question about a vogue pattern (v7832)

Old January 3rd 04, 09:14 PM
azalea

Default question about a vogue pattern (v7832)

I was going through some patterns and really like skirt "B", the one
with the godets. I was just wondering if I'd be able to substitute the
wool or linen (the recommended fabrics) for corduroy (sp?). I received
some cord for Christmas; it's pretty light weight for cord, but
definitely not as thin as a linen or a wool. Do you think it'd be
worth it to risk? Has anyone made this pattern (or something
similar)...did lighter weight fabrics work best?

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...& UK=31605874

Thanks so much
Old January 4th 04, 02:19 AM
Kate Dicey

azalea wrote:

I was going through some patterns and really like skirt "B", the one
with the godets. I was just wondering if I'd be able to substitute the
wool or linen (the recommended fabrics) for corduroy (sp?). I received
some cord for Christmas; it's pretty light weight for cord, but
definitely not as thin as a linen or a wool. Do you think it'd be
worth it to risk? Has anyone made this pattern (or something
similar)...did lighter weight fabrics work best?

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...& UK=31605874

Thanks so much

If you have a skirt weight cord, it might be OK. Trouser weight will be
too stiff, and the godets will stick out like they were made of
cardboard! Guess how I know... Yes, a customer who thought she knew
better than the dressmaker!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 4th 04, 02:22 AM
Olwynmary

I was going through some patterns and really like skirt "B", the one with the
godets. I was just wondering if I'd be able to substitute the wool or linen
(the recommended fabrics) for corduroy (sp?). I received some cord for
Christmas; it's pretty light weight for cord, but definitely not as thin as a
linen or a wool. Do you think it'd be worth it to risk? Has anyone made this
pattern (or something
similar)...did lighter weight fabrics work best?

Bluntly, I think it would be a disaster!! There's a reason why they recommend
certain fabrics on pattern envelopes! It is almost always best to stick to
something with a similar weight and hand to that which the pattern manufaturers
recommend.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old January 4th 04, 03:33 PM
mamahays

"azalea" wrote in message
om...
I was going through some patterns and really like skirt "B", the one
with the godets. I was just wondering if I'd be able to substitute the
wool or linen (the recommended fabrics) for corduroy (sp?). I received
some cord for Christmas; it's pretty light weight for cord, but
definitely not as thin as a linen or a wool. Do you think it'd be
worth it to risk? Has anyone made this pattern (or something
similar)...did lighter weight fabrics work best?

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...& UK=31605874

Thanks so much

I have a skirt pattern really close to view A of this pattern. (I know you
want to do B, but I mention this because the same weight fabrics are
suggested for all the skirts in this pattern.) What I found out with this
style of skirt is the lighter the better. The pattern I have is this one:

http://www.loeshinse.com/pages/swing.html

She suggests really lightweight fabrics. I did the skirt out of a really
light (but not see through) poly crepe. Worked great. I then did it out
of a light wool jersey. Worked OK. I still have to redo the hem on that
one. I was not pleased with the hem on the flounce, but that's easy to fix.
That was a good weight fabric for that skirt.

Then I thought I was Miss Smarty Pants and knew that pattern backwards and
forwards. lol So I whipped out a light/medium weight linen thought that
would look **so** crisp and cool for fall. Oh my no. Linen is too Crisp
for this kind of skirt. It needs to be something soft and have a good bit
of drape. Otherwise that flounce (or your godets) looks like something from
a 1950's horror movie about the Earth being invaded by alien women from
outer space. The flounce on the linen skirt sticks straight out, almost
like a starched tu-tu. It's sad, but true.

So, there's a long answer to your question. I would stay away from the cord
on this one. I just don't think it would do very well, and I'd hate for you
to be disappointed with a garment made from Christmas gift fabric. Dig
deeper in your stash for something else. It's a great skirt pattern and I
know you would love it in another fabric.

Sharon
--
---
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and just annoys the

Old January 4th 04, 04:33 PM
Maraviclin

I don't know what kind of cord you have ( printed, plain, weight ) but what
about using the cord for the body of the skirt and getting something
coordinating or contrasting for the godets? I have done something similar
years ago and it turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself.

Linda

"mamahays" wrote in message
"azalea" wrote in message
om...
I was going through some patterns and really like skirt "B", the one
with the godets. I was just wondering if I'd be able to substitute the
wool or linen (the recommended fabrics) for corduroy (sp?). I received
some cord for Christmas; it's pretty light weight for cord, but
definitely not as thin as a linen or a wool. Do you think it'd be
worth it to risk? Has anyone made this pattern (or something
similar)...did lighter weight fabrics work best?

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...item.200007832
=x&TI=20018&pageNum=1&M=&UK=31605874

Old January 4th 04, 09:57 PM
azalea

"mamahays" wrote in message news:0nWJb.56417Otherwise that flounce (or your godets) looks like something from
a 1950's horror movie about the Earth being invaded by alien women from
outer space.

hee hee! This made me literally "laugh out loud"!

I guess I'll have to put V7832 on the backburner for now...at least
until I buy a lighter weight fabric.

I still havent found a pattern that recommends cord as a possible
fabric of choice. I found this one:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...&UK=31 605874
(skirt A) which suggests using a light weight denim, so I suppose I
could substitute the corduroy for denim. Do you guys think that could
work?
Old January 4th 04, 10:12 PM
SewStorm

(skirt A) which suggests using a light weight denim, so I suppose I
could substitute the corduroy for denim. Do you guys think that could
work?

Yep.
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 4th 04, 10:30 PM
arlene

azalea wrote:
"mamahays" wrote in message news:0nWJb.56417Otherwise that flounce (or your godets) looks like something from

a 1950's horror movie about the Earth being invaded by alien women from
outer space.

hee hee! This made me literally "laugh out loud"!

I guess I'll have to put V7832 on the backburner for now...at least
until I buy a lighter weight fabric.

I still havent found a pattern that recommends cord as a possible
fabric of choice. I found this one:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...&UK=31 605874
(skirt A) which suggests using a light weight denim, so I suppose I
could substitute the corduroy for denim. Do you guys think that could
work?

Only with view A.

Arlene

Old January 5th 04, 12:49 PM
Kate Dicey

azalea wrote:

"mamahays" wrote in message news:0nWJb.56417Otherwise that flounce (or your godets) looks like something from
a 1950's horror movie about the Earth being invaded by alien women from
outer space.

hee hee! This made me literally "laugh out loud"!

I guess I'll have to put V7832 on the backburner for now...at least
until I buy a lighter weight fabric.

I still havent found a pattern that recommends cord as a possible
fabric of choice. I found this one:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...&UK=31 605874
(skirt A) which suggests using a light weight denim, so I suppose I
could substitute the corduroy for denim. Do you guys think that could
work?

That should work just fine.

A How to question Mika Quilting 11 June 21st 04 07:19 PM
Back with a question AliceW Quilting 18 May 6th 04 10:51 PM
New FREE downloadable PMP 4 crossstitch pattern "Country Kitchen" available :O))) Misty Needlework 0 March 14th 04 12:54 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - art nouveau window to spring ! Misty Needlework 1 February 3rd 04 12:52 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - Sweet valentine :OD ! Misty Needlework 0 January 30th 04 08:36 PM