OT [very] My Hometown is on Fire

Old July 4th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default OT [very] My Hometown is on Fire

My friend had actually moved a bunch of things two weeks ago down to a
house where he used to live, as a precaution. Besides that then, he
got the two carloads. I am going to try to call him a little later.

The area is very prone to "sundowners" where the wind comes up at the
sunset hours, sweeping down the mountains out to the ocean's cooler
air. As of this afternoon further evacuations are in place, and the
air is worse. There are lots of air craft updoing retardant and water
drops.

As a child I was fascinated to watch the dance of flames in the
fireplace, especially at the holiday time when we burned wrapping
paper. As an adult I was involved in a barn fire while training
racehorses. Fire can be so destructive to life and property, while so
life-giving to the seeds that require the fire's heat to germinate.

Ginger in CA

On Jul 4, 9:28*am, Taria wrote:
Hopefully weather will cooperate and they can keep loss to a minimum.
I am so sorry.
Before the fires hit in '03 so bad I know lots of folks in the San
Bernardino mountain communities had storage units 'down the hill'
where they stored possessions during fire season to keep it safe.
Kind of an awful way to live.
Hugs, Taria

Ginger in CA wrote:
A couple of days ago someone started a fire on the hills, possibly
illegal fireworks, just near the gun club my dad built, and where I
learned so much about life and myself [besides learning to be a crack
shot]. The fire is now over 5000 acres and is heading into Goleta, a
town near Santa Barbara [central coast Calif]. There has been
structure loss and massive mandatory evacuations. Eighteen years ago
there was a fire that marched from the top of the mountain down to the
ocean in less than 3 hours, destroying most everything in its path,

The Gap Fire, as it is called, started in windy Gap area of the hills.
It is considered the #1 priority fire in state of Calif right now as I
type. That is saying something, seeing how many fires are going right
now.

How am I affected, 40 miles away? The smoke in the air here is
unhealthy, the uncertainty of who of my friends will be evacuated
next. My friend was evacuated last night. He got two carloads out and
wanted to go back in but cannot.

On this day of celebration please hug your loved ones, and be careful
with fireworks and celebrations.

Ginger in CA- Hide quoted text -

Old July 5th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I know how to pray but haven't ever tried 'rainy thoughts'. No matter.
I'll join you. Prayers and rainy thoughts it is. Polly

"Carolyn McCarty" wrote in message
m...
Prayers and rainy thoughts on the way! Parts of AZ are starting to burn,
too. I always dread the fire season. Can't imagine how much worse it is
in California!

Old July 5th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

perhaps if you put your dance'n shoes on and have at it, Ms
P.
usually brings rain, i hear.
some damn fool down our way needs to take a rest from all
that dance'n.
geez, louise, its soggy on top of soggy here and today i'm
freeze'n my patootie off too.
wish i could send you a heap of 'wet' up to Calif to douse
those flames, clear the smoke
and cool off the whole place
i'll do my best to make it work.
maybe we need some kind of quilting weather exchange
program, hmmm.
that would be perfect about now, eh.
take care of you and yours, Ginger, Carolyn, Pati and all
RCTQ'rs
in Calif, AZ and wherever else there is smoke and flames
irritating the lungs.
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote...

Old July 5th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default Fri evening update [was OT [very] My Hometown is on Fire]

Now over 6000 acres.

They brought in a DC-10 today, flying in every 1.5 hrs from Lancaster
[where there is a former military base with a big runway]. It lays
down a mile long swath of retardant with each flyover. They are
reporting it did a good job.

Over 1000 firefighters on the line now, another 1000 due tomorrow.

Gap Fire as it is called is now threatening to jump over H154, which
is the area that all burned 18 years ago.

Cost is $2million right now.

Human caused, origin site cordoned off near Winchester Canyon Gun Club
[the one my dad built in 1962].

Sundowner winds are starting now, up to 20 MPH.

Ginger in CA

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. *--Red Green
If it ain't broke, it ain't mine. *--Carolyn McCarty

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. *--Red Green
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer. *--Carolyn McCarty

"Ginger in CA" wrote in ...

Old July 5th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

Continued prayers for all.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old July 5th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That seems to be the big one here. It sounds like they are getting a
handle on the Yucaipa fire. Not sure about the new one in Malibu.

That tanker (unless it has been moved but it had a 3 yr contract in '07)
is out of Victorville (my town) The closed George Air Force base is
now SO. Cal. Logistical Airport (SCLA) Victorville is good for little
but a potty stop between Vegas and L.A. so we gotta take what little
good we have and brag.
That plane is really awesome. I thought I heard there had been 1
firefighter that has been lost but can't find any real info about it.
I sure hope the fireworks tonight don't cause any more problems.
Hugs to you all Ginger,
Taria

Old July 5th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

been watching lots on CNN here about the fires in Calif.
it scares the heck outta me.
had a fire start under our house early one saturday morning
when i was a kid.
no one else was up 'cept me watching cartoons.
the neighbour spotted the smoke coming out from under the
chimney and ran over with his garden hose to tackle it til
the fire dept got there (he'd called them first).
turned out when they'd built the chimney (we had it added to
the house, didnt come with one) they'd forgotten to put in a
solid concrete slab between the ashbox and the underhouse,
stupid or what? omg.
eventually the ashes heated up enough that it set the house
to smouldering. that was really scary.
as a result of that i'm really paranoid about anything that
might start a fire in the wrong place.

seems to me its asking for more trouble when no one in
authority has the good sense to cancel all fireworks
displays and/or sale in areas where there is a high fire
risk.
is the 4th of July really all that important that it is
worth the risk of setting more fires in those areas?
flabberghasted and gobsmacked,
j.

"Taria" wrote...

Old July 5th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

My sister was up in Prescott this weekend, making a start on cleaning a
cabin she just bought. She meant to stay till Sunday afternoon but came
home today because the fire that caused Crown King to be evacuated was
heading for the highway and she was afraid she would be cut off from the
fastest way home.

Here in Tucson we had a good monsoon shower just an hour ago, and I hope it
dampened things down all over AZ. Especially for those folks who had to
evacuate their homes and the ones who, like Pati, are suffering from the
smoke.

How come those monsoon rains don't hit the California coast when the folks
there need them most? Or are they peculiar to the SW desert areas? Just
curious, in case anyone here knows the answer.

--
[...]

"Ginger in CA" wrote in

Old July 5th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I am in the high desert, just on the edge. 12 or 15 miles maybe from
the top of the pass. We get the afternoon build up of clouds sometimes,
usually in the end of August. It happens and we might get rain a few
times a season. The coastal weather has no relation to what goes on
here except the santana winds, usually in the fall.

I think they are having fog over near the coast but it burns off pretty
early when they do have it. Lots of different micro
climates here. We get something like 8" of rain a year and in one odd
spot at the bottom of the pass they can actually get 40".

The bark beetles have been such a problem in the mountains on both sides
of the pass here. They kill the trees and then the trees burn like
torches. The politicians go round and around about culling them out
but it is pretty overwhelming. People are scattered absolutely
everywhere here so it doesn't take long for life and property to be at
risk even in places that seem uninhabitable.
Taria

Old July 5th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

The firefighter I heard about was up in the Big Sur fire, didn't
happen on the line. He was a volunteer. The other one was the young
man in Orange county who had come home the day before from fighting
fires in northern Calif; he had a brain aneurysm.

Fireworks were cancelled in Santa Barbara [right next to Goleta where
the fire is], then at 6:30 they cancelled the fireworks in the Santa
Ynez Valley [over the mountain from the Goleta fire] due to not enough
resources. Unfortunately right now there are a bunch of people setting
off illegal fireworks all around me. There are a lot of very tall palm
trees in this area, which are like popsicles if they catch on fire.
Gosh what a bunch of idiots. There are not enough law enforcement to
cover.

My friend is still evacuated. He is staying with a buddy. So far he
thinks his house is okay.

Ginger in CA

FIRE!! Christina Peterson Beads 9 June 30th 08 07:16 AM
OT Way OT - Fire in the sky Cats Quilting 22 July 22nd 06 03:35 PM
My Visit to the Hometown of Silk Embroidery Silkembroideryman Needlework 1 June 22nd 05 03:32 PM
OT - Fire Beadbimbo Beads 23 August 15th 04 12:52 AM
Fire Eddie Daughton Pottery 0 July 3rd 03 10:14 PM