1000 more down

Old July 13th 09, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna D.

Default 1000 more down

Well I got to sit in my garden and stitch for hours. What a day. Checked my
stitches with my magnifier so nothing is off this time. Unfortunately 1000
stitches didn't make a dent in to this picture. I don't usually count
stitches for that reason. I swore off large projects but the 3 I have are
large. The fourth one I am going to start soon is small I think.. My son is
working on his Eagle scout and I bought the Boy Scout cross stitch book so I
can make a picture for him.

I do have to say Dimensions is fast for sending extra floss every time I ran
out I received more within a week. My DH says they are going to quit sending
but they haven't yet. I did run out of at least 6 colors. I have large sums
of floss but decided with this kit I was going to use the floss that came
with the kit. It has toms of colors and my Magical Night cost over 20.00 for
floss that was on sale. Not to mention I replace the fabric. I hate kits
because I don't like kit floss or fabric but I couldn't get just a chart.
and kits are rather expensive now.
Donna

Old July 14th 09, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
J. H. T./B.D.P.

At least with Dimensions they make sets of floss that you can buy
at the store if you run out unlike most of the other kit manufacturers
[not counting major floss maker's kits]. I hate when it happens for
those other makers; no floss available at store level while waiting for
extras from makers directly to keep you going, had that happen 3-4
times so far for cross stitch kits. Also have the cross-reference for
Dimensions to DMC, unlike "no-name brands".

I replaced floss in a few medium kits using floss from my DMC stash
to not be stuck and also looks better than the floss included. But doing
that is expensive, if I had to buy replacement floss right away for every
kit with an average cost of $30-60 [per kit] every 2-3 weeks when I buy
cross stitch supplies. Only have to replace a few at-a-time till my major
"GST" tax purchase time [4 times yearly - only have Michael's locally].

Thing I have noticed with most kit floss is they seem to be finer or weaker
than normal floss is, and cause of that they do one of the following: break
when pulled through; fray with larger areas done; twist heavier than
better
floss; knot-up faster and easier even on short runs; and/or colour runs
too
easy when it is either damp outside else you're sweating cause of hot days
which means missed time to complete kit. We have had rain most of the
last 2 weeks and more coming while the dry days have been in the 25-30 C
range so hot with just ceiling and tower fans cools but dry heat which is
not great while dealing with medical condition also.

Never have replaced fabric yet, except for smaller 2nd hand kit bought at
garage sale that was started and worked different than how I do stitches.
Good thing I only had to go into my stash for a piece that I had as extra
anyway.

How do others handle such conditions or situations?

"Donna D." wrote in message
[...]

FS: 1000 Clipart Birthday CD-ROM Seals4Deals Marketplace 0 May 14th 06 07:45 PM
FS: 1000 Clipart Birthday CD-ROM Seals4Deals Marketplace 0 May 12th 06 11:19 PM
Test for 1000% cotton Sally Swindells Quilting 6 July 13th 05 12:01 PM
1000 Beads Beadseeker Beads 18 June 26th 04 07:11 AM
So, think this will hit $1000? Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 20 November 12th 03 01:47 AM