Variable width yarn scarf pattern?

Old October 19th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Padishar Creel

Default Variable width yarn scarf pattern?

A friend gave me 380 yards of yarn they had spun from their own sheep.
It is white and is a variable width. It is spun with yarn and roving
mixed together to form fat sections and thin sections. The pattern she
wanted done is too complex and calls for fingering weight yarn anyway.
I am leaning towards a simple pattern to show of the texture of this
beautiful yarn.

I thought I would run it by my friends here and get your thoughts. The
needle size appears to be a 10 1/2 (US) knitting needle for this yarn.

My friend is a 6' tall lady who is busty and so I am leaning also
towards a longer and thinner scarf pattern?

Your thoughts, PLEASE...

Padishar Creel

PS It can be either a crochet or knitting pattern, cuz I duz both
thanks to the encouragement I got here...

Old October 19th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mau

The fun thing with yarn like this is it doesn't really need a pattern as the
unusualness of the yarn creates the pattern. I've seen thick/thin yarn used
in a simple K1 P1 rib which looks quite striking. Also using a larger than
normal needle size will show off the changing thickness of the yarn and stop
the scarf from becoming too bulky.

Why not swatch a little and see what you think?

Keep smiling :-)

Mau

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
ups.com...
A friend gave me 380 yards of yarn they had spun from their own sheep.
It is white and is a variable width. It is spun with yarn and roving
mixed together to form fat sections and thin sections. The pattern she
wanted done is too complex and calls for fingering weight yarn anyway.
I am leaning towards a simple pattern to show of the texture of this
beautiful yarn.

I thought I would run it by my friends here and get your thoughts. The
needle size appears to be a 10 1/2 (US) knitting needle for this yarn.

My friend is a 6' tall lady who is busty and so I am leaning also
towards a longer and thinner scarf pattern?

Your thoughts, PLEASE...

Padishar Creel

PS It can be either a crochet or knitting pattern, cuz I duz both
thanks to the encouragement I got here...

Help with pattern using different yarn Dawn0 Needlework 0 August 11th 06 03:17 AM
ascot scarf pattern Stella Fenley Yarn 8 June 14th 05 04:30 PM
Pattern wanted: Magic Scarf Pattern, expandable version john smith Yarn 9 June 1st 05 07:11 AM
FA: Abundance of Vogue patterns buck16 Marketplace 0 February 20th 04 08:48 PM
scarf pattern for all macon Machine Knit 6 December 1st 03 03:48 PM