Polymer-clay is not good !

Old October 20th 04, 03:09 PM
~Candace~

The only time you need to be concerned about fumes is if you burn the clay.
Baking the clay at the directed temperature and time will not produce toxic
fumes.

I too can smell the clay as it bakes--but those are not fumes that will harm
me, in such small doses. I'm sure that if I enclosed myself in a 4x4 room
and did nothing but breath the scent in for an hour it would do me some
harm, but I'm not going to do that.

Anything that warms up in your oven is going to produce a scent. Anything
that burns in your oven is going to produce a fume that isn't good. Just
make sure you keep things to curing and not burning and you should be just
fine.

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

"LJCefali" wrote in message
Cripes. I'm just gonna have to use that...oh...man...what's it called?
COMMON SENSE

This was a serious inquiry... common sense does not tell you to hold your
breath when things are baking.
The package tells you NOT to breath the fumes.
Recently I was at an art conference and they had several ovens going -
nothing
was burning and you could still smell the polymer - just with the baking
process.

I have yet had common sense tell me to not breath, yet the packaging tells
me
not to. It does say it is toxic if it burns, but also said that you
shouldn't
breath it when it bakes.

Sorry if my question offended you, but I do care about health and safety
in my
art work.
The more people that understand product safety the better - I was only
trying
to be an "informed consumer."
If understanding the warning label were common sense, it would have made
more
sense.

Old October 21st 04, 12:19 AM
Sjpolyclay

Sometime common sense, as someone else suggested, isn't the best way to go
when
you are dealing with future health issues

and some times it is. If you are worried about fumes, ventilate. At our
retreats, the ovens are outside. I use a fan, my oven is in the garage. If you
are concerned, then buy a thermometer, a fan, open the window, put the oven in
a separate place and be careful!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old October 21st 04, 12:47 AM
LJCefali

The only time you need to be concerned about fumes is if you burn the clay.

That is the word of mouth info that I hear, but the package does say that you
should not breath the fumes while it is baking. There must be some reason for
this.

Old October 21st 04, 12:49 AM
LJCefali

At our
retreats, the ovens are outside

This is the smart way to do it... I wish more retreats were mindful of this.

Old October 21st 04, 12:51 AM
LJCefali

and although I can smell the slight plastic odor from curing, I have no
problems.

That you know of or that are showing up now... the accumulative affect can
affect you later.

I am not worried at home when I can take the oven outside, but as I said, I
think people need to be more mindful of hazards at art retreats and gatherings.

Thank you to the person who sent me the polymer site/safety info.
I am sure I will find that helpful.
ljc
Old October 21st 04, 01:26 AM
Diana Curtis

If you feel the risk in using polyclay in the safe, prescribed manner that
the manufacturers and experts here have outlined in great detail, then
perhaps you need to consider another, safer clay to use, such as a
cornstarch based one, or one made of sawdust and salt and cornstarch. No one
will insist you use polymer clays.
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)

Old October 21st 04, 01:53 PM
LJCefali

f you feel the risk in using polyclay in the safe, prescribed manner that
the manufacturers and experts here have outlined in great detail, then
perhaps you need to consider another, safer clay to use, such as a
cornstarch based one, or one made of sawdust and salt and cornstarch.

thanks - that is why I am asking questions, and getting advise here. There
seems to be very little around other then venues like this one. That is why I
have been asking so many questions, so that I can be an informed consumer. When
the packaging offers little in the way of warning (more now then a couple years
ago - back when there was no internet to check either), this seems to be the
best place to get correct information. Much better then a sales associate at a
chain craft store, that might not really know this product.

I am not putting down the product, nor those who seem to have taken offense at
my questions.
I just feel that when there are various things being said about the safety of a
product, that it is important to find out about before investing time, money
and health.

Thanks to those who gave serious info and passed along places to check out.
ljc

Old October 21st 04, 04:08 PM
Sjpolyclay

This is the smart way to do it... I wish more retreats were mindful of this.

I'm the oven monitor at our retreats. If you want the work done a certain way,
and peace of mind about it, then---VOLUNTEER and do the work!

"He has the right to criticize, who has the heart to help" ---Abraham Lincoln

Old October 21st 04, 09:07 PM
LJCefali

If you want the work done a certain way,
and peace of mind about it, then---VOLUNTEER and do the work!

If I were in the class that used the ovens I would consider it - I was in
another class (not a polymer class) and the fumes were wafting through the
hallways.
Didn't want to leave my class to monitor their ovens.
(and they were not burning, there were fumes coming from them. The fumes would
come whether someone sat there (and inhaled even more fumes) or not).