refector tape sewing

Old December 18th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
ilaboo

Default refector tape sewing

other than glue and hand sewing--what is the best way to sew refector tape
about 6 inches from wrist--i do not have a drop foot machine--can this be
done with a serger?
any advice eally appreciated--i can get to one of the edges of teh tape but
not the other

tia
peter

Old December 18th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:11:03 GMT, "ilaboo"
wrote:

other than glue and hand sewing--what is the best way to sew refector tape
about 6 inches from wrist--i do not have a drop foot machine--can this be
done with a serger?
any advice eally appreciated--i can get to one of the edges of teh tape but
not the other

One of my pairs of custom-made bike shorts had a patch pocket sewn on
with a serger, so applique' must be possible -- with *some* sergers.
The tailor might have had a special-purpose pocket-applying machine
for all I know.

You can open the sleeve seam, sew on the tape, then sew the seam up
again. Odds are that would be easier to sew it on by hand. Or
machine-stitch the side that you can reach, and tack down the other
edge by hand.

If the tape is tough, pre-punching your hand-sewing holes with an awl
or an un-threaded sewing machine will help. Using the sewing machine
may tempt you to punch too many holes -- there is no strain on an
applique', so teeny-tiny stitches are not required. (You do have to
keep the threads on the inside very short, or they will wear away.)

Idle curiosity: where do you buy your retro-reflective tape, and what
is a "drop foot" machine? I've answered as if you meant "free arm".

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing
Old December 19th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
ilaboo

wrote:

[...]

yes wrong word--it is a free arm
machine

ebay was where i got the tape--sold by the yard and it is of excellant
quality

i think the tailor i just went to has a machine that could do it ( i
think--seems when i relooked at it it was a blindstitch machine)

tia
peter

Joy Beeson

Old December 19th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

FWIW, Rose City Textiles has 3-M scotchlite piping and tapes... I think the
tapes are half inch and one inch, but may be wrong. Also has wide
black grosgrain with about an inch wide strip of Scotchlite down the
middle that makes it very easy to sew.

The piping is made of approximately heavy butcher string cord with
scotchlite applied to what appears to be a lightweight tricot. Inserts
very nicely into seams.

Kay

Bias Tape Patti S Quilting 6 December 31st 05 11:14 AM
OT Hem tape up for grabs Kathy Applebaum Quilting 11 October 20th 05 03:14 PM
Need tape wiring help [email protected] Doll Houses 5 August 26th 04 12:17 PM
*AD* Klew Tape kelly Polymer Clay 0 April 9th 04 11:20 PM
Dichroic tape [email protected] Glass 2 December 23rd 03 12:45 AM