Bernina: Used 1530 vs new 220

Old December 20th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting, rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Default Bernina: Used 1530 vs new 220

Hello all,

This was to be a surprise for my wife, who is just getting into
quilting. We had decided to get her a good tool that would last for a
long time, and some local quilters convinced us that a Bernina 220
would be a good option. I guess other people had the same idea, since
the dealer that had several 220s when I called didn't actually have
any left when we got there (in another town). She did have a used
1530 for $100 more BUT that machine came with a walking foot, the knee
bar, and the several other extras. I figure that stuff is worth at
least a $100, so the question is would a used 1530 be better or worse
than a brand new 220?

I bought the 1530 so I'd have something to put under the tree, but
have until the end of January to decide whether to keep it or not. I
know absolutely nothing about this, and my wife is fairly new to
quilting. Her current machine is a 20+ year old (Singer, I think). I
suspect she'll end up taking the 1530 machine to the dealer and doing
a side-by-side comparison before making up her mind, but neither of us
really know what questions to ask.

I'd appreciate feedback, comparisons, and opinions. Also any hint on
certain things that some people like and others hate that she should
pay attention to in comparing them would be appreciated? I suspect
that the 1530 has lots of features she might never use, but probably
has some extra (over the 220) that would be useful. She doesn't
anticipate doing machine embroidery, but seems to like the quilting
and it will also be used for general purpose sewing.

One big plus of the Bernina was supposed to be dealer support, and the
used machine will have 2 years maintenance but the electronics will be
out of warranty, so another question is how reliable will the 10+ year
old machine be?

Hopefully there'll be lots of good info here and she can read this
after Christmas to help her make up her mind.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,
Old December 20th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting, rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Dec 20, 9:33 am, wrote:

I owned a 220 for a couple of months and was less than pleased with
it. The Electronics fried on it twice and needed to be replaced under
warrenty. The size of the Harp, or opening is too small to do anything
but small wall hanging quilts. If you try to push a full sized bed
quilt through the opening you will have nothing but trouble. Assuming
the machine you are getting is in good shape, it will be of greater
use for your wifes quilting needs. It is a very good machine and is
still used and loved by many avid quilters. The The 220 might be
useful for taking to sewing class and piecing or clothing
construction, but not for any serious quilting of large quilts. I
traded the one I bought back to the dealer for a 1008 mechanical
machine and was glad to get rid of it. I would stick with the one you
got, and be happy that you didn't get the 220. I have another Bernina
model that is computerized, and that one works fine. It was made in
the Swiss factory, and the 220 was made in the Thailand Factory, that
is opperated for Berina, and makes the lower end machines. The feet
that come with the 220 are not the best feet either. They are cheap
snap-on feet and not the single piece cast feet that Bernina is famous
for. So for my money, I would give her the one you got and I think she
will love it.

John
Old December 20th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Polly Esther[_2_]

I'm not at all familiar with those two Bernina models. There is a 1230
here - she's been millions of miles and has gotten a bit willful about her
computer settings but really - nobody ever sews that much on one dear SM.
There are two Bernina 155 here. There are just grand for quilting - unless
they ever come out with one with a bigger harp. I love them dearly and
think "Nothing sews like a Bernina, nothing". Well made, easy to
understand, tolerant of about anything. Apparently there's just a heap of
difference in the model numbers. Polly

Old December 20th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
MB

There is a Bernina group on Yahoo groups that is a help for folks
with any Bernina that has a 30 in the model #...such as 930, 830, 1130, etc.
Lots of good help there. I think some people have issues with the track
ball --some like
it some don't ..Anyway...ck out this group !! Good luck...Mary
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BerninaThirtySomethings/

Here is from two posters on that site:
I really want a good machine that is quiet, well built and easy
to use. Any suggestions???

If you are looking for a used machine, you cannot go wrong with the
1130, 1230, 1260 or 1530. That generation is wonderful.

Here is another....I found the 1530 the most intuitive sewing machine that I
have ever
used. Can't speak for the other computerized Berninas. What I like
about it is that you look at the screen and your sewing -- never have
to look for the correct button. Your thumbs reach the track ball and
stitch width and length balls and when they do, your fingers are in
the perfect position to click the OK or cancel buttons. Absolutely
perfect for a right-hander.

Old December 20th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sandy

In article
,
wrote:

Hello all,

This was to be a surprise for my wife, who is just getting into
quilting. We had decided to get her a good tool that would last for a
long time, and some local quilters convinced us that a Bernina 220
would be a good option. I guess other people had the same idea, since
the dealer that had several 220s when I called didn't actually have
any left when we got there (in another town). She did have a used
1530 for $100 more BUT that machine came with a walking foot, the knee
bar, and the several other extras. I figure that stuff is worth at
least a $100, so the question is would a used 1530 be better or worse
than a brand new 220?

I'd agree with some of the others here that the 220 -- while it might be
okay at first -- is something that your DW will "outgrow" in no time at
all. I think it's mostly meant as a "second" machine -- one that travels
to classes and that sort of thing.

If your only other choice is the 1530, I'd stick with it. It's a
reliable machine, and lots of people still have and love them. However,
you will run into a few little frustrations. First, as you noted, it's
an older machine that is no longer under warranty; any failure to its
circuit board could run into some serious expenses. Second, and not
quite as dire, is the fact that it takes the older-style feet. While
this in itself isn't a bad thing, you should know that Bernina isn't
making any new types of feet in that style. You can still get the feet
they've always made for it, but any of the newer ones are not available
these days -- at least, that's what my dealer says.

If you can look at a few other machines, I'd suggest the 430 or 440.
Both of them are outstanding machines that do everything a quilter could
want. It all depends on your budget, of course. I had a 440 for almost a
year before deciding to get the 630 instead; I loved that 440, but the
630 was even nicer, and I don't regret my decision. G BTW, you may be
able to find some gently-used 430s or 440s -- I'm not the only one who
turned one in after the slightly-newer models came out.

Good luck!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old December 21st 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting, rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

On Dec 20, 8:33 am, wrote:
Hello all,
... portion snipped ...
so the question is would a used 1530 be better or worse
than a brand new 220?
... portion snipped ...

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

I cannot say anything about the 1530, as I am totally unfamiliar with
it.

I purchased an Activa 240 around 2 1/2 years ago. It has been a
reliable little machine, which I take to classes, do applique and
machine piecing. I purchased the machine for the first two items --
the latter was a wonderful bonus. I am also learning how to free
motion quilt on some small quilts. When I took my machine class for
it, they told me it had a full size motor -- same one as in the larger
machines.

However, for a long term investment, the machine is missing a few
things.
* As some said, it has a smaller harp than other sewing machines. As
I have RSI to my right wrist, it hurts too much for me to push large
quilts around for machine quilting, so I don't ever plan to do
anything larger than a lap quilt. Still, it would be easier to push
even a small quilt around if there was more space in the harp area.
If you have another machine on which quilting would be done, then this
would not be an issue.
* It cannot use the BSR, but one can learn FMQ without it. I must
confess I am having a particularly hard time learning FMQ, but that
may just be because I'm not very coordinated :-). The 240 can use
most of the other feet that the Aurora 430/440 and Artista 630/640/730
do. Of course it cannot use the wider 9mm ones.
* The machine only has two motor speeds; there are times at which I
wish for more, but it is not something that would deter me from
getting this machine again.
* It does not have a presser foot pressure adjustment, but I think
that is also missing on the Auroras.
* It cannot do machine embroidery -- an option on the Auroras. While
you may never become interested in doing that, it would be available
if you ever change your mind about it.

Please note:
* The 220 has snap on feet. I think the solid regular feet contribute
to more accurate sewing, so that is something you might want to
consider. It is an additional cost to get the solid feet on the 220.
* The knee lift is an extra on the 220 -- it comes with the 240.
* The 240 has a brighter light -- optional on the 220.

Bev in TX

Old December 21st 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sally Swindells

As far as I'm concerned a machine bought for a quilter needs a big harp
area. I tend to stick with lap quilt size quilts and would still find
problems manouvering on anything smaller. I've looked at Berninas when
I've passed them in shops and always thought how small they are!

I was only on my second quilt when I got my Janome 6500 (superceded by
6600) and wouldn't change it for the world. True it was higher up the
price range, but I'll never need to change it. Its a good solid
workhorse with all the adjustments of tension, speed, needle position
you could wish for, together with a lovely big harp space. Mine also
came with the extension table to give a larger work area included, and
lots and lots of feet. Buying extras for Berninas necessitates taking
out an extra mortgage!

I think if you start with good tools a new hobby will be so much easier
- nothing worse than trying to do a good job with tools not made to
tackle what you're trying to achieve at any time - even worse for a
beginner.

I don't know anything about the 1530 at all I'm afaid.

Sounds as though your wife is going to have fun doing the comparisons.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

wrote:
On Dec 20, 8:33 am, wrote:
Hello all,
... portion snipped ...

Old December 21st 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Julia in MN

Sally Swindells wrote:
As far as I'm concerned a machine bought for a quilter needs a big harp
area. I tend to stick with lap quilt size quilts and would still find
problems manouvering on anything smaller. I've looked at Berninas when
I've passed them in shops and always thought how small they are!

That's true if the quilter is going to do the quilting on that machine.
If all she is going to do is piece, the smaller machine may be okay. The
larger harp area is not so important if all the quilts will be quilted
by hand or sent out for quilting. And if she wants to take the machine
to classes and retreats, the smaller machine may be perfect. I don't
think I'd want to lug a Janome 6600 to a class or retreat.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old December 21st 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting, rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Default Thanks -- Bernina: Used 1530 vs new 220

Thanks for all the good responses so far. I also liked the "heft" of
the 1530 over the 210 and 230 they did have in the store. I hadn't
thought about having to take it to classes and stuff though.

I didn't set them side-by-side, but the harp (I'm guessing this is the
round space to the right of the needle, for rolling up stuff and
scrunching it through the machine) didn't look any bigger on the 1530
than on the 210 (which should be identical, physically, to the sold-
out 220).

Does the 1530 have a larger harp? Some responses seem to imply it
does.

Also, Bev, I figured out RSI and FMQ but you lost me on BSR?

It sounds as if she needs to mainly decide on whether or not she likes
the track-ball interface, and if she likes it the 1530 is the better
of these two machines. Thanks also for not mentioning actual prices,
I'll have her look here and maybe follow up. I'm already pushing the
budget at this level, and can't really go any higher right now. We
were hoping the Bernina would hold it's value, and if she really gets
into the quilting she can trade up later. I guess that's another
reason I like the used machine over the plastic 220.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas
Old December 21st 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Oh boy! Trading in a used sewing machine is exactly like trading cars. The
machines drop in value a huge amount the first year or so. That's why a
nearly new used machine is such a great buy- it will usually still have some
warranty and be considerably cheaper than brand new- just like trading cars.
Also, like trading a car, there is that ridiculous numbers game- charge more
for what's being purchased so they can give the trade-in a greater value.
This includes the 'famous' statement "if you trade it in within a year we'll
give you what you paid for it". Ridiculous! It's still a used trade-in...
they cannot resell it as new for the same price as a new machine, can they?
There's no way they can legitimately give you what you paid for it and
remain in business very long.

If what you want to buy costs $2K at one dealer and your trade in is valued
at $1K- then you have to give the dealer $1K cash plus your trade in, right?
If what you want to buy at another dealer (same purchased machine as in the
previous example) is priced at $3K and they say your trade-in is worth $2K-
you STILL have to give the dealer your machine and $1K cash, right? So many
people think the second example is a 'better deal' cuz they are getting $2K
for their trade-in instead of *only* $1K. It's apples and oranges. All
that matters is how much cash you have to put with your trade-in.... NOT
what the trade-in value may be or even what the sale price on the purchase
may be. As long as what you are buying is comparable at both dealers it's
just a numbers game that means nothing. If you don't have a trade-in it's
cut and dried- what you pay in cash is what you pay at either dealer. It's
the trade-in that muddies it all up.

Leslie (worked in auto dealerships for a hundred years and saw this twenty
time a day), Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

wrote in message
[...]

Bernina: Used 1530 vs new 220 [email protected] Quilting 37 December 23rd 07 06:33 PM
Bernina 440 QE WitchyStitcher Quilting 6 January 18th 06 01:16 AM
Help, new Bernina 155 Polly Esther Quilting 9 May 12th 04 09:33 PM
Bernina 155? Polly Esther Quilting 10 May 5th 04 04:46 AM
Bernina 930 help? KCK Quilting 7 February 10th 04 03:19 PM