aprons

Old January 26th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

Default aprons

On Jan 24, 10:57*am, "lucille" wrote:

You brought back memories of the apron I had to make when I was in Junior
High School. * It was pink gingham, with hand sewn bias tape all around
every edge and took the better part of the term to finish.

Must have been "the" thing to teach basic sewing, as that's the first
thing we did in jr. high, too! Mine was white background with green
and red dots on it, no fancy stuff but it does have the required
pocket! The summer before, though, my oldest sis taught me to sew
a pair of culottes. I still have my jr. high apron and a couple that
were my grandma's. I still wear them occasionally, if I'm going to do
a lot of baking (I'm a messy baker LOL) as has DD.

Home Ec these days is a joke.

Joan
Old January 26th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 24, 2:41*pm, "lucille" wrote:

... but I do remember how to make a bed. *

I know how, also. Not the corners, but sheets are something DH & I
have "argued" about since we were married...as in does the printed
side of the top sheet go up or down? I learned down so when the
sheets are turned back both printed sides are showing. He said up
because that's the way his mom did it. I got the last laugh when
we got our first waterbed. Since he surprised me with the bed, I
thought he was being nice to me when I saw the sheets were on my way.
Not knowing any better, It wasn't until I went to wash the sheets that
I found out the top & bottom sheets were sewn together! Boy, was
there a round of "I told you so!" after that! LOLOL! He still to this
day, after 30 years of marriage (and no more waterbeds), that he
sleeps better with the sheets on his way.

Joan
Old January 27th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Joan E. wrote:
but sheets are something DH & I
have "argued" about since we were married...as in does the printed
side of the top sheet go up or down? I learned down so when the
sheets are turned back both printed sides are showing.

That's how I do it, too.

sue

The Magazine of Folk and World Music
www.dirtylinen.com
Old January 27th 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message
news
Joan E. wrote:
but sheets are something DH & I
have "argued" about since we were married...as in does the printed
side of the top sheet go up or down? I learned down so when the
sheets are turned back both printed sides are showing.

That's how I do it, too.

sue

That's the way I do it too. Doesn't anyone.

That brings to mind the old toilet paper roll argument.

Should you pull from the front or the back?

I'm a from the front person, as every reasonable person should be.

Lucille

Old January 27th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Joan E. wrote:
but sheets are something DH & I
have "argued" about since we were married...as in does the printed
side of the top sheet go up or down? I learned down so when the
sheets are turned back both printed sides are showing.

Printed sheets on your bed? I suppose it gives you something to read if
you can't sleep.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old January 27th 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/27/09 1:05 PM, "Susan Hartman" wrote:

Joan E. wrote:
but sheets are something DH & I
have "argued" about since we were married...as in does the printed
side of the top sheet go up or down? I learned down so when the
sheets are turned back both printed sides are showing.

That's how I do it, too.

sue

Hey, that's how we learned in Home Ec! DH doesn't argue. Will say, that
growing up, we all had coverlets or duvets, DM didn't use top sheets, we
just washed the covers.

Ellice

Old January 27th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Susan Hartman wrote:
lucille wrote:

All I do know is that it was very good and too much work for me to
bother with.

That's what kept popping into my mind..."OK, it may have been good, but
when I can buy a frozen apple strudel at Trader Joe for $2.79".....

I'm with you. I like baking, but when I want to make strudel, I just
march over to the frozen section and purchase a pack of phyllo dough. I
don't have the patience to roll and pull and roll and pull (and have
never had willing help available, either).

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

http://my2.tupperware.com/KMCampbell

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 1/4/09 - BFF/Best Friends Forever (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old January 27th 09, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:25:15 -0500, "lucille"
opined:

Joan E. wrote:
but sheets are something DH & I
have "argued" about since we were married...as in does the printed
side of the top sheet go up or down? I learned down so when the
sheets are turned back both printed sides are showing.

That's how I do it, too.

sue

That's the way I do it too. Doesn't anyone.

That brings to mind the old toilet paper roll argument.

Should you pull from the front or the back?

I'm a from the front person, as every reasonable person should be.

Lucille

I do sheets like Joan but opposite to you with toilet paper roll,
pulling from the back, people use less. It tends to roll out too fast
the other way and there is no leverage for disconnecting.

Wow, that sounds very scientific. Were you an engineer in another life?

Old January 27th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 27, 12:37*pm, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)"

Printed sheets on your bed? I suppose it gives you something to read if
you can't sleep.

So you use, what? for your bedding, Bruce? Canvas? Ticking? Velvet?
Satin???

Joan

FA: Lots of Crafters Items, Aprons, Decoupage Supplies [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 31st 05 04:21 PM
FA: Lots of Crafters Items, Aprons, Decoupage Supplies [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 31st 05 04:20 PM
Aprons ?? ausetkmt Needlework 1 May 15th 05 04:13 AM
Really Fantastic Collection of Vintage 50s/60s Cocktail & Kitchen Aprons MINT for Sale Pamela Marketplace 0 March 14th 04 02:31 PM