I found MECCA today, Long, but on topic.

Old April 5th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default I found MECCA today, Long, but on topic.

This morning DH and I wandered, a bit late, to a local neighborhood, who
had their annual yard sale. I found a few cheap charts at a dine each,
and Jim found some electronic goobahs. Oh, yes, I forgot. I found a
Cuisinart ice-cream maker for $10. The lady swore it worked great with
Splenda, so we will see.

NOW..the ultimate sale. On the way home, we passed an estate sale sign,
about a mile from our house. A big tent had been erected. Knowing the
neighborhood, we didn't expect much.!!BONANZA.

At least 60% was stitching stuff. The price was 50cents each item( per
package). It turned out that this was a lady who bought from my LNS ( it
had the labels on much of it). She would buy the chart, then purchase
the fabric and all the required flosses!! I found a canvas with $112 on
it's original purchase price.. I think I taught the guys selling quite
a bit.

50 cents EACH!!!

DH was so bad, he had the guy drag more stuff out of the trailer. In the
end I spent about $30...for over $1000 of stuff. One chart had the
fabric, silks, etc for a total of $30, I paid 50 cents

Needless to say I talked to the sellers, and also to my LNS, and I hope
they find an equitable price. I now know what stretcher bars are,
because Miss Billie put all her stuff on them. I picked up a bunch of
unused ones too.

I feel that I have helped both parties; Caroline who sold the stuff
initially ( she said Ms Billie was her best-buying customer) and also
the family of Billie. She is in a Memory place, so doesn't know up from
down.

I am scared that Jim will have a 25cent sale when I die. This was a
lesson to him.

There was a gorgeous piece of redwork, framed beautifully for $2. The
lady running the thing had no concept of the value, but did withdraw it
for a family member.

I feel a bit guilty about profiting from the old lady....but on the
other hand, I have helped them find other buyers, such as my LNS and Ebay.

Gill
Old April 5th 09, 11:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 4/4/09 7:28 PM, in article ,
"Gillian Murray" wrote:

This morning DH and I wandered, a bit late, to a local neighborhood, who
had their annual yard sale. I found a few cheap charts at a dine each,
and Jim found some electronic goobahs. Oh, yes, I forgot. I found a
Cuisinart ice-cream maker for $10. The lady swore it worked great with
Splenda, so we will see.

Hmm - pass the recipe along when you have the chance...
NOW..the ultimate sale. On the way home, we passed an estate sale sign,
about a mile from our house. A big tent had been erected. Knowing the
neighborhood, we didn't expect much.!!BONANZA.

At least 60% was stitching stuff. The price was 50cents each item( per
package). It turned out that this was a lady who bought from my LNS ( it
had the labels on much of it). She would buy the chart, then purchase
the fabric and all the required flosses!! I found a canvas with $112 on
it's original purchase price.. I think I taught the guys selling quite
a bit.

50 cents EACH!!!

DH was so bad, he had the guy drag more stuff out of the trailer. In the
end I spent about $30...for over $1000 of stuff. One chart had the
fabric, silks, etc for a total of $30, I paid 50 cents

I love Jim, he's such a good husband...

Needless to say I talked to the sellers, and also to my LNS, and I hope
they find an equitable price. I now know what stretcher bars are,
because Miss Billie put all her stuff on them. I picked up a bunch of
unused ones too.

I feel that I have helped both parties; Caroline who sold the stuff
initially ( she said Ms Billie was her best-buying customer) and also
the family of Billie. She is in a Memory place, so doesn't know up from
down.

I am scared that Jim will have a 25cent sale when I die. This was a
lesson to him.

Two words - stash executor. I have one now....

There was a gorgeous piece of redwork, framed beautifully for $2. The
lady running the thing had no concept of the value, but did withdraw it
for a family member.

Oh good!

I feel a bit guilty about profiting from the old lady....but on the
other hand, I have helped them find other buyers, such as my LNS and Ebay.

Hope they have some good luck there....

Old April 5th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
[...]

Why can't I be so lucky. It sounds like a perfect day for you.

Old April 6th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Well, if you have TOO much - I bet I know a home for some of it . . .

Great find and what a haul!

linda
Old July 14th 09, 06:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
J. H. T./B.D.P.

I have luck like this at the local Value Village, for those that don't have
one
it is like a salvation army store, dollar store, and estate sale combined
except on a commercial format unlike of salvation shop's not-for-profit
and also has new retails items. They also give profits to various groups,
while other keeps most for their own help groups.

I have gone in and done same in store, finding things from books;
magazines; individual charts; loose floss; kits; hoops; stretcher bars;
and cross stitch supplies including storage cases.

For the books section, I have spent only $10-20 for up to $2000 retail,
normal pricing is 49 cents to $3.99 with a buy 3-4 items and get next free.
Individual charts are sold at 49-99 cents each, while book charts are sold
at $1.99-3.99 each. The kits, $20 for $750-1000 retail . Also the supplies
and stuff, $20-30 for $1500-2500 retail where they do mixed bags stuffed
with the selection.

Best shopping day cost me was around $85, while checking after at home
using the item's old retail price gave up a total of over $3500, and
a lot are still sold but with new higher retails. Books are the main reason
for shopping here, cause being on pension doesn't allow to buy very many
new ones at $50-100 each every 2-4 weeks.