Helloooooooo! Anyone there?

Old March 23rd 12, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ndjoan

Default Helloooooooo! Anyone there?

On 3/23/2012 8:04 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

yes I'm here. Just busy - stitching, reading, working, house stuff and
of course hockey and lacrosse

Speaking of hockey, I *had* to brag!

The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux won the WCHA "Final Five"
tournament in Minneapolis last weekend.

In the first game they came from a 3-0 score at the end of the first
period to win 6-3!

The 2nd game they won 4-0!

They will now be in the "Frozen Four" tourney next month!
YYYYAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

Goooooo SIIOOUUX!!!!!

This will probably be the last year I'll be able to say that, since the
NCAA stuck their snotty, snooty PC noses into our business.

--
Joan

See my needlework he
http://community.webshots.com/user/ndjoan

Unknown

Old March 23rd 12, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ndjoan

On 3/23/2012 2:34 PM, wrote:

This will probably be the last year I'll be able to say that, since the
NCAA stuck their snotty, snooty PC noses into our business.

What's up ? The Sioux part ?

Yes. NCAA says any Native American names are "hostile and abusive",
although I'm hard-pressed, having lived here and worked on campus for
over 30 years, to have seen any of that!

I think the Florida Seminoles are the only team to keep their name
because they have the "blessing" of the tribe. The Sioux are split on 2
reservations and one res has given their permission but the other one
hasn't, thus the NCAA says we can't use it. This is a discussion that
has been going on for many, many years on campus but was really brought
to a head by the NCAA.

If you're truly interested, here are a couple links to newspaper
articles, which will only be available till the 29th:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...blisher_ID/40/

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...blisher_ID/40/

The biggest problem is that the tribal members can't even agree!

Old March 23rd 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ndjoan

On 3/23/2012 3:19 PM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Hurrah

Wow, don't get so excited, Cheryl! Not even a ! at the end?

Old March 24th 12, 12:56 AM posted to alt.beenz,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/22/12 1:22 PM, in article
, "Joan"
wrote:

Where has everyone gone? I have finally gotten set up with Eternal
September and now no one is posting?????

I'm having stitchy (and related) news withdrawal symptoms!!!!!

Joan (sending this through Google Groups to make sure my E/S
connection is working....)

I'm so sorry - I share kind of your withdrawal.

I have no life. OK - I have a life...it's confused. I miss you guys....so
to speak.

I sent a request to the paralegal at SERVINT - per the info from Sheena -
and I was very, very polite and professional. She very politely essentially
blew me off & told me to send them copies of my posts that had been posted.
Life is too short. However - I did notice that SewGirls have now put up a
header stating that our discussion is lifted from RCTN - so at this point at
least that's something.

Part of me is starting to think that perhaps we should consider having our
more "personal" chat stuff be under a non-photo adjunct to the already
existing RCTNP - since we have that sort of closed group. Not that I want
to make Sheena work, but..... Just sayin'

OK - on to excuses for not posting - I'll put that in an OT thread.

Stitch wise: I'm going to upload a couple of photos in a few minutes of
some little stuff.

I taught a cute canvas thing from ANG mag - a shamrock ornie with blackwork
- for my guild chapter last week. Of course I did an alternate colorway
because I would've had to drive like a 90 mi rt to get the silk called for
instead of 50 mi, and I thought the original colorway, all in dark greens,
was a little lifeless. I'm really happy with this. I'm actually almost
finished - put will post the almost done photo and then the finish in a
couple of days. Thinking of making into a "pot of gold" with the ornie as
the top, so to speak.

Also, unbelievably made something into the post - on time - for a SAL -
being done for someone who's been ill & people are doing something that is
being sewn into a book of them. I can't say more as the person it's for
sometimes is on this group -if you're interested to know - send me a note
directly. But, I will put a photo up on RCTNP. I actully finished the
thing really quickly - the bulk of it, and then it took me about 2 weeks to
finally sit down and fill in the areas that I thought needed a little bit of
something to get some balance - like literally maybe it took 45 min to do
some running backstitch vines/leaves! We all did the same outer shape,
filled with an original design.

Finally, past weekend was a guild workshop - we brought in Beth Robertson &
Suzanne Howren "SHEAR Designs" - to do "Effective Embellishments" - which
was basically doing kind of a starting point for a stitch guide for a
painted canvas - each person had their own. We gave them color copies -
full size - they gave us some thread suggestions, and at class then 6 stitch
ideas & 6 areas to play with. It was opening up some creativity - and
treating the canvases like an outline with the threads as the painting tools
- very good class. There is another 2 day session in April. Great fun -
they also periodically would announce "teachable" moments. DH is quite
thrilled because I am finally working on the rather large bell pull that I
bought for him at market 10 years ago. Started on the parrot in the middle
- will then move to the Sun Conure on the bottom - the parakeet is the top
bird and outside the area the class covers - but that's okay. The teachers
were great about it - the piece is limited in size to 196 sq in - so I
marked off to essentially do slightly more than 2/3, There are also
leaves/branches/vines & some flowers. Very nicely, I had some awesome JL
Walsh silk, which is no longer made, and between myself, and their stash -
we had enough - as none of us can use it for a teaching piece. So very kind
of them to give it to me - like 5 skeins (3 colors). But, I'll be
recompensing with some refreshment when we're all at seminar in August.

So, I've been doing some stitching - albeit slowly.

Well, that's the deal here - today DH was off work for some DC kind of
reasons involving it being better to avoid where he works. So we took
advantage of the fabulous weather, and after taking our digi=projector to
loan to the EGA chapter president, then hit the road west, to a vineyard we
like - and went wine tasting (using a great coupon from a site sponsored by
the local Fine Dining group or somesuch). It was a bargain - expires on the
31 - so we thought to beat the crowd - they're open on Friday. Beautiful
out in the hills - had tasting of 4 reds, 3 whits, cheese/cracker plate & 2
glasses of wine, plus $20 towards a bottle of wine. So, we left with 3
bottles of wine - and this is the vineyard that sells at our farmers mkt -
so the manager actually gave us the employee discount - it was quite a
bargain day - considering I think our coupon only cost $30. And they had
just started selling a new vintage of one of the reds... Then on the scenic
route home - windows open, saw lots of horses all out and about - we stopped
at the very good pizza place owned by/adjacent to our favorite restaurant in
Leesburg and had a little pizza & salad - pizza with mushrooms,sausage,
caramelized onions/garlic, feta cheese & white truffle oil. Yum. Then
home. Very good day.

With any luck the CAPS will win a game tonight. Or not.

Ellice

Old March 24th 12, 11:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/23/12 6:42 PM, ndjoan wrote:
On 3/23/2012 3:19 PM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Hurrah

Wow, don't get so excited, Cheryl! Not even a ! at the end?

Every advance is a big deal

Cheryl
Old March 24th 12, 12:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/23/12 6:41 PM, ndjoan wrote:
On 3/23/2012 2:34 PM, wrote:

[...]

the NCAA needs to get it's head out of it's ass

And there have been rumblings (not from the NCAA) over the names of
several local HS's team names - Lancers, Knights, as being "violent or
supportive of violence"

Cheryl
Old March 24th 12, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/23/12 1:25 PM, in article , "ndjoan"
wrote:

On 3/23/2012 8:04 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

yes I'm here. Just busy - stitching, reading, working, house stuff and
of course hockey and lacrosse

Speaking of hockey, I *had* to brag!

The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux won the WCHA "Final Five"
tournament in Minneapolis last weekend.

In the first game they came from a 3-0 score at the end of the first
period to win 6-3!

The 2nd game they won 4-0!

They will now be in the "Frozen Four" tourney next month!
YYYYAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

Goooooo SIIOOUUX!!!!!

This will probably be the last year I'll be able to say that, since the
NCAA stuck their snotty, snooty PC noses into our business.

LOL- Well no doubt they'll get far along in the future as well. So, we'll
do some bragging, too. Also - what's with the NCAA Hockey logo - they have
nubs for feet - lobbed off with no skates - I'm thinking of writing a
letter!

While the CAPS are doing some historic DH's alma mater - Big Red - Cornell -
took out Michigan last night in a great game. Unbelievable & weird
officiating - there were more than 2 times as many penalty minutes against
Cornell as Michigan, including a 5 on 3, during a 5 min major. So, we
actually were supposed to be watching the CAPS vs Winnipeg game, but were
switching a lot. Eventually just went to the Cornell game - especially
after the final choking of the CAPS in the OT. Seemed the college game was
about the same speed by then - they're not really IRL - but seemed so.

We're happy to see that - so DH will be parading around the house wearing
his little tuque - when he was the back-up goalie at Big Red - they didn't
have to wear their helmets on the bench, so that is what he wore.
Consequently, he cherishes that 30 year old knit cap. It is very carefully
washed - and he wears it when there are tourneys here that he's officiating
at in some capacity - like when we worked off-ice official stuff at the
frozen four last year, or at Midget Nationals and at the Women's Juniors
this year.

Go BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!

Ellice

Old March 24th 12, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in Calif

Yes, I'm still here. Just trying to do too much in too little time.

After 31.5 years, my microwave finally needs to be replaced. I'm going
to write GE a love letter on how well their stuff is built, and see if
they would like it back to put in their museum. It actually still runs,
but some years ago, someone who shall remain nameless spilled quite a
bit of water and didn't wipe it up. By the time I discovered it, the
paint had already bubbled and rust was starting to form. When I turned
it on the other night, the rust spot was glowing orange like it was
about to catch fire, so as a safety matter, I ordered a new one.

COPYRIGHT 2012 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEW GIRLS, IT HAS
BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION WHICH
CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 3/18/12 -- Monogram by Rita Weiss

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
(also on Facebook)
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Old March 24th 12, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/23/12 6:41 PM, in article , "ndjoan"
wrote:

On 3/23/2012 2:34 PM, wrote:

This will probably be the last year I'll be able to say that, since the
NCAA stuck their snotty, snooty PC noses into our business.

What's up ? The Sioux part ?

Yes. NCAA says any Native American names are "hostile and abusive",
although I'm hard-pressed, having lived here and worked on campus for
over 30 years, to have seen any of that!

I think the Florida Seminoles are the only team to keep their name
because they have the "blessing" of the tribe. The Sioux are split on 2
reservations and one res has given their permission but the other one
hasn't, thus the NCAA says we can't use it. This is a discussion that
has been going on for many, many years on campus but was really brought
to a head by the NCAA.

I know nothing about the situation with the Sioux nations. In Florida, the
Seminoles and FSU have a pretty respectful situation, in that the athletes
have worn jackets made for them by the Seminole tribe for many years - thus
providing $$$ way before anyone thought to do the right thing. I'm glad
that doing the right thing became so. But, also the Seminole regalia is
attached to honor society stuff, etc - so and historically monies in some
small part at least for the clothing, went to the tribes so I suspect that
helped.

Who knows how the truly offensive Redskins in the NFL has managed to stay as
a name - that really is much the worst - imagine a team name for the
pejorative color a group's skin. Really.

Ellice

If you're truly interested, here are a couple links to newspaper
articles, which will only be available till the 29th:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...blisher_ID/40/

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...blisher_ID/40/

The biggest problem is that the tribal members can't even agree!

No doubt that's it.

Ellice