ON TOPIC - Donna is coming to my house

Old July 16th 09, 01:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default ON TOPIC - Donna is coming to my house

She's here dropping DD back at school and visiting her sister who lives in
NH.

So, I'm off to the grocery store for Benadryl for the DS with poison ivy,
some good munchies and something that catches my eye for dinner....

Cheryl

Old July 16th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/16/09 8:10 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

She's here dropping DD back at school and visiting her sister who lives in
NH.

So, I'm off to the grocery store for Benadryl for the DS with poison ivy,
some good munchies and something that catches my eye for dinner....

Cheryl

TECNU clear gel ointment - it's a combo benadryl/hydrocortisone, IIRC.
Anyhow, it works great on poison ivy - DH is always getting into it. I,
personally, extremely allergic to it, so use prescription stuff, but the
Tecnu works in between.

ellice

Old July 16th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/16/09 11:12 AM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

On 7/16/09 8:10 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

She's here dropping DD back at school and visiting her sister who lives in
NH.

So, I'm off to the grocery store for Benadryl for the DS with poison ivy,
some good munchies and something that catches my eye for dinner....

Cheryl

TECNU clear gel ointment - it's a combo benadryl/hydrocortisone, IIRC.
Anyhow, it works great on poison ivy - DH is always getting into it. I,
personally, extremely allergic to it, so use prescription stuff, but the
Tecnu works in between.

ellice

Actually, we're headed to "urgent/after hours care", appears the PI is
spreading...

Old July 16th 09, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

On 7/16/09 8:10 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

She's here dropping DD back at school and visiting her sister who lives in
NH.

So, I'm off to the grocery store for Benadryl for the DS with poison ivy,
some good munchies and something that catches my eye for dinner....

Cheryl

TECNU clear gel ointment - it's a combo benadryl/hydrocortisone, IIRC.
Anyhow, it works great on poison ivy - DH is always getting into it. I,
personally, extremely allergic to it, so use prescription stuff, but the
Tecnu works in between.

ellice

Actually, we're headed to "urgent/after hours care", appears the PI is
spreading...

Yikes - not fun. The first time I got it - spread all over - ended up with
about a week on steroids, fever including swollen eyes (totally ucky) for
about 5 days, and then it took nearly 2 weeks for things to clear. My boss
at summer camp - very unhappy - as I was stuck walking around with a cup of
hydrocortisone from the doc all the time. I picked it up from one of the
horses - the sap can sit on their hair, and, well, I'd done a little casual
ride around the ring - bareback, in shorts. Very short. Evidently it got
on my thighs, legs, across my chest (I had been wearing a tank top and
leaned across him during grooming). You can imagine. Despite the cool
shower and being careful - it was not a good experience, to say the least.
So, I'm very careful since then.

Hope DS does okay.

Ellice

Old July 16th 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]

Hoping we caught it before it went really south!

Old July 16th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/16/09 5:06 PM, in article ,
"ellice"
wrote:

On 7/16/09 4:10 PM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 7/16/09 11:12 AM, in article ,
"ellice"
wrote:

[...]

My DDH had a very severe contact rash of undetermined origin at one time
and was on daily cortisone shots for almost a week. I do hope that doesn't
happen because I can't remember anyone being more miserable.

Lucille

Old July 17th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

wrote:
On 7/16/09 8:10 AM, �"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

She's here dropping DD back at school and visiting her sister who lives in
NH.

So, I'm off to the grocery store for Benadryl for the DS with poison ivy,
some good munchies and something that catches my eye for dinner....

Cheryl

TECNU clear gel ointment - it's a combo benadryl/hydrocortisone, IIRC.
Anyhow, it works great on poison ivy - DH is always getting into it. I,
personally, extremely allergic to it, so use prescription stuff, but the
Tecnu works in between.

ellice

Actually, we're headed to "urgent/after hours care", appears the PI is
spreading...

Not fun at all. I usually wasn't bothered much but last summer got
a good dose. Needed steroids to get rid of it. Was "very careful"
when working in that area of the yard this year.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

Nancy
Old July 17th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Lucille wrote:

My DDH had a very severe contact rash of undetermined origin at one
time and was on daily cortisone shots for almost a week. I do hope
that doesn't happen because I can't remember anyone being more miserable.

Lucille

My DS is allergic to Wandering Jew and we found that out by clearing a
huge patch of it from (then) DBFs back garden. DS was very helpful by
scooping up great armfuls of the stuff, which he held against his chest
and transported to the WizzBin. Poor DS came out in a horribly blistery
rash all over his front and went through agonies of itching till we
could get antihistamine for him from the after hours chemist. Since
then, his sensitivity has gotten worse and he's only got to touch a bit
of the stuff for his lips and eyes to swell up. Yick! It's not nice!

I think I've told this story before, but once upon a time, the Ugly
Sister and her friend snuck off to ride their horses (bareback) through
the bush. This was instead of doing homework, you understand. Poetic
justice came into play because they found a mound of fat pink 'pillows'
dumped in a pile with some other refuse. They thought these would make
fine saddle substitutes to relieve the discomfort of bareback riding.
Both girls rode home on their 'lovely pink pillows' and by the time they
got there, their respective bottoms were on fire. The 'pillows' had been
fibreglass insulating batts.

I got the dubious pleasure of plucking what fibreglass filaments I could
from Ugly's butt with a tweezer. My heart sang a little song of
rejoicing as I did so: great was Ugly's discomfort and puce was the
awful rash that covered her behind! ;-

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old July 17th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:10:55 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Actually, we're headed to "urgent/after hours care", appears the PI is
spreading...

Have a care, my eldest was extremely susceptible to PI. She couldn't
afford to stroke the dog if he had been through the area which had
plants in it. Ultimately she was so ill with it that during the next
winter she had to have a series of shots to immunise her to it.

She still gets a bad reaction to it, but not a dangerous one. The
last time before the shots her throat swelled and she could barely
breathe and was hospitalised. For some individuals PI is a very
serious matter.

I used to buy Aveeno Oatmeal Bath and she would bathe in it. Didn't
cure it but it did at least soothe her skin.

I'm allergic to everything and anything and often have a problem with itchy
skin and/or rashes. I found something called Aveeno Anti-itch Concentrated
Lotion, a pretty pink, non-smelly or gooky lotion, that's very helpful. I
find it just about as good as the cortisone creams and much more pleasant to
use.