Glitter on fabric

Old December 5th 03, 12:18 AM
J. Hooley

Default Glitter on fabric

Does anyone know of a product that can be applied to fabric, or some method
to keep the glitter from coming off fabric onto everything? Thanks -

Cathy
*********************************
Cathy Hooley
Goose Tracks Quilts
www.goosetracks.com

Old December 5th 03, 12:50 PM
Joy Hardie

Cathy wrote... Does anyone know of a product that can be applied to fabric, or some method
to keep the glitter from coming off fabric onto everything? Thanks -

I am probably not the definitive answer on this but I do use literally
(nearly) tons of glitter in my designs for skaters, dancers and
decorations. Anything you put over or in with the glitter - such as
pre-mixed glitter/paint or glitter/glue products will not be as
sparkly or as shiny and bright because there is a coating to dull the
surface. It will however "hold" your little glitter pieces in place.
Your most brilliant application, with a glue or paint product and then
the glitter applied to the wet surface is best. After it has dried
and excess removed (and saved back to the container) then let the
poject dry thoroughly. Now, take the item OUTSIDE for a good shake to
allow any loose particles to falI. If it is an activewear garment, the
first couple wearings will see the most "shedding" but it shouldn't be
noticeable and hopefully it won't be in your livingroom.
Joy
Old December 6th 03, 03:34 AM
J. Hooley

thanks Joy - I'm looking for something to use after the glitter has been
applied - do you recommend glue or paint - this would be on a cotton
t-shirt. Thanks again,.

Cathy

--
*********************************
Cathy Hooley

Old December 6th 03, 02:50 PM
Joy Hardie

Cathy wrote...
thanks Joy - I'm looking for something to use after the glitter has been
applied - do you recommend glue or paint - this would be on a cotton
t-shirt. Thanks again,.

If it was a fairly "tight" design I would probably paint over it with
a light glue coating and a paint brush. If the design was an
"all-over" design I might dilute the glue enough to do a spray bottle
application. But, I havn't tried this so it would be esperimental and
would change the feel of the fabric (and questionable for a quilt
application). In any case, as you say, for a quilt you certainly
can't have glitter flaking off in the bed and it would be slighly
sharp and irritating to the skin on contact so som type of sealant
would be desireable. Glue that would dry clear and flexible would be
my first choice.
Joy
Old December 6th 03, 04:12 PM
J. Hooley

Thanks again Joy - I'll give it a try & let you know how it comes out.
Cathy
*********************************
Cathy Hooley
Goose Tracks Quilts
www.goosetracks.com

Old December 6th 03, 05:19 PM
Trishty

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:18:23 GMT, J. Hooley wrote:

Does anyone know of a product that can be applied to fabric, or some method
to keep the glitter from coming off fabric onto everything? Thanks -

If you find one, let me know! I've got a 1950s dress that is STILL losing
its glitter over all and sundry every time I wear it.

Trish

quilt shops in NY Terbear Quilting 8 April 6th 04 08:41 PM
Squishie Fabric Quality Mika Quilting 21 April 3rd 04 04:18 PM
Pirates o' the South Pacific Swap frood Quilting 27 January 25th 04 12:04 AM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Super Fabric Bargains, July Pat in Virginia Quilting 8 August 27th 03 03:14 AM