Home - in stitches! (Slightly OT)

Old December 26th 03, 11:03 AM
Kate Dicey

Default Home - in stitches! (Slightly OT)

I got home on Christmas Eve, and my sister delivered the lad home
shortly after. HE, naturally, had had a lovely time. Mine was less
fun...

It was touch and go for a moment or three on the keyhole, as the stone
was almost too big to allow it! As a result, I have 'Church Door'
keyhole! The hole the stone came out through is over an inch long.
'Expect everything to take a little longer to settle', they warned.

Everything is settling down ok, though I'm still on fairly big doses of
pain killers, and I have to take it easy for a few days more... GA's
always take an age to wear off me - I wasn't really awake until midnight
- 13 hours after going down for the op! Yesterday morning was painful,
but be last night things were better. The only trouble is that the GA
has left me with a throat that is liable to produce dry patches and
coughing fits at no notice, and coughing is the very LAAAAAST thing I
want to do! OUCH doesn't begin to cover it! Still, all things
considered, the copious gas eruptions included, it's not as bad as
June! A lot less painful than having my wisdom teeth out, for sure!

The stitches are very neat and of the dissolvable variety, so will leave
little scarring. Not that I ca wot are 4 small scars compared to the
pain of gallstones? NOWT! I go back in 3 months for a check up.

I got most of the things I was supposed to do before Christmas done, as
did DH. He also did a great job with the Christmas dinner. Venison and
vegetables cooked to perfection! Yummy! We still have a few things to
get ready for Yorkshire and the New Year, but most things are done.

I have the most elegant and sexy (NOT!!) surgical stockings to wear for
the next 6 weeks as part of the NHS's drive to reduce post operative
DVT... The leg bit fits OK, but how they expect me to walk about with
6" of fabric flappin' round me toes, I reeely cannot say! Shoes? NOT
wiv these fings! And I'm supposed to wear them for all but an hour a
day... Good stuff! They only gave me one pair! I shall have to see
about getting a second pair, and a couple of pairs of Flight Sox fer
evenings out! Otherwise washing them could be amusing... They might
get a bit grey and wiffy!

Here's wishing you well for the season: if you don't see me as much as
usual, it's probably because I'm still asleep! I also have a couple of
new cookbooks to work through, a new kitchen gadget to play with (a
Bamix wand mixer), and plenty of new sewing stuff, including some
Fiskar's Dressmakers Sheers!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 26th 03, 11:53 AM
Trishty

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:03:53 +0000, Kate Dicey wrote:

I got home on Christmas Eve, ... Everything is settling down ok, though I'm still on fairly big doses of
pain killers, snip

Good luck with recovery after the surgery, Kate.

That gas they pump you with is awful - the DH was in agony after his - but
you might find peppermints help a bit.

Enjoy your wand mixer - you might find you become a soup queen now (so much
handier than a food processor).

Trish
Old December 26th 03, 04:01 PM
Kate Dicey

Trishty wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:03:53 +0000, Kate Dicey wrote:

I got home on Christmas Eve, ... Everything is settling down ok, though I'm still on fairly big doses of
pain killers, snip

Good luck with recovery after the surgery, Kate.

That gas they pump you with is awful - the DH was in agony after his - but
you might find peppermints help a bit.

Enjoy your wand mixer - you might find you become a soup queen now (so much
handier than a food processor).

Trish

I had a Braun wand before - a little over sized for my small paws! This
one is very neat, and a professional job. I wore the previous one out
making soups, mayo, whipped cream, all sorts of stuff! This one,
combined with the BIG Magimix food processor, will be great - nearly as
much fun as a new sewing machine!
Old December 26th 03, 04:06 PM
nana2b

So glad you finally had the nasty bit out! Continued recovery.
(((hugs)))) Linda

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old December 26th 03, 06:08 PM
SewStorm

This
one is very neat, and a professional job. I wore the previous one out
making soups, mayo, whipped cream, all sorts of stuff!

Kate, I have one of those stick mixers, and recently made some homemade salad
dressing with it--the very first time I've been able to emulsify dressing
without using a blender. It worked so well, so quickly, and washes up so
easily. Great invention!
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old December 26th 03, 10:36 PM
Pogonip

Trishty wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:03:53 +0000, Kate Dicey wrote:

I got home on Christmas Eve, ... Everything is settling down ok, though I'm still on fairly big doses of
pain killers, snip

Good luck with recovery after the surgery, Kate.

That gas they pump you with is awful - the DH was in agony after his - but
you might find peppermints help a bit.

Enjoy your wand mixer - you might find you become a soup queen now (so much
handier than a food processor).

Trish

The gas doesn't bother everyone. It caused me no trouble
at all. It was an appendectomy, though, not a gall
bladder. I still have my rock garden, and am still
searching for a nice fern that will grow in the dark. I
figure the root system will keep the rocks anchored in
place so that they don't try to escape. The stones are no
bother as long as they don't make a break for it. My gall
bladder and I are working on peaceful coexistence. ;-)
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old December 26th 03, 11:24 PM
Kate Dicey

SewStorm wrote:

This
one is very neat, and a professional job. I wore the previous one out
making soups, mayo, whipped cream, all sorts of stuff!

Kate, I have one of those stick mixers, and recently made some homemade salad
dressing with it--the very first time I've been able to emulsify dressing
without using a blender. It worked so well, so quickly, and washes up so
easily. Great invention!
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

I know! And people think they are NEW! Hehehehehe! I first used a
Bamix one in the mid seventies, and the industry has had them since
1956... Best kitchen invention since the knife! Mayo in seconds!
Old December 27th 03, 12:35 AM
melinda

Trishty wrote:
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:03:53 +0000, Kate Dicey wrote:

I got home on Christmas Eve, ... Everything is settling down ok, though I'm still on fairly big doses of
pain killers, snip

Good luck with recovery after the surgery, Kate.

That gas they pump you with is awful - the DH was in agony after his - but
you might find peppermints help a bit.

Enjoy your wand mixer - you might find you become a soup queen now (so much
handier than a food processor).

I like using mine for milkshakes, and it scrambles eggs up so much quicker.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old December 27th 03, 02:10 AM
SewStorm

I first used a
Bamix one in the mid seventies, and the industry has had them since
1956... Best kitchen invention since the knife! Mayo in seconds!

I also thought they were fairly new, and have never heard of Bamix. But then,
Yurrup has much different appliances than we have, I've always thought:
espresso machines came from "over there", and some of the very nicest vacuum
cleaners, washers, and dishwashers are all European.

The original reason I bought my stick mixer was to make smoothies, but it has
been incredibly handy for making yellow pepper soup, a delicacy first tasted at
Cibreo's, in Florence, Italy. You can find the recipe at this site:
http://www.divinacucina.com/code/peppersoup.html

Very satisfying, especially on a cold winter night. It's also equally good with
red peppers, and looks quite festive.

Kate, when I had abdominal surgery, about 15 years ago, the surgeon told me
that it takes as much as six weeks for the full amount of anaesthetic to wear
off after that type of surgery. You might just feel wobbly for a while yet.
Take care, m'dear.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old December 27th 03, 03:21 AM
Trish Brown

melinda wrote:
I like using mine for milkshakes, and it scrambles eggs up so much quicker.

--
Melinda

Oooo yes! I love my little Bamix! Every time I make pumpkin or cream of celery
soup, I think how lucky I am to have it! It's also handy for making breadcrumbs
and squashing nuts, making ice chips and frothing milk for a cappucino (which we
in Oz call 'cabbage Eno').

Here's my favourite recipe using my Bamix:

Open a large can of apricot halves and Bamix the tripes out of it until it
becomes apricot puree! (NB. No need to decant the apricots: just Bamix 'em in
the can!) Add in a tablespoonful of dried onion flakes (more if you like) and
two tablespoonsful of chicken stock powder. Bamix a bit more.

Now, pour all this lot over a panful of chicken pieces and sliced veggies
(carrot, celery etc). I like breast pieces, but my DH prefers thighs - rude man!
and cook for an hour or so in a moderate oven until chicken is well done. (You
can do this with pork spareribs as well, but boil them - the ribs, I mean - for
twenty minutes on high in the Michaelwave first to get some of the fat out. Or
not, if you are skinny...)
Serve on a bed of steamed rice or noodles.

My Mum likes to add a can of apricot nectar into the mix, but I don't: it's too
sweet!

A propos of gall bladders, can I tell my cholecystectomy horror story? (I *love*
that word: 'cholecystectomy'! It makes me feel *so* important! LOL!) Being that
I'm a long-winded sort of person, you may not want to read it, but for those who
take an unnatural interest in the guts of others (as I do!), please read on!

I went in for low-risk, low-maintenance keyhole surgery at 7am one Monday
morning. They took me to premed and gave me a shot of something in the back of
my hand. I went immediately and completely to sleep!

Next thing I knew, the surgeon was flicking my feet most importunately saying
'Wake up! Wake up, Patricia! You nearly died!.

'You'll be about to join me if you don't stop molesting my feet!' I thought
angrily as I opened one eye.

There was a crowd of people (well, eight or ten...) surrounding my bed and they
were all looking intently at my 'keyhole' which was the size of an antique bolt!
I peered down and saw that I had four charming little bandaids placed at
intervals over my tummy and this walloping great *hole* directly beneath my
breast bone!

'Good Lord!' I muttered. And all of the crowd began to exclaim at once! What on
earth was going on????

The anaesthetist spoke first.

'You didn't *tell* me you were allergic to Scoline' she admonished! I *asked* if
you had any allergies and you said 'No' - see here!' and she pushed a clipboard
in my face. It held the release form I had signed that morning and clearly
stated 'No' to the question 'Do you have any allergies to drugs or chemical
substances?'

'Well, I dunno...' I said. 'What am I allergic to?'

Then the surgeon burst out with 'I came in to do your surgery and found poor Mrs
(insert name of anaesthetist, which hereafter ought to be 'Mud') trying to
revive you. You had an acute anaphylactic reaction to the premed and she nearly
lost your airway!' All this was ejaculated at me in the most accusing tone as if
I'd planned the whole fiasco!

Apparently, after administering the premed shot, the poor woman had turned away
to do something and heard my wheeze as my airway swelled up and nearly shut
itself off. When she turned back, I was covered in red welts and turning purple
from my inability to breathe! Goodness! I had no idea! As I said, I was
completely asleep! She acted quickly and appropriately (I have no doubt of this
- I'm sure she didn't want 'death of one stout woman' engraved at the bottom of
her CV!) and eventually saved me from passing away right under her nose.

The surgical team then held a quick consultation once they got me stabilised
(with injections of adrenalin and antihistamines, for which I then had to sign a
form releasing them of any guilt if I died of same in the immediate future).
They determined that if they did not remove my gall bladder on this occasion, I
would only come back to haunt them if it decided to erupt again. They apparently
said 'Oh well, the old girl's out like a light. Let's just hoe in and get the
surgery done!'

So they did.

The first thing that happened was the effect of my - ah - magnificent
proportions. They couldn't *find* my gall bladder because it was swathed in a
coating of delightfully ubiquitous *fat*! They poked about with their little
miner's lamp jobbie (thanks to Sir Humphrey Davy) and took ages just to find my
dainty, inoffensive leetle gall bladder lurking behind my dear old liver.

'Aha!' they said, 'Hoick it out quick before it disappears again!'

They yanked upon it and nothing happened. They yanked a bit more. Apparently a
bit of my liver dropped off at that point because the charming little gall
bladder was irrevocably *stuck* to it! They yanked and heaved and pulled and
hoicked and eventually the gall bladder came free. But not until they'd done a
great deal of damage to my abominable muscles and left them bruised and sore!
There was (I found out six weeks later) a 'bloody great split' between the -
whaddya call 'em? - erectus/eclectus/erectile/erector(?) muscles. The ones that
other people call 'my six-pack' and I call 'my keg'. Every time I tried to sit
up, I thought the world was going to explode out through my belly! It was *far*
more painful than the actual surgical site! And of course, since the surgical
team and the anaesthetist were *wetting* themselves that I might sue them,
having nearly passed away under their tender ministrations, they didn't think to
tell me why I had such awful pain happening! I grew very very depressed because
after six weeks I still couldn't function! Then, I had my follow-up visit and
the surgeon said 'Oh, you're doing very well considering the mess we made in
your abdomen!'

Once I knew why I was in so much pain, I felt positively euphoric and realised
that I may not, after all, be going to pass away just yet. It took about three
months before I could lie comfortably in bed again. In the first instance, I
stopped having the awful acid reflux that had dogged me for most of my life, but
it returned eventually as everything else did. The only ongoing reminder of my
exciting cholecystectomy (Ha! Another opportunity to say that word again!) is
that I can't eat much fatty stuff. If I do, I get a bit sick. Which is not, in
the final analysis, such a bad thing... considering...

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Best Home Base Work Reynard Beads 0 November 10th 04 01:53 AM
finally back home, good news and bad news Terbear Quilting 3 April 8th 04 02:37 PM
I'm Home!!! Debbi Quilting 1 April 8th 04 02:48 AM
I'm Home Coleen Quilting 16 January 9th 04 02:47 AM
She's Home!!! mkahogan Beads 4 August 7th 03 05:47 PM