OT - Marmite

Old January 21st 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default OT - Marmite

On 1/21/09 10:38 AM, in article
, "lewmew"
wrote:

On Jan 21, 9:02*am, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:19:00 -0800 (PST), lewmew
opined:

Smoked eel - now that's something I could go for! *I love it! *My
family (Latvians) used to have them at any celebration. *Can't find
them here in flyover country. *Wonder if someone on the internet sells
them . . .?

Linda

You can pick some up from amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Cracovia-Smoke.../dp/B000LRFZ7U

http://tiny.cc/aa5Gs

Did you *have* to send me this link?!

Linda

Of course she did

Old January 21st 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:15:59 +0000, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures
to reply)" opined:

Haggis is fine, needs to be served with turnips as it has little to no
flavour. I can't say I am fond of eels, jellied or otherwise, I put
them in the same category as mackerel and one serving a year more than
does, way too oily for me.

Sheena, you must have been given the wrong sort of haggis! MacSween make
a lovely spicy haggis http://www.rabbie-burns.com/the_haggis and we've
got four of them in the fridge ready for a Burns Night Supper on Sunday.

Lucky you - is it a modern idea ? It was never spicy when I used to
have it. There was an ex pat Scot here in the 70s who made nice
haggis but he is long gone unfortunately.

For some unknown reason people in NS (despite being founded by Scots)
seem to go overboard on celebrating St Patricks Day and overlook Burns
or St Andrew.

Our first Burns Night was at the Links Hotel, Brora (Sutherland) in
1977. The haggis was definitely spicy.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old January 21st 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

If it is something you'd have in the house, try some crisp bacon on your
peanutbutter. YUM

Sounds interesting, I'll try it some day. I do know that peanut butter
spread on the bread rather than dairy butter makes for a very nice
cheese sandwich, particularly with a good strong cheddar.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old January 21st 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
lucretia borgia wrote:
[...]

My first was in Dunoon, Scotland, about 35 years ago!
Gillian
Old January 21st 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/20/09 7:09 PM, "lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:02:45 -0500, "lucille"
opined:

Come to think of it, some marmite on grits would taste good.

That just sounds sooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddd. lol

The saltiness of the marmite would lift the bland flavour of the
grits.

Ahhh, smooth, creamy, grits. To be honest, I never had them until I went to
uni in Atlanta. It's a very Southern food. But, they can have flavor. DH
likes them as comfort breakfast food. I often cook them with some milk
instead of water, and they're really good with all things bad for you -
bacon, cheese, etc.

Marmite OTOH, yikes.

Ellice

Old January 21st 09, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/20/09 9:21 PM, "Olwyn Mary" wrote:

Pat P wrote:
"Sharon" wrote in message

A very nice lady I know who lives in N.S. sent me a lovely package
today. Marmite!!! Holy crap, it has got to be the most foul tasting,
gut wrenching, disgusting thing I ever tasted. I'd rather lick an old
boot. No wonder you guys came to America - to get some decent food.
Barf I think the husband might be able to use it to grease up his
snow blower. I had to swallow a whole extra glass of red wine to get
rid of the taste - woe is me!! :-))

Sharon (N.B.)

LOLOLOL! I LOVE it - but, as the advert says - you either love it or hate
it. It`s very similar to Australia`s Vegemite, but their`s is only for
wusses - it`s not as strong as ours! It`s vary good for you though!

Pat

I do not like Marmite. I have never liked Marmite. Not even as gravy
browning (nor do I like Bovril or Oxo. They all taste fake to me).
Just as an aside, I once bought some Marmite for an American guest who
wanted to try it. He didn't like it either, so it got pushed to the
back of the pantry shelf. About five years later, I came across it.
Unchanged. Not mouldy, not changed in texture, just exactly the same
after five (or more) years sitting on the shelf.

OTOH, I do like peanut butter provided it is all-natural. The one
easiest to find is by Smuckers, although when I lived in the North I was
able to find a few other brands of all-natural. However, in this house
we do not normally eat it with jelly. DH having first tasted it during
WWII in a care package, but knowing nothing about it, his family ate it
with a sprinkle of salt. Peanuts get salted, right? So, that is what
he taught me after we came to this country. Peanut butter, stirred
thoroughly upon first opening, then stored in the fridge to keep the oil
well distributed, then spread on home-made whole wheat bread with a
sprinkle of table salt. Delicious.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Yeah for the PB fans. It's a favorite quick breakfast here - Peanut Butter
toast. Spread thinly on a nice piece of toast, yum. I buy the organic PB
of the Wegman's house brand, sometimes the Harris-Teeter one, but prefer the
Wegman's. We've tried some others. For some periods of student hood with
no money - we survived on PB w/Banana & honey sandwiches. Still eat them.
DH is the one with the sweet tooth - so he's always happy to have a
fluffer-nutter (Marshmallow fluff w/ PB).

I'm sure I've told this before, but when we first started working in France,
my guys wanted some PB for quick sandwiches - we didn't leave for the big
lunch break from our work site. I searched the local small grocery, the
little shops, the large LeClerc (big supermarket). Finally, we bought
Nutella - seeing the hazelnut pix on the front. Wrong - but made for some
fine chocolate lunches. What idiots we were. Finally, in the smaller,
non-chain grocery - way on a bottom shelf - I found French peanut butter.
It was quite good, and we probably forced them to order more for those
several months than ever before.

Ellice

Old January 21st 09, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/20/09 11:02 PM, "lucille" wrote:

"Sharon" wrote in message
On Jan 20, 7:34 pm, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)"
wrote:
Sharon wrote:
A very nice lady I know who lives in N.S. sent me a lovely package
today. Marmite!!! Holy crap, it has got to be the most foul tasting,
gut wrenching, disgusting thing I ever tasted. I'd rather lick an old
boot. No wonder you guys came to America - to get some decent food.
Barf I think the husband might be able to use it to grease up his
snow blower. I had to swallow a whole extra glass of red wine to get
rid of the taste - woe is me!! :-))

Sharon (N.B.)

And this from a resident of a country that gave the world "grits".
You're not supposed to eat Marmite by the spoonful! It's meant to be
spread VERY thinly on hot, buttered crumpets and slowly savoured.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
http://claremont.island-blogging.co.uk
"Never ask a man if he is from Yorkshire. If he is he will surely tell
you. If he's not, why embarrass him?"

I tasted it on the tip of a knife and it was ghastly ... I don't even
want to see it from a distance. Grits you say??? Isn't that a
southern U.S. thingie? I've never had them.

Sharon (N.B.)

Grits are simply a tasteless plate of cornmeal cereal. It's white, it's
often lumpy, it's very bland (read blech) and I don't like it. It
definitely is a southern thing and I never tasted it till I moved to
Florida. They often serve it with a white gravy that has chopped up
sausage. It looks dreadful and it tastes worse.

I guess the closest taste would be farina, which I don't think has much of a
taste either.

White grits are made from hominy, which is a large (huge) corn kernel.
Grits and gravy - very southern. As is biscuits and gravy. That sausage
gravy, or red eye (ham) gravy I think historically is a food that comes from
stretching limited resources. It just looks bland. But, they're not
meant to be eaten just plain. Even if it's just all you're having for
breakfast - normally people would have cheese grits, or grits with bacon,
etc. I don't remember having grits with gravy - only biscuits with gravy.

You can also get yellow grits, but not as common.

Ellice

Old January 22nd 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Parrotfish wrote:
"Gillian Murray" wrote ...
Parrotfish wrote:
snipperty
Nooooooo....... Spread it verrrrrrry thin!
I can't stand the stuff, but my ex-husband was a fan. I nearly killed him
with a Marmite sandwhich that was spread a tad thick Lol.

Come on, Polly,

I was born and spent my first ten years in Surrey. It was the one and only
place I tasted Peanut butter..it was gross in 1946 and still gross.

Now Marmite takes a certain technique to use, and a ref"eened" palate to
appreciate.

I don't like Peanut Butter either!
Love Peanuts, though )
Hate Marmite........... but will defend your right to enjoy it...... Lol
Where did you live in Surrey ?

Sorry to take a time to respond. I was born in a Nursing Home in
Waddon, 1936, and spent the first 9-10 years in Wallington.

It is strange, but Sheena's aunt and uncle live just aorund the corner.
She visits them frequently, and has sent pictures of where I lived. No
longer a house but maisonettes. It was there that i lived through WW2.
In 1946 my Dad was appointed Borough Engineer of Uxbridge, Middlesex

What I have recently acquired from a second cousin in England is that
some of my fathers forbears also lived in Surrey. That surprised me
because I had thought they were from Sussex, George Henry Stripp
(1847-1895) was born in Godstone, married in Godstone, and died in
Edenbridge Kent.

My mother grew up in Guildford, which is where she met my father. They
were married in Beddington ( close to Wallington) and their first born
child is buried there.

If you want to send me your personal email, maybe we will find common
interests!

Gillian

gillmurray1 at verizon dot net
Old January 22nd 09, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

lewmew wrote:

Smoked eel - now that's something I could go for! I love it! My
family (Latvians) used to have them at any celebration. Can't find
them here in flyover country. Wonder if someone on the internet sells
them . . .?

Linda

If you find it, let me know!

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

http://my2.tupperware.com/KMCampbell

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 1/4/09 - BFF/Best Friends Forever (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/