simple, large HST's, 8" wide.
Usually I square up HST's but the flannel seems like it needs less handling.
Or maybe since the block is so bit, but so simple that they are already
accurate enough.

What do you think? Should I go back and square them up or trim them? TIA

--
Loren in Seattle

Old July 20th 03, 08:23 AM
Patti

Hullo Loren
I saw a tip somewhere (?!)
If you are not sure whether something is: square, the right size,
whatever, try sewing two together, as you normally would, the measure
the resulting rectangle/whatever. If the blocks aren't square, it would
show up much more on a sewn pair. It is probably because they are
relatively large, that the exact 'squareness' is not immediately
obvious. Our eyes are more attuned to checking squareness in smaller
things.
With all that bias, on flannel, I think it would definitely be worth
checking.
..
In article lvoSa.89851$GL4.25067@rwcrnsc53, Loren in Seattle
writes
This group has given me some great advice on starting a flannel quilt, but I
still have a question. My blocks are very simple, large HST's, 8" wide.
Usually I square up HST's but the flannel seems like it needs less handling.
Or maybe since the block is so bit, but so simple that they are already
accurate enough.

What do you think? Should I go back and square them up or trim them? TIA

--
Loren in Seattle

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 21st 03, 02:59 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

I guess I'm curious why you need to square them up in the first place.
Is it that you do the "make it bigger then trim it to size" method? If
so, and if I understand correctly that these are the only blocks in the
quilt then they should all be the same size. They should still be
nicely square. If it's that they are not square because of sewing
weirdness or because they are being combined with other blocks of a
different size then I would think you'd need to trim them. I like to
use Magic Sizing on stretchy, fluid fabrics that like to change shape on
their own. I find it at my local Safeway next to the starch way down on
the bottom shelf in the laundry aisle.

marcella

Old July 22nd 03, 06:44 AM
Loren in Seattle

My sewing is pretty accurate, but flannel is so stretchy, and with such a
large block it seemed like it might get off kilter more easily.

I think I knew before I posted that I had to trim these puppies but was
tired and avoiding the question. Glad I did trip, found almost 1/4"
variance between the smallest and largest. Not only do flannels shrink at
different rates but they stretch differently also.

Loren in Seattle