META: Number of annual messages on rctn.

Old December 31st 08, 11:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Default META: Number of annual messages on rctn.

It's that time of year. In 2008 there were about 19,400 messages on rctn.
Going backwards, the numbers for previous years were 13,100, 21,200,
26,600, 37,500, 47,500, 54,000, 69,600, 82,100, 79,800, 83,000, and 78,000.
Jim.
Old December 31st 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

Default Electronic communication - was META: Number of annual messages onrctn.

Facebook, myspace - yikes. Only thing worse is Iming and texting.....

I was just thinking about that last night. A major disadvantage for
parents is you really have no idea how many people your kids are
contacting/are contacting them. For example, the party invitations
come via email and/or Facebook, not the mail or the phone. My ds went
to the movies with several friends - not a call among them to set it
up. I wanted my dd to contact someone about a ride - she was going to
do it on Facebook as opposed to picking up the phone.

Our kids don't have cell phones and I am working hard to keep it that
way. I want to have an idea of who is calling them and how often
(among other things).

Any other parents of adolescents feel the same way?

Linda
Old December 31st 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

anne wrote:
Do any of you long term posters (notice I
didn't say old) recall if the higher numbers in years' past were due to more
stitching discussions or has there always been a lot of threads that diverged
into 'chit chat'?

A lot more of both. :~) I truly miss the extensive stitching
discussions. A lot of it was repetitive - newcomers would join and ask
the same questions over and over. But there was a lot of worthwhile
posting in general. Some of it esoteric, but quite informative. Even
such things as why this brand of detergent was better than another
brand. There were several scientists here that would steer us in good
directions. And many designers who kept us abreast of trends and what
was happening in the industry in general.

Dianne

--
Affordable & Creative Website Design - including Flash and more.
No Templates. Designed Just For You! http://Kanen5Designs.com
Old December 31st 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

"anne" wrote in message
g...
says...
It's that time of year. In 2008 there were about 19,400 messages on
rctn.
Going backwards, the numbers for previous years were 13,100, 21,200,
26,600, 37,500, 47,500, 54,000, 69,600, 82,100, 79,800, 83,000, and
78,000.

Thanks, Jim.

I've been here through several mayonaise/salad dressing wars but don't
remember
exactly when I 'joined' the group. Do any of you long term posters (notice
didn't say old) recall if the higher numbers in years' past were due to
more
stitching discussions or has there always been a lot of threads that
diverged
into 'chit chat'?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

LOL! Well that`s a polite way of putting it, Anne. There has always been
loads of chitchat if nothing worse (!) for as long as I`ve known it - and
all the better for it, i.m.o. There`s only so much you can say about
stitching without repeating yourself, after all.

Anyway it looks as if the number of messages is heading upwards again, which
can`t be bad.

Happy New Year to everyone while I`m popping in, anyway. Does anyone have a
current email address for Caryn Sutherland, by the way? The one I have
doesn`t work any more and I`d like to send good wishes to her too.

Pat

Old December 31st 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Felice

"anne" wrote in message
g...
says...
It's that time of year. In 2008 there were about 19,400 messages on
rctn.
Going backwards, the numbers for previous years were 13,100, 21,200,
26,600, 37,500, 47,500, 54,000, 69,600, 82,100, 79,800, 83,000, and
78,000.

Thanks, Jim.

I've been here through several mayonaise/salad dressing wars but don't
remember
exactly when I 'joined' the group. Do any of you long term posters (notice
didn't say old) recall if the higher numbers in years' past were due to
more
stitching discussions or has there always been a lot of threads that
diverged
into 'chit chat'?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

May a former active member, now an occasional dropper-in, offer a thought?
Of the 43 messages when I checked in just now:

3 were about needlework
12 were about knitting
7 were about the number of messages

21 were about volunteering, chickens, dogs, the cost of living and Mirjam

I was a faithful rctn-er for years (and even took part in, and survived, the
Firehouse Angel) but I dropped out when needlework became almost secondary
to general chat. I enjoyed many of the off-topic posts, but eventually lost
interest in the group because of the paucity of real needlework
conversations.

This is NOT meant as any sort of criticism, since a newsgroup should be what
its members want it to be, but rctn is no longer what I want.

I do miss some of you fellow stitchers, though!

Felice