The Voices in my Head

Old August 5th 03, 06:17 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:30:49 -0400, Kathy N-V
wrote:

(BTW, why does the scent-free
stuff always cost so much more? I'd think that they'd be saving the expense
of the cheap perfume and could pass the savings along to me. :-) )

The detergents etc. usually *come* with scents of their own and it's
cheaper to perfume over it than it is to nullify it.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Handmade Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale
Old August 5th 03, 07:54 PM
Christina Peterson

This is an important distinction. The behaviours that get us through
childhood tramas, can hinder us as adults. They generally have made us
functional, but not healthy.

And about the "joyful" part. We can indeed be joyful, even if me are
physically ill -- or mentally or emotionally injured/damaged.

Tina

"laura" wrote in message
I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that I was "functional" for a

long
time, and I used to agree with this opinion-- right up to the point of my
breakdown.

The problem with "functional" is that it isn't necessarily "healthy".

That
you're able to do a job and get by in society doesn't necessarly mean that
things aren't seeping out through the cracks which will one day undermine
that "functional" foundation.

But I do believe that "functional" in and
of itself is not a particularly healthy goal. I'd much rather be joyful.

Laura

Old August 5th 03, 08:12 PM
Deirdre S.

Yes!

Deirdre

Old August 6th 03, 03:46 PM
Beadesignr

From: Marilee J. Layman
I'm not convinced that talking out all the bad things is really
beneficial for everybody.

That could be - I have tried some NLP stuff.
Evalynne
http://www.beadsuncommon.com
Beads Uncommon Lampwork
Think Uncommon Jewellery

Old August 6th 03, 03:49 PM
Beadesignr

ubject: The Voices in my Head
From: "Christina Peterson"
And about the "joyful" part. We can indeed be joyful, even if me are
physically ill -- or mentally or emotionally injured/damaged.

It's a roller coaster - I can experience the highest joy and the lowest lows.

Evalynne
http://www.beadsuncommon.com
Beads Uncommon Lampwork
Think Uncommon Jewellery

Old August 6th 03, 05:57 PM
Christina Peterson

You know, as bad as Depression is for me, I'm glad I at least don't have
those ups and downs. I can at least anticipate a certain reaction on a
regular basis and deal with it,

Tina

ubject: The Voices in my Head

Old August 6th 03, 07:03 PM
Christina Peterson

Sounds tough, Kaytee.

The primary effect of the disease of Depression is having more input than
you can manage, with melancholy being the primary symptom of the that
inability to deal with everything. The most effective "coping strategies"
are prioritizing and eliminating as many stressors as possible. Some drugs,
especially in low doses (thus least side effects), can be helpful. I use
Serzone to quiet the background noise and Wellbutrin as an "activator", in
doses I am told are "below theraputic doses".

I wish you well in this tough job.

Tina

"Kaytee" wrote in message
In article , Marilee J. Layman
writes:

That was the opinion of my #1 son's first dr--...

You can't really compare your son to Evalynne.

No, and I wasn't.
It is what he told me, about me, after "unofficial" testing confirmed a
"probable" diagnosis of ADD, and was "suggestive" that it is severe enough

warrant Rx treatment. Likewise, a "probable" diagnosis of some sort of
depression. Also, that "further testing should be done" to distinguish the
"probable" diagnosis from other, similar syndromes-- the common test for

this,
is to give you the meds for the "most probable" diagnosis, and if it

doesn't
work, then hey, you must have the other one.... I did not, and do not,

have the
leisure time to explore that route, even if I liked the concept. I do

not...
react well... to drugs.

Dr. #1 is slow to medicate because he believes that it causes almost as

many
problems as it cures, especially long term psychopharmotherapy. He said I
already was doing most of the "coping strategies" he suggests to adult
patients-- with the exception of "get rid of the major stressors in your

life",
and he was trying to treat THAT one directly.... He did--jokingly!-- say

we
could try "combination drug therapy" that some of his colleagues use--

"Ritalin
for the kid, and Valium for Mom", but that in his opinion, I was dealing

with
things as well as could be expected and since my priorities were to

provide
close (and necessary) supervision and "intensive care" for my problem

child,
and then what "quality time" I could squeeze out for his brother,

medication(s)
for "stress" would be counterproductive.

I do know that Luke's problems accelerated when switched to a dr that did
"believe in" medication as a primary means of psychotherapy-- of course,

Luke
at that time was refusing to cooperate with the therapist(s) he had. And,

he's
doing better over all now that he is off meds entirely. He still doesn't

take
"to heart" anything that anybody tells him that is different from what he

wants
to hear-- he's still the toddler shaking his finger at Daddy and saying

"Don't
you tell me what to do!!"... it's just not "cute" now (and "time outs" are

no
longer effective). Drs are still telling me I need to reduce the "stress"

in my
life, but since I'm not willing to chance being poisoned/put out of

commission,
they "can't" do much for me except things like run an occasional EKG to

see if
the chest pains are related to cardiac problems....

Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old August 6th 03, 09:30 PM
Deirdre S.

I personally prefer this full-spectrum experience to sticking to a
'safe' numbness, but I think some folks -need- to maintain the
numbness until either a safer environment, or more coping resources or
both are within reach for them.

And I agree that 'talking it out' doesn't always help. Sometimes it
just freezes you in the problem-state. Fortunately, there are a wide
range of ways of getting healthier and exploring several might help
more than hammering away at just one. Especially if it doesn't seem to
be helping much.

Deirdre

ubject: The Voices in my Head

Old August 6th 03, 10:05 PM
Deirdre S.

Heightened stress = compromised immune system.
Reduced stress = resilient immune system.

Long term unrelieved stress = chronic, systemic health problems.

IME.

Deirdre

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:04:52 -0700, vj wrote:

well, i divorced the kids' dad - - and my ulcer went away for years.