Surface Decoration Idea Book

Old October 26th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

Default Surface Decoration Idea Book

Hello, all. Just thought I'd share a gem that I stumbled onto.
I ordered a book called "Harmonograph - A Visual Guide to the
Mathematics of Nature" and it turned out to actually be a set
of 3 books, the others being "Essential Elements - Atoms, Quarks,
and the Periodic Table", and my favorite: "Li - Dynamic Form in
Nature" . These are tiny little books, only 5.5 x 6.5 inches and
58 pages each.

The Li book is notable because it is filled with examples of
various natural patterns, like branching leaf veins, mineral
crystals, microscopic cellular arrangements, fractures, animal
spots... you name it, all neatly categorized by the general
pattern type, such as "Vermiculate - Wormlike". My first
thought when I opened this book was "WOW! Some of these
would make terrific effects on a pot surface! " Some of these,
like those shown in the "Crackle" section are already well-known
pottery surfaces. But others like "Vascular" and "Vermiculate"
are just crying out to be made. Now, of course, the big project
will be figuring out how to make them without laboriously carving
every wiggle and bend... or, if they require hand-carving, how to
get the pattern onto the clay so that it can be easily followed
with a tool. So many patterns, so little time...

Anyway, if you think you might be interested, I got this set
from www.HamiltonBooks.com. Here is the full cite:

WOODEN BOOKS: Harmonograph/Essential Elements/Li--Dynamic Form in
Nature.
By Anthony Ashton et al.

Blends science with the astonishing beauty of natural forms, to graph
the various patterns of motion in biology and astronomy, in
plant-life, and in the sound waves of various types of music. 174
pages in three volumes. Well illustrated. Size 5 x 6½ inches.
Published by Walker.

Paperbound · Remainder · Item #6085857
Your Price $3.95

Enjoy!

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v3.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!
Old October 26th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Photo copy? If you use a printer that has iron in the ink then it can just
be used on top of the glaze I think (I've never done it but
http://www.potters.org/subject78640.htm). Or place the picture over a
cheese hard pot and press into the clay as you draw over the picture for
what you want indented into the clay. You can then bisque fire, wash on
iron or another oxide, wash off of the surface (but kept in the indent) and
glaze over.... Silk screen on the image with glaze or oxide... So many
things go try - so little time.

Old October 27th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
WJS

Thank you Bob, for that link!
I just ordered 3 sets, one for me, two for gifts. I'm sure they'll be
intriguing. I'm always looking for new ideas for texture.
Lately, I've been playing with my digital camera in "macro" mode, getting
"up close and personal" with different objects. It's amazing what you miss
by not being within a few inches! Who knew?!
Best,
Wayne Seidl
VP, Potters Council, 2007-08

"Bob Masta" wrote in message
Hello, all. Just thought I'd share a gem that I stumbled onto.
I ordered a book called "Harmonograph - A Visual Guide to the
Mathematics of Nature" and it turned out to actually be a set
of 3 books, the others being "Essential Elements - Atoms, Quarks,
and the Periodic Table", and my favorite: "Li - Dynamic Form in
Nature" . These are tiny little books, only 5.5 x 6.5 inches and
58 pages each.

SNIP FOR SPACE

Child's Soft Book Idea jennellh Quilting 1 August 22nd 07 03:16 AM
Christmas decoration Janner Quilting 8 November 20th 05 03:12 PM
China decoration 50s FA JaneyP General Crafting 0 October 28th 05 12:40 AM
Close to My Heart- New idea book and catalog available Kim Rubberstamps 0 September 8th 03 05:28 PM
beaded xmas decoration Marisa Cappetta Beads 33 August 2nd 03 02:50 AM