New Year's Resolutions: On and Off Topic

Old January 2nd 09, 01:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

Default New Year's Resolutions: On and Off Topic

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 01:34:50 GMT, "Carey N."
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:13:05 -0800 (PST), bungadora
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:14:24 -0500, anne wrote:

Your turn.

I will lose weight by not buying treats on the weekend, eating salad
at dinner more, and taking an extra walk every day.

I will not whine about my weight.

I will finish at least 3 major projects and will only start one new
one instead of the other way around.

I will do 15 minutes of filing every day. I will get rid of enough
stuff that I can move the box of dead files sitting in my bedroom into
the storage room.

Dora

These are excellent resolutions. Fortunately, and I do think I told
the story here as well, during the fall a mouse got into the house and
we went room to room cleaning every inch of every drawer, closet and
bookshelf (we have ten book cases!) and moved each away from the wall
and vacuumed then as we were satisfied the mouse wasn't in that room,
it was sealed off. Room by room we did this to every closet, drawer
and shelf and got rid of tons and tons of papers and things we
shredded and now I use as packing material. I got to see my stash!

Finally, the kitchen and every cabinet was washed with bleach and
orance oil and every dish and pot was washed and all we didn't use was
donated to Goodwill...this house is clean!

You will feel amazing when you de-clutt.

Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

That's inspirational.
But do tell: did you ever find the mouse ?!

Part Deaux!

So we were satisfied the mouse had to be in the kitchen because we saw
the little poops and that brat was taking the bait from at least eight
rigs (all humane no kill) and that little thing eluded us for a week.
Finally, I went on eBay and ordered live trap cubes where the mouse
gets in, but not out and the first night we had that in the kitchen,
the mouse was in it in the morning. Mark woke me up at 5am with a
loud, mid-west "HUZZAH"

He set it free.

Two nights later I'm in the bathroom and hear scratching in the attic.
He puts that up there with a Dorito in it and traps it again. He
thinks it was the same one because it was very tiny. Every morning he
came up with the mouse in the cube for five nights. Same one, same
size, etc. He was letting it out too near the house. One morning the
mouse took a ride in the car and was released by a creek so had food
and water there and we never saw it again.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Victoria

It`s a well known fact that mice are related to homing pigeons.
Fortunately, since they don`t have wings, three miles away is the nearest
distance to release them!

Pat

Old January 2nd 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 19:11:14 -0000, "Pat P"
wrote:

Damn. So if I sent you some Thorntons chocolates you`d send them right
back?

Pat

Chocolate is on Weight Watchers Flex plan! When can I expect them?
LOL
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

Probably soon after you`ve emailed me your address! I`ve lost it again.

Pat

Old January 2nd 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
pecan[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Oh, a happy li'l mouse; car ride AND a new home.

Happy New Year.
--
Carey in MA

And fed every day for a week before the move!
Old January 2nd 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Jangchub wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 05:22:00 +0000, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures
to reply)" wrote:

We moved here in April 2004, the mice moved in /en masse/ in August 2004
after the barley in the field at the back of the house was harvested and
the mice moved out again in September 2004 after we got our Surrey, our
green-eyed, white cat. She was only a kitten but her mere presence sent
the mice packing, no more little paws skittering in the loft or within
the walls, no more having to calm Maureen down after a mouse popped its
head up from behind the oven. We've neither seen or heard a mouse since
the arrival of Surrey.

And to Surrey a little green thing with red wings and a blue head who
squawks on her perch would also be delish!
Victoria

I think Surrey would be more interested in the taste than in the colours g
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old January 2nd 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:

We've neither seen or heard a mouse since
the arrival of Surrey.

Miss Kitty was not as good a deterrent. We had a mouse, which she
caught and let go repeatedly ... it was more fun to play with him.

Finally realizing that (a) he'd eaten holes in a half-embroidered
tablecloth and (b) she had no intention of doing the ultimate deed, we
bought some mouse poison. A day or so later, Miss Kitty proudly
presented the deceased to me, and was quite miffed that Mommy realized
the advanced state of rigor mortis meant this was a corpse she had
found, not one she had just dispatched on her own.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

http://my2.tupperware.com/KMCampbell

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 12/14/08 - GMTA/Great Minds Think Alike (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old January 2nd 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

No yelling to dh from the other room.
Put clean dishes away every night - i.e. a clear kitchen to face the
next morning.
Back exercises.
Take up a ballroom dancing class.
Back to yoga.
At least 15 minutes of stitching per day.
Better meal planning.
Write or call an different old friend at least once a month.

Old January 2nd 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
pecan[_3_]

Jangchub wrote:

to reply)" wrote:

We moved here in April 2004, the mice moved in /en masse/ in August 2004
after the barley in the field at the back of the house was harvested and
the mice moved out again in September 2004 after we got our Surrey, our
green-eyed, white cat. She was only a kitten but her mere presence sent
the mice packing, no more little paws skittering in the loft or within
the walls, no more having to calm Maureen down after a mouse popped its
head up from behind the oven. We've neither seen or heard a mouse since
the arrival of Surrey.
And to Surrey a little green thing with red wings and a blue head who
squawks on her perch would also be delish!
Victoria

I think Surrey would be more interested in the taste than in the colours g

I see people on YouTube all the time with free flight parrots. I am
so afraid to let Mika fly outside. I can only imagine what a red
tailed hawk would think if it saw a green morsel flying around like a
spoiled Tweety. I've seen those hawks swoop right down almost to the
ground in my yard and take doves. Breaks my heart for both the dove
and the hawk.
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

I allow mine free rein. When she's inside I close the cage, as she
tends to destroy furniture and wooden floors, but when I put her outside
I leave the cage open. She usually just climbs out and over the cage,
but sometimes walks around. A couple of days ago I went outside and
found the cage empty and the bird nowhere in sight. I panicked at
first, but as it was the first time in 5 days we had water, I decided to
take a shower before I went searching.

When I opened the front door of the Backpackers Lodge (which is where I
go to shower, as there's only a bath in this house) I heard her whistle
close by, so I went back to my house and went outside to look for her.
there she was, walking up the steps to the Backpackers. She must have
recognised me and walked towards me, as she's never been in that house.

It does bother me that maybe some predator will get her. I've had her
16 years now, and she spent so many of those early years trying to get
away. Eventually I decided that an unhappy bird was worse than a dead
bird and keeping her captive was a selfish act, so I left her cage
permanently open. Of course, the inevitable happened, and one morning I
woke up to find she'd flown the coop. I went round the neighbourhood to
tell everyone that she was missing. The next day I found her, very
close to home, but she didn't want to come home - saw her cage and flew
again. The next day one of my neighbours came and said she was in their
yard, but this time she was not happy - a bit traumatised, and very glad
to go home.

A couple more times she flew off, but was never again reluctant to come
home. That was in Cape Town, and I was bothered that the wind might
make it too difficult for her to find her way. Where I live now there
isn't the same problem.

Catherine,
who doesn't keep anything locked up, except the bulldog bitch when she's
on heat.
Old January 3rd 09, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
pecan[_3_]

Jangchub wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 23:02:18 +0200, pecan
wrote:

[...]

Mika is free reign always until she goes in her cage at night to
sleep. She has an outside aviary. I will never just let her fly
around for the hawks to get her. If you are accusing me of being
selfish, oh well. I would also never have an unspayed, or neutered
dog or cat. I think making dogs have litters over and over is
horrendous; so we're even.
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.