META: Number of annual messages on rctn.

Old January 2nd 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Default Electronic communication - was META: Number of annual messageson rctn.

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:02:38 +1100, Trish Brown
opined:

I reluctantly gave my DS a mobile phone after he was virtually assaulted
one day at work. While no-one laid a finger on him, he was assailed by a
group of yobbos who thought it funny to surround the weird-looking bloke
in the hat and jeer at him. DS was severely distressed, especially when
it happened a few more times in a short period. His phone has two
numbers programmed on buttons which will alert either his boss or the
receptionist at the other end of his courier run that he needs help in
the mall. So...

With DD, I allowed myself to be persuaded that a Sacred Phone of Great
Mobility is a necessary adjunct to teenage life, just as blue jeans with
a front fly were in my own teen age. Without one, she could not take
part in the afternoon blue-toothing sessions that go on in the bus and
nor could she share her music, videos and funny ringtones. Since her
school is on the other side of town from home, I also allowed myself to
be persuaded that it's necessary for her to be able to alert us when she
misses her bus.

I have to say, DD uses her phone quite responsibly and is sensible about
preferring to use the (cheaper) landline instead. She rarely uses text
messaging, since she and her friends hate and despise the abbreviated
lingo, preferring to spell the words out in entirety. This makes for
very sore thumbs and so the texting is kept to a minimum. The main uses
she has for the thing are to take photos of friends and events at school
and to listen to her mp3s during art class (which is permitted).

Sigh.

So stop condemning the people who use them sagely for all sorts of
very good reasons. I know people who have them so that if one partner
is out, the other can be in touch instantly if taken ill, an elderly
person who once had her car break down and she had to rely on waving
someone down, she changed her opinion and now carries one.

'ang on a minute! I haven't 'condemned' anyone! I just said I hate the
filthy things. That would be the phones, not the people who use them.

I have used mine to summon an ambulance to a very nasty accident and
to 'phone the girls mother and tell her that her daughter had a bad
accident but was safe and being taken to the QE II Hospital.

My younger daughter has one and it saves her masses of time with her
work as she is mostly out and about, without that she would be
retracing herself constantly.

All perfectly good uses and I wouldn't deny anyone a single one of them.

There are bad aspects but there are also good aspects and I know when
mine went kaput, I replaced it within hours. I think it is perfectly
normal that teens and young people would maybe overuse them but then
in my kids days, they tied up our 'phone with long conversations so
that we eventually in self defence put in another line, more costly
than a cell 'phone that the kid can pay for themselves.

I think you missed the point of my post(s), which was that even though I
hate the filthy things, they have become a vital part of modern living
for a variety of good reasons (some of which you listed above). Hence,
I've given both my kids a mobile phone. Sorry if my delivery was so
involuted I didn't make myself clear! ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old January 2nd 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Jangchub wrote:
I can go further; while we do have a cell phone, only 6 people have
the number and I include us in that number having the number!

Same here. When we had the business, the business number was in the
phone book under our names. That rang in the back bedroom and had an
answering machine attached.

The number that rang in the kitchen and bedroom was unlisted. His
mother, my mother, my aunt, his sister, our business partner and my best
friend had the unlisted number. Period. Those were the people we
wanted to talk to whenever they called. Everyone else got screened
through the answering machine.

DBF and Mom are the only two people who have my cell phone number.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

http://my2.tupperware.com/KMCampbell

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 12/14/08 - GMTA/Great Minds Think Alike (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old January 2nd 09, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default META: Number of annual messages on rctn.

says...

Or, see the numbers according to googlegroups:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...edlework/about

yikes!!! there's way too much information being archived!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old January 2nd 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Dec 31 2008, 6:27*am, (F.James Cripwell)
It's that time of year. *In 2008 there were about 19,400 messages on rctn.

Old January 2nd 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

) writes:
On Dec 31 2008, 6:27=A0am, (F.James Cripwell)
wrote:
It's that time of year. =A0In 2008 there were about 19,400 messages on rc=

tn.
=A0Going backwards, the numbers for previous years were 13,100, 21,200,
26,600, 37,500, 47,500, 54,000, 69,600, 82,100, 79,800, 83,000, and 78,00=

0.
Jim.

Any idea how much of that was spam type postings?

'fraid not. My impression is not very much. As I have explained before,
my ISP numbers every message. We are now over 700,000. So I just note
the message number at the end of each year. Jim
Old January 2nd 09, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 1, 11:51*pm, GOH wrote:

Or, see the numbers according to googlegroups:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...edlework/about

Interesting! I wonder if it counts the posts that aren't archived
(Sheena's, for one)

Joan
Old January 5th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 2, 2:58*pm, lucretia borgia wrote:

Hey! *You should all be X no archive - you could be living on the
ether in fifty years time~

Hey! Don't deprive me of my bit of immortality! LOL

Joan
Old January 7th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

"Joan E." wrote in message
On Jan 2, 2:58 pm, lucretia borgia wrote:

Hey! You should all be X no archive - you could be living on the
ether in fifty years time~

Hey! Don't deprive me of my bit of immortality! LOL

Joan

Can`t be bothered with the X no archive thing - only worth it if you write
something you don`t want thrown back at you in future years by those who
like to trawl the archives to find something to pick the bones over! LOL! I
couldn`t be bothered with that either, but I know at least one who loves to
do it!

Pat