And time for

Old December 18th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

Default And time for

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 12/13/08 11:17 AM, in article ,
"Gillian Murray" wrote:

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:52:05 GMT, Gillian Murray
opined:
Anne of Green Gables was always very proud that she was "Anne, with an
'e' "
And doesn't PEI revel in it! LOL

It has been a boon for a little island - the Japanese come all the way
to the Maritimes to visit PEI and see Anne's house ! Did you know
that many Japanese weddings take place there, bringing all their
entourages, very lucrative. I read the books as a child, mine were
those my aunt had previously read.

I read them all, too. It seems so strange that a fictional person and
her home and life are such attractions all these years later. I remember
going to the home, and thinking "How weird" because Anne didn't live
there because she didn't exist.

Of course..I guess there is the Mouse and Cinderella's Castle down here.
I would rather have PEI!

Hey, when I was in London, I went to 221B Baker St with the DH just to see
the plaque.

So did I--Doesn't everyone???

Old December 18th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

"Gillian Murray" wrote:

lucretia borgia wrote:
[...]

I lived there, and still went down baker St to see the plaque!

Gill
Old December 19th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/18/08 4:05 PM, "Ericka" wrote:

ellice wrote:

While this isn't a laughable situation, I will actually agree with Vic,
though not as strongly. Since most modern birth control is between 97% &
99% effective, it's hard to believe that someone who got pregnant once while
using contraception would not take measures to be sure it didn't happen
again.

I think this is true in general, but I have also
encountered one person who had tremendous difficulty.
She was married and her family was relatively well off,
so it wasn't the end of the earth that she had more or
more closely spaced children than she planned, but she
got bit four times. The first time she was on oral
contraceptives and taking them properly. The second
time, she was just enjoined to take the oral contraceptives
even more carefully, so she put herself on a timer to
make sure she was taking them at precisely the correct
time and was utterly religious about it. Poof, second
baby before they planned it. After that, doctors advised
her that maybe she just needed a different prescription and
put her on a different oral contraceptive that they said
would surely do the trick, so she used that (and kept up
with the timer). Poof, third pregnancy. At that point,
she put her foot down and said no more with the oral
contraceptives, and they went with, IIRC, diaphragm plus
spermicide plus condom plus avoiding peak fertile times
(even with the barrier methods). It's possible they weren't
absolutely ruthless following this regime (I sure as heck
didn't ask for details), but sure enough, fourth baby despite
plans. In hindsight, the doctors believe that there's
something weird about her hormonally that didn't play
nicely with the oral contraceptives and also may have
affected her cycle in ways that when she thought she was
avoiding peak fertile times, she wasn't. (She hadn't
had a long history of charting her natural cycles to know
whether there was something really odd about them, because
she got started up in conjunction with the barrier methods
right after baby #3 and prior to that she'd been on oral
contraceptives). Anyway, with hindsight, it would have
probably been better to abandon oral contraceptives much
earlier in the process rather than ascribing the problems
to human error, but how would folks really know that given
that most of the time, it *is* human error that leads to
failures? After baby #4, I believe they went with both
tying her tubes and him getting a vasectomy, and I think
that finally did the trick ;-) Meanwhile, they had some
hairy years with four closely spaced kids. I would bet
the farm that neither of them weren't sabotaging the birth
control in any way. They wanted the kids, but both of them
really didn't want to have the kids *that* close together.
They were some exhausted parents for several years!

So, anyway, I'll grant you that the vast majority
of the time, birth control failure is due to human error
(or deliberate misuse), but there's always the exception
that proves the rule! ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Quite the tale, there. I totally agree - in stats terms - there is always
something out there in the 3 sigma deviation - so to speak. Likely if your
friend hadn't had issues with her cycle, or wasn't clear about them there
probably was some hormonal thing going on. And charting, well, to be
precise you have to do the basal temperature w/ the special thermometer -
not just count days. It's all a mystery and a miracle....OTOH, I personally
am sweating through the injustice of years of hormone issues, fertility
treatments (of no success), etc - and now - the indignity of night sweats.
Somehow, I think it's just not fair to have the penance without the
privilege - so to speak. Or life's little joke...

Ellice

Old December 19th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

Default OT Books was And time for

LOL - I do that regularly! Gotten used to extra servings of coffee
when I lost sleep 'cause I was wrapped in a book! Nora Roberts, Jayne
Ann Krentz, and Mercedes Lackey will do this to me every time. In
fact, I will not start a new book of thiers unless I have several
hours to read it!

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:59:06 -0800 (PST), Arnhild
wrote:

I've started reading the first Monica Ferris, and now I have a bone to
pick with her. I got into bed last night, and planned to just read a
page or two to get a feel for the book, and see if I liked it. Cut to
one in the morning and me forcing myself to put the book down to get
some sleep before going to work! I really don't think anyone has any
business writing a book that is so good I can't put it down. I feel
strongly about this, and I'm Norwegian, apparently we're not big on
showing our feelings!

Arnhild

Old December 19th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/13/08 7:11 AM, in article
, "Arnhild"
wrote:

Just finished - last night - Murder is binding by Lorna Barrett. I
really liked it. It's the first in a new series, set in a booktown,
and this was a murder mystery.

Last week I read Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews, which I also
really liked, and it's also a murder mystery. (Looks like a pattern
evolving here, doesn't it?) This one was funnier than the other one,
as there were times when I laughed so hard I cried.

OMG - I love that series. Meg and her family are so wonderful and it's
always jerks that die.

On the shelf waiting to see what I get to first are three books by
authors I haven't read anything by yet; Sister Carol Anne O'Marie,
M.C.Beaton and ......Monica Ferris. (No, I really haven't read her
before.)

These are all books that I have bought, and I blame it all on the
enabling of a friend who pointed me in the direction of an online
bookstore, that doesn't charge postage. The friend is a fellow
librarian.

So share it already

At the library where I work, we don't charge any late fees, but we do
ask that if the book is completely lost, it's paid for. Patrons are
automatically blocked from borrowing when the third notice is sent
out, with the bill for the book, but if they show up at the library
and want to check out a book, we usually let them. We are a bit more
lenient than the computer, after all.

Arnhild

My library runs a 'fine forgiveness' once or twice a year. But you must
bring in a food item for every late item and it goes to a local food bank.

Cheryl

Old December 19th 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Jangchub wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 07:36:40 -0800, Karen C in California
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

The story is over the top.
Victoria

Ir may be over the top, but it's absolutely true.

I've lost touch with her, since a single working mother of 3 doesn't
have much time for anything, but I can (offlist) give you her full name
and the name of the law firm she worked at last time I spoke to her, and
you can call and ask their office manager to verify the story if she no
longer works there. She had the 3d child while she was working there,
so I expect the office manager knows the whole story.

Siince you cut out my entire post I truly don't recall why I made the
statement. I do know that a woman who has three children, calls them
accidents, from different men is, frankly, a whore. IMO
Victoria

Excuse me? A woman who sleeps with two men in 8 years is a whore?

Or she's only a whore because the Pill doesn't work for her and she had
little accidents?

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 12/14/08 - GMTA/Great Minds Think Alike (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old December 19th 08, 07:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

ellice wrote:

It's very odd that a doctor would refuse tubal ligation on a
patient who already has a child. That's a load about "breaking all the
rules" - there is a guidance about not doing irreverisible procedures on
women in young, child-bearing age, particularly if they haven't had
children. But, tubal ligations are done regularly on young women. There is
no "rule" that I've ever seen - though a particular doctor may have their
own standard.

Since I've never asked about having it done, I don't know how formal a
"rule" it is. I just know that the doctor kept telling her she couldn't
have it done till she was 30, and that I've heard the minimum age of 30
from other women in other states, so I knew it wasn't his unique stance.

Old December 19th 08, 08:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Ericka wrote:

sure enough, fourth baby despite
plans. In hindsight, the doctors believe that there's
something weird about her hormonally that didn't play
nicely with the oral contraceptives

Same with my friend. I know at some point they increased her dosage
thinking it simply wasn't strong enough. When she got pregnant with #3,
her doctor also suggested weird interplay between her body chemistry and
the pills, and she muttered something about "he couldn't have figured
that out two kids ago?"

Old December 19th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/19/08 2:51 AM, "Karen C in California" wrote:

ellice wrote:

It's very odd that a doctor would refuse tubal ligation on a
patient who already has a child. That's a load about "breaking all the
rules" - there is a guidance about not doing irreverisible procedures on
women in young, child-bearing age, particularly if they haven't had
children. But, tubal ligations are done regularly on young women. There is
no "rule" that I've ever seen - though a particular doctor may have their
own standard.

Since I've never asked about having it done, I don't know how formal a
"rule" it is. I just know that the doctor kept telling her she couldn't
have it done till she was 30, and that I've heard the minimum age of 30
from other women in other states, so I knew it wasn't his unique stance.

No doubt not his unique stance, but many things that have to do with women's
reproductive health are guidelines for their health, their future ability to
produce progeny - as in don't do something you'll regret when you're older
and wiser - and historically based on the sensibilities/morality of men.
But, someone who has already had 2 healthy children before the age of 30,
assuming she's mentally competent, should have had no legal or ethical
barrier to having a tubal ligation performed. But, none of us truly know
what is going on in someone else's health, interactions with their doctors,
their interpersonal relations, etc. Heck, if you start crying when asking
about something like a tubal ligation, that could convince a doctor you're
not prepared emotionally. Who knows. Personally, I tend to take some
things with the proverbial handful of salt.

Ellice

Old December 19th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Arnhild

On Dec 19, 4:58*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 12/13/08 7:11 AM, in article

On the shelf waiting to see what I get to first are three books by
authors I haven't read anything by yet; Sister Carol Anne O'Marie,
M.C.Beaton and ......Monica Ferris. (No, I really haven't read her
before.)

I have now read the one by Sister Carol Anne O'Marie, and it wasn't
quite my cup of tea. Things moved along at a pace I felt was a little
too slow, although there were several things that made me chuckle as
it's full of puns.

It's www.bookdepository.co.uk.

My library runs a 'fine forgiveness' once or twice a year. But you must
bring in a food item for every late item and it goes to a local food bank..

Cheryl

That would be a good idea, but as far as I know we don't have anything
like that in Norway, except for in Oslo.

Arnhild