What Machine For My 15 Year Old

Old December 20th 03, 04:52 AM
kyrustic

Thanks for the link. It gives a lot to look into. I'm getting my daughter
involved in the research.

--
Kentucky Rustic Barrels
http://www.KentuckyRustic.com
"Penny S" wrote in message
kyrustic found this in the back of the refrigerator:
Hi, I am new to the group and this question may have been asked
before so please bear with me.
I am looking for a sewing machine for my 15 year old daughter. I need
a reliable machine that she will be able to grow into. My budget is
around $200.00. Any Ideas? How about a used machine, and where could
I find one?

Thanks

D Moffett

--
What Machine Should I Buy FAQ:
www.cet.com/~pennys/faq/smfaq.htm

Old December 20th 03, 04:53 AM
kyrustic

We home school but I will contact the local school and see if she can take
the class.

--
Kentucky Rustic Barrels
http://www.KentuckyRustic.com
"dnmgiordano" wrote in message
I am not sure about your area, but where I live they teach home economics

in
high school, thats where I got my first experience with sewing, do they
offer that in her school?

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
How about investing in sewing lessons? Buy a decent used machine at a

local
store that will teach your daughter how to get the most out of it?

Diana

--

http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Xena" wrote ...
And before you let her drive it on her own, make sure she understands

not
pull the fabric through the machine. A lot of beginning sewers end up
scratching the plate and breaking a lot of needles because they are

fighting the
feed dogs. A scratched plate can snag or drag at the fabric.
Xena

Old December 26th 03, 08:23 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Oh:
Where we live, home-ec is required for all students - as are the shop
courses. All students in Grade 8 (first year of high school) are required
to take the "Practical Skills" course which encompasses woodwork, metalwork,
typing (keyboarding), cooking and sewing. I'm glad to see it as when I went
to school the girls had to take the one and the boys the other....
Cynthia
(We actually have a white Christmas tonight!)

"Mike Behrent" wrote in message
One of my sons took Home Ec in high school. He even won the schools chili
cooking contest. Of course, his primary reason for taking the class was he
was the only boy in a room full of girls G. It did him alot of good

though
and it should be a required course for everybody. Sooner or later

everybody
is faced with making their own meals, housekeeping and the rest of the
domestic chores. My wife and I made sure all 4 of our sons were familiar
with the essential everyday skills.
Mike in Wisconsin

Old December 29th 03, 01:01 PM
Gtwy4cb

Probably could, but learning the skills isn't the motivation for the guys.
It's hanging around the girls

The guy better hope his wife can sew on a button!
Old December 30th 03, 07:27 AM
Edgar S.

"kyrustic" wrote in message ...
We home school but I will contact the local school and see if she can take
the class.

For the machine, I recommend a solid portable old Singer, or Pfaff.
Strait stitch, or zig zag. They're both relatively easy to find. Test
the machine before u buy.

If u choose a strait stitch, get a button attachment.

The class at highschool wastes a lot of time, and doesn't teach that
much. Another thing u could do is arrange for her to take some lessons
from an experienced seamstress.

I sew, but mostly straight lines! Knowing how to do some basic
tailoring would go a LONG way. They won't teach that in school. Anyone
can teach her the basics.

Bernina 1030 question Mindy Huffman Quilting 7 July 6th 04 09:26 PM
RCTQ FAQs *where did the month go?* Diana Curtis Quilting 20 May 3rd 04 04:09 AM
FAQs for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 17 April 2nd 04 07:59 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Marketplace 0 December 14th 03 05:52 PM
Sewingtrader Ebay auctions - Machine Embroidery and Machine Knititng items. DS Sewing 3 July 25th 03 05:17 PM