Classes?

Old June 14th 04, 12:38 AM
DreamBeadr

Default Classes?

Hi Beaders,
I am searching for some of your advice and expertise.
It has been years since we offered beading classes at the shop. Expanding into
other areas took away the energy for them.
But, after all the requests we are getting, I can no longer avoid giving my
customers what they want. ;o)

So, I am interested in some information. Since it has been so long since we
taught, I am sure some of the policies have changed and also the expectations
of the students.
If you are a teacher, a store owner who teaches and/or brings in teachers, or a
student, I am interested in your input.

What kinds of classes are you interested in?
Or, what kinds of classes do you offer? (generically speaking, I am not
interested in copying you) =o)
What length of classes would you be interested in taking?
Or what length of classes work well for your shop?
What is the price range you would be comfortable paying?
Or what is the average price range you charge?
Do you enjoy taking classes from guest instructors?
Or do you bring in guest instructors?
(Store owners, please feel free to email me with % information instead of
posting it publicly Dreambeadr at aol dot com)
What are your policies for sign-ups? Deposit? Refundable?
Anything important I left out?

I appreciate any information you are willing to share with me from any
direction. Students input is just as important to me as the teachers and store
owners.

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com

Old June 14th 04, 02:30 AM
Carla

DreamBeadr wrote:
Hi Beaders,
I am searching for some of your advice and expertise.
It has been years since we offered beading classes at the shop. Expanding into
other areas took away the energy for them.
But, after all the requests we are getting, I can no longer avoid giving my
customers what they want. ;o)

What kinds of classes are you interested in?

Stuff that I can repeat at home that won't require a *lot* of money or
specialty tools. For instance, as much as I love lampwork, I haven't
taken a class in it yet. I've got no way to set up the materials at
home, or even afford the starter kit (and hubby still isn't keen on me
having a torch in the kitchen g).

What length of classes would you be interested in taking?

No more than a couple of hours on a weeknight (although the classes I've
taken always seem to run about 20-30 minutes over). Longer on the weekend.

What is the price range you would be comfortable paying?

Depends on whether or not materials are provided, or if I'm
bringing/buying my own stuff. I think I paid about $20 (US) for my
first class, which was very basic earring making, but all the materials
(base metal and glass beads) were provided. A wire-wrapping class was
about $45 (IIRC), and silver wire was provided.

A nice touch was having a ten percent discount in the store immediately
following the class

Do you enjoy taking classes from guest instructors?

I wouldn't know who was a guest or who was a regular at my LBS. Lots of
folks passing through there on a regular basis

Good luck,
Carla

Old June 14th 04, 02:52 AM
starlia

Okay, I'll give it a go.

What kinds of classes are you interested in?

I'm always interested in beading classes, i.e. loom, off-loom, etc. I would
prefer advanced classes.

Or, what kinds of classes do you offer? (generically speaking, I am not
interested in copying you) =o)

Beginning and intermediate lampwork classes.

What length of classes would you be interested in taking?

If it's for beading then no more than 3 hours a night once a week...if we
even need more than one night.

I enjoyed my two day class with Jennifer. I think that covered almost
everything she had for us for an intermediate lampworking class.

Or what length of classes work well for your shop?

Four to six hours.

What is the price range you would be comfortable paying?

It depends on the class. I usually stick to $20-45 for beading classes. I
would pay up to $500 for a two day class with someone I really wanted to
learn more lampworking skills from. It really depends on the instructors
though. If it was Tom & Sage I wouldn't bat an eye about paying that.

Or what is the average price range you charge?

I want the beginning and intermediate classes to be very reasonable at $65
for four hours.

Do you enjoy taking classes from guest instructors?

Yes

Or do you bring in guest instructors?

No

(Store owners, please feel free to email me with % information instead of
posting it publicly Dreambeadr at aol dot com)
What are your policies for sign-ups? Deposit? Refundable?

I offer one on one classes - which is what I prefer to take. I will
occassionally take on two students at once, but that's it.

I take a $25 deposit for the classes, non-refundable if they decide not to
take it. They have three times to reschedule. After the third they lose
the deposit.

Anything important I left out?

I'm brain dead right now after a full day of making beads. I can't think of
anything at the moment.

Old June 14th 04, 08:00 AM
Christina Peterson

"DreamBeadr" wrote ...

... I am interested in some information.

What kinds of classes are you interested in?

I like classes in very simple things that I can complicate the hell out of.
Like the simple little twist necklace that you can add stone chips or drops
to, or make long lush loops for.
Also basics like wire loops, etc. And pearl knotting. A RAW bracelet to
embellish. I'd also take a class in beaded beads.
I've also taken classes in PMC and slumped glass.
But if you have classes in PMC or fused glass, I think you should have
firing resources to ive to your students (renting kiln time, or giving a
reference)

What length of classes would you be interested in taking?

A two or three hour long class in the evening gives enough time for fumble
fingers like me. So that most everyone has a chance to put someyhing or
other together. Also enough time for people to start making mistakes that
you can catch and correct.
Over the weekend works well for an intensive class. But I do find that for
me with a problem with info overload, the weekend thing, 3 hours on Fri
night and 2 8s on Sat and Sun, usually gives me more information than I can
process. (Though I love that sort of thing).

What is the price range you would be comfortable paying?

For an evening class $20 to $35.
It was over $400 for the PMC class (20 hours, 2 instructors plus an
assistant, minimum PMC provided, firing, on-going contact encouraged)

Do you enjoy taking classes from guest instructors?

Definitely, especially here where we have a small population.

What are your policies for sign-ups? Deposit? Refundable?

My local bead lady prefers not to do a non-refundable deposit, because it
also ties her into a class. I've had her cancel a class when only 1 or 2
people sound certain about being there.

Anything important I left out?

I too prefer classes in things that don't require me to get a lot of
equipment and add on another room to the house. I am most interested in
beginning and intermediate classes. I usually do my own
advanced/experimental stuff -- sometimes by mistake. And usually in a
class, a student get ask those advanced questions anyway.

For advanced work I want to be in a school situation or do one-on-one.

I like the 10% off on class night thing (actually, I usually get better than
that), and dislike kits that don't let me play with colors, or favorite bead
shapes.

Tina

Old June 14th 04, 08:47 PM
ally

What kinds of classes are you interested in?

All sorts. Make up samples and display them, cos even if I think I
wouldnt be interested in XXX, if I saw it I might change my mind.

What length of classes would you be interested in taking?

If I was going for an evening or part day then 3 hours max. If it was
all day then 6 - 7 hours with a break for lunch.

Or what length of classes work well for your shop?

Well we dont have a bead shop near us but we do have a pottery painting
shop that does PMC classes and they are 3 hours long in the evening.

What is the price range you would be comfortable paying?

Well when I was at the quilt show in Chicago last year I did some
beading classes and paid $35-50 for 3 hour class and $90-100 for an all
day class (I think) but that included the kit of beads and instructions.
If you are having the classes at your shop you could let people choose
and pay for their own beads and give them a discount.

Do you enjoy taking classes from guest instructors?

YES! Particularly if you can get well known ones (but they cost more I
know).

What are your policies for sign-ups? Deposit? Refundable?

I've always had to pay a deposit which was non-refundable and I think
thats perfectly fair.

Have spare kits in an assortment of colorways so that people can have a
choice of color and the early birds dont get everything. Also, you can
sell the spares afterwards.
One kit I had in a class had a sample of each of the beads in the kit
stitched into the cover of the kit. I thought this was a really good
idea cos it was a reference of what to buy when I want to make another.

:-)
--
ally
website: www.alcom.demon.co.uk
Old June 14th 04, 08:58 PM
Dr. Sooz

What kinds of classes are you interested in?

I've taken the basics. I want classes that are quirky and interesting, but
that don't take 6 hours. I'd love to take them that long, but unless you want
to call an ambulance (exagerrating -- but not by much), I won't sign up for
these. (see next question/answer for more) For instance, I'm taking "Say It
On Your Wrist", taught by Lisa Niven Kelly (guest instructor), this
term.....stamping words and letters on metal bracelets. I wanted very much to
take a class making seed-bead-woven sea creatures, but it was an extremely long
class and I had to (tearfully) not sign up.

What length of classes would you be interested in taking?

In my opinion -- and the opinion of many of my fellow local beaders -- anything
over 4 hours is really hard on many of us. I simply don't sign up for those.
If it goes over 4 hours, please consider splitting it up into two classtimes.
You'll have more people signing up, and less people cancelling.

What is the price range you would be comfortable paying?

Entirely depends upon how badly I want to take the class. Though some prices
are exorbitant, especially if you're expecting us to fork over money for a
class kit, too. I'm sorry I'm not being more specific.

What you can do is check out some other bead store classes on the internet, and
see what the going rates are these days. That might help very much. Here's
one in northern California:
San Rafael & Berkeley locations:
http://baublesandbeads.com/classindex.html

Or what is the average price range you charge?

If I answer regarding my LBS, that varies tremendously. Depending on what the
class is, how technical, how much the imported celebrity teacher is charging
and what kind of draw they are, and how long the class is, that can be anything
from $35 to $140. From what I've seen in the Bay Area, their prices are
somewhat lower than usual, too.

Do you enjoy taking classes from guest instructors?

Oh yes! It's a terrific change of pace, and it can be thrilling if it's a well
known person in the bead world. Some well known beaders are celebrities for a
reason -- they're gifted teachers, and they're just --- unique. Plus it's hard
for me to travel to Bead & Button shows, et al.

What are your policies for sign-ups? Deposit? Refundable?

My LBS doesn't offer refunds. If you cancel a class for a Very Good Reason,
they will transfer you to another class for a fee ($10 handling charge). There
is a time limit for cancelling a class, and if you don't make it in time, there
is NO refund.

I think this is reasonable to keep people from screwing up the schedules
willy-nilly which equals chaos, *and* to keep from taking advantage of the bead
store's good nature.

No deposit. You pay 100% up front. If you buy 3 or more classes, you get a
10% reduction in class fees (not including guest instructor classes), which
encourages people to take more than one or two classes. (It works.)

Their sign-up policies include:
~ Class sign-ups start on a particular date. (The class schedule handbook goes
out in advance of the sign-up day.)
~ If you come in person to sign up, you get precedence in obtaining classes.
~ Faxes are second in precedence.
~ They do not take phone sign-ups on the first few days of sign-ups.

Other items of interest:
~ They give you a discount card for at least 5 days before, and 5 days after,
the class. The discount is for 20%, and does not cover current sale items or
net items.

~ They ask that you have your materials before the class starts, PLEASE. If
you want to change materials, they'll let you shop during class, of course.
But not having a thing with you makes for a chaotic and delayed start to class.
Class Etiquette is important, and they state this clearly in the class
schedule handbook. (Class material lists are given when you receive your
classes....receipts, material lists, and discount cards all arrive together in
the mail.)

~ No kids in class. It detracts from the experience for other students.

One thing of interest: When I asked the manager what part of the store made
them the most money, she said, without hesitation, "CLASSES!" Another place
where I take classes (not a bead store) said that without their classes, the
store would've closed. The classes saved the business (and it's a delicious,
fascinating store with many items, on a hot shopping street). So go for it! I
don't know how any store can survive without holding classes these days.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old June 14th 04, 10:26 PM
Dr. Sooz

For instance, as much as I love lampwork, I haven't
taken a class in it yet.

You know, lampwork classes might not be a good idea for bead shop
classes.....*that* could give them a different addiction, one that might take
the customer away from bead-buying.

I think I paid about $20 (US) for my
first class, which was very basic earring making, but all the materials
(base metal and glass beads) were provided. A wire-wrapping class was
about $45 (IIRC), and silver wire was provided.

What part of the country IS that?!? Wow, that's unheard of!

A nice touch was having a ten percent discount in the store immediately
following the class

....but then, we do have a 20% discount, and it's for at least 10 days.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old June 14th 04, 10:32 PM
Dr. Sooz

What kinds of classes are you interested in?

All sorts. Make up samples and display them, cos even if I think I
wouldnt be interested in XXX, if I saw it I might change my mind.

I think this is a really, really good suggestion. My class choices are always
based more upon what I see in the shop window (where they display the class
examples) than the handbook/schedule. Even if I read the whole thing first, I
save my decisions til I see what the stuff looks like.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old June 14th 04, 10:34 PM
Candace

For instance, as much as I love lampwork, I haven't
taken a class in it yet.

You know, lampwork classes might not be a good idea for bead shop
classes.....*that* could give them a different addiction, one that might take
the customer away from bead-buying.

Wouldn't they still want spacers, fillers, clasps, slides, and accents?

~Candace~
Orphan Beads Low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader
http://snipurl.com/6s4t