Sewing machine for canvas?

Old March 6th 04, 12:58 AM
Jeffrey P. Vasquez

Default Sewing machine for canvas?

Greetings all,

I would be infinitely appreciative of a recommendation for a consumer
sewing machine able to sew canvas. I am just looking to use it for boat
canvas repair and the odd cover now and then and am not looking to put
heavy hours on it.

Many thanks for you help! -jeffrey
Old March 6th 04, 01:27 AM
Maine-iac Rose

Well I had a Singer Touch and Sew that did heavy material like that,
probably best thing is if you can find a sewing shop that has different
sewing machine, then they can tell you what machine that you would be
looking for, and they usually let you test drive them also. Well at least
the ones that I have dealt with in the past.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns and add a hyphen between the 2 words to email me.

"Jeffrey P. Vasquez" wrote in
message . 77...

Old March 6th 04, 01:32 AM
Penny S

Jeffrey P. Vasquez ran this through spell check:
Greetings all,

I would be infinitely appreciative of a recommendation for a consumer
sewing machine able to sew canvas. I am just looking to use it for
boat canvas repair and the odd cover now and then and am not looking
to put heavy hours on it.

Many thanks for you help! -jeffrey

the tips page has some general recommendations:

Tips for Making your own gear
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/tips.asp

you may want to look at a sailrite or a thompson mini-walker. Most home
machines have several problems with canvas;
1 can't run heavy thread
2 not enough piercing power
3 don't take big enough needles

Penny S

--
Specialty Outdoors
Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing

Old March 6th 04, 03:01 AM
CW

Go he http://www.sailrite.com/
40 year old domestic sewing machines would do it with ease though the ones
they make now would probably break. The biggest problem is not penetrating
power. There are a lot of machines that have plenty of power. The biggest
problem is feeding due to the weight of the cloth. That's where a walking
foot comes in. The URL is to Sailrite. Sailmaking is their specialty. They
have what you need. The LS 1 machine that they sell is the same as the
Thompson Mini_Walker. I have one of those. Works great.

Old March 6th 04, 11:39 AM
CRYSTAL

"Jeffrey P. Vasquez" wrote in message .77...
Greetings all,

I would be infinitely appreciative of a recommendation for a consumer
sewing machine able to sew canvas. I am just looking to use it for boat
canvas repair and the odd cover now and then and am not looking to put
heavy hours on it.

Many thanks for you help! -jeffrey

THE PFAFF 130 IS USED A LOT FOR SEWING SAILS. IT IS ANCIENT - BUT
THERE ARE A FEW ON E-BAY. I HAVE ONE OF THESE MACHINES AND IT IS
FANTASTIC!
Old March 6th 04, 10:00 PM
Valkyrie

I have a Husqvarna 6440 that has done this kind of heavy work, also layers
of leather. She's a tough Ol' Gal and I've yet to have any heavy duty job it
couldn't handle. It has a 'slip clutch' that powers down, similar to a deep
reduction gear on a truck. It takes the needles required and has the power
to just wade on through this kind of project. I bought this machine when it
was brand new....I also have a new Designer 1. I love them both but, there's
no way I'd ever give up my 6440.

Val

Old March 9th 04, 07:22 AM
Jeffrey P. Vasquez

"Valkyrie" wrote:
I have a Husqvarna 6440 that has done this kind of heavy work...

Thanks!
Old March 14th 04, 06:05 AM
Sally

"Maine-iac Rose" wrote in message ...
Well I had a Singer Touch and Sew that did heavy material like that,
probably best thing is if you can find a sewing shop that has different
sewing machine, then they can tell you what machine that you would be
looking for, and they usually let you test drive them also. Well at least
the ones that I have dealt with in the past.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns and add a hyphen between the 2 words to email me.

"Jeffrey P. Vasquez" wrote in
message . 77...
Greetings all,

I would be infinitely appreciative of a recommendation for a consumer
sewing machine able to sew canvas. I am just looking to use it for boat
canvas repair and the odd cover now and then and am not looking to put
heavy hours on it.

Many thanks for you help! -jeffrey

Check up on Juki - a commercial machine that sews like a dream. A
friend uses hers for eveything from repairing jeans to making quilts.
Good tough machine. There are serveral versions and Juki has a web
site.
Old March 21st 04, 09:07 PM
Mignon

EuroPro makes a loc-cost machine that sews canvas and all kinds of other
heavy, coarse materials. Try their site. It's advertised on the shopping
network frequently.

--
Melva Garrison