Cleckheaton Yarn updatG

Old April 22nd 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Default Cleckheaton Yarn updatG

Every year our Knitting Guild has a retreat and part of the fun is local
yarn shops bring their stuff to sell so instead of driving all over the
place they are in one easy to get to location....about 5 miles from meG
one lady that runs a shop out of her garage had several skeins of
Cleckheaton 8ply
so I asked if she had any Bambino.....no not at the shop but if I gave her
the color numbers she could order it for meG this is great as she is 2
miles from where I live and I never thought of checking before.

Oh I picked up several sets of rosewood dps in 5.5 inch and they feel really
nice. As to yarns finally got to see and feelG Trekking XXL and bought 2
skeins......they were pricey at $13.95 but I have paid more than that for a
pair of store bought socks so was able to justify the cost as I will also
have fun making the socks! Oh and also found a yarn I had never heard of or
seen online called Ditto from Universal Yarn Inc. it was very soft too and
had a color combo my dull sister will like....blacks and tans with
grays....she wants me to make a pair of all black socks but I talked her
into a mix.

Anyway yesterday was a fun day and clear blue skies with temps in the low
70's....perfect.

Hope all are having a good day.
Donna

Old April 23rd 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

I like bamboo yarns. I have tried a few and the only problem I have is
the twist, it likes to come untwisted as I knit with it. I have
learned to redo my hold for it to be easier. I think it's a personal
thing.
I had to laugh about the black socks and talking them into something
else. Everytime I talk to my SIL's about knitting anything for them ,
they ask for it in black, I always tell them no, picka color or
pattern. I find knitting or crocheting all in black is depressing. Not
only is it harder to see, but just staring at all that black is mental
for me and I tend to end up dislikeing the project or the thoughts I
have when doing the project. SO I have banned all black knitting I
will do stripes , carryalongs or color work that includes black , but
not all of it.

I am glad you got purchases you like , it sounds like you had fun.
Coggie

Old April 23rd 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Default Yarn Varieties

On Apr 23, 4:17 pm, coggietm wrote:
I like bamboo yarns.

I'm quite jealous of the range of yarns available in the States. The
vast bulk of yarns availble here are wool or acrylic. I tend to knit
only with wool and I prefer natural fibres but the few choices outside
of wool are often very chunky or "novelty" yarns, or prohibitively
expensive. Granted being a country of more sheep than people means we
have some very nice wool yarns but I'd like to try something a little
different now and again (one of the reasons I took up spinning my own
yarn). I'm knitting with Patons Zhivago at the moment (50% Tencel, 50%
acrylic) - it's certainly very soft but it's drape means it's not that
satisfactory for patterns that need good stitch definition and it
doesn't come any finer than double-knit weight.

I supect my real problem is I'm too tight with money - I just can't
bring myself to pay $20+ (that's about US$15) for 100g of yarn!

VP

Old April 23rd 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

coggietm wrote:
I like bamboo yarns. I have tried a few and the only problem I have is
the twist, it likes to come untwisted as I knit with it. I have
learned to redo my hold for it to be easier. I think it's a personal
thing.
I had to laugh about the black socks and talking them into something
else. Everytime I talk to my SIL's about knitting anything for them ,
they ask for it in black, I always tell them no, picka color or
pattern. I find knitting or crocheting all in black is depressing. Not
only is it harder to see, but just staring at all that black is mental
for me and I tend to end up dislikeing the project or the thoughts I
have when doing the project. SO I have banned all black knitting I
will do stripes , carryalongs or color work that includes black , but
not all of it.

She is also what I call a bland dresser...no bright colors...all muted and
dull IMO....now I like lots of colors...they cheer me up...I have several
shirts I call my Happy Shirts and soon will have some happy socks tooG

I am glad you got purchases you like , it sounds like you had fun.
Coggie

Thanks Coggie....I did and we have the first of the Fiber Shows next
weekend.....lots of alpacas, sheeps, goats and bunnies.....I can't wait, oh
and of course yarn shops from all over the State of Ohio.

Donna

Old April 23rd 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On 22 Apr 2007 22:58:08 -0700, Vintage Purls
wrote:

[...]

That's the beauty of sock knitting for me. Yes, the hand-dyes do cost
$15 and more for 100g of yarn - but that's all you need and you have
the fun of knitting something that feels and looks beautiful - and
then you have the fun of wearing the socks!

Alison
Old April 23rd 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

wrote:

I supect my real problem is I'm too tight with money - I just can't
bring myself to pay $20+ (that's about US$15) for 100g of yarn!

I rarely spend that much on a single hank of yarn. I think my most
expensive single-hank purchase to date is a hank of Schaefer
laceweight silk, space-dyed and apparently colorfast. I have a hard
time producing wash-fast color on silk so I'm more than happy to pay
for other people's expertise in doing so.

You're not the only .au/.nz person I know who bemoans the lack of an
assortment of non-wool yarns in shops. As a wool snob myself I'd be
OK with a shop full of nothing but wool and wool/naturalfiber blend
yarns

If you haven't already done, drop an email to

benwool
AT
bendigo
DOT
net
DOT
au

No website, but the color cards are free, the yarn is of excellent
quality and they do offer at least one cotton line and one alpaca
line.
Old April 23rd 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

DAB wrote:

Thanks Coggie....I did and we have the first of the Fiber Shows next
weekend.....lots of alpacas, sheeps, goats and bunnies.....I can't wait, oh
and of course yarn shops from all over the State of Ohio.

Donna

Donna,

Where is this going to be?

BB
Old April 23rd 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

BB wrote:
DAB wrote:

Thanks Coggie....I did and we have the first of the Fiber Shows next
weekend.....lots of alpacas, sheeps, goats and bunnies.....I can't
wait, oh and of course yarn shops from all over the State of Ohio.

Donna

Donna,

Where is this going to be?

BB

Up near Troy OH.....they are going to have 33 different vendors and looks
bigger than the one at Young's Diary:

http://www.ewetopia.net/UpperValleyFiberFestival.htm

Old April 24th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

Oh wow,
Wish I would have known sooner and I would have planned for it. I am
in the mitten of Michigan, so we are neighbors so to speak.
I know Fiberfests are fun, but I like to save up money for them.
I am planning on going to the Michigan Fiberfest in August here's the
link for that http://michiganfiberfestival.info/
maybe next year I can head to the one in Troy if it goes again.
Thanks,
Coggie