Corduroy Quilt?

Old November 7th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default Corduroy Quilt?

I've got a lot of corduroy in pinks and blues. It's nice soft stuff
that will probably be even softer after washing. Can I use it to make
a quilt top? Will I need to use big seam allowances?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 7th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Debra, I've never used corduroy, but you only have to look at the
famours Gee's Bend quilters to see some examples of stunning corduroy
quilts. They were using it because it was available and warm. I think
it's a great and overlooked modern quilting material. I hae some
corduroy put away that I intend to use "someday" to make a warm quilt
for use in our Northwest winters.

I'd love to see the quilt when you get the top finished. I doubt you'll
want or need batting and you probably will end up tying as opposed to
quilting. But I think it will be well worth the exploring.

Sunny

Old November 7th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ms_peacock

Corduroy looks great mixed with brushed cottons and denim. I've also seen
it used in a regular cotton quilt.

Ms P

Old November 7th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:09:07 -0600, "ms_peacock"
wrote:

Corduroy looks great mixed with brushed cottons and denim. I've also seen
it used in a regular cotton quilt.

Ms P

I've seen it used in crazy quilt squares, but didn't know how it would
do on it's own.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 7th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On 6 Nov 2006 20:24:20 -0800, "Sunny" wrote:

Debra, I've never used corduroy, but you only have to look at the
famours Gee's Bend quilters to see some examples of stunning corduroy
quilts. They were using it because it was available and warm. I think
it's a great and overlooked modern quilting material. I hae some
corduroy put away that I intend to use "someday" to make a warm quilt
for use in our Northwest winters.

I'd love to see the quilt when you get the top finished. I doubt you'll
want or need batting and you probably will end up tying as opposed to
quilting. But I think it will be well worth the exploring.

Sunny

I doubt I'll ever tie a quilt. I don't like the look of the strings
flopping around on the top, or the feel of the knots. Machine tacking
might be the way to go though. Or maybe just machine quilt in
straight lines. I might have enough corduroy to make it cord on both
sides, or I might just put muslin on the back if I think it would get
too heavy.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 7th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pam in Spencerport

I once saw one that was all one color using approx 8" squares and
alternating the direction of the cords. It was beautiful. I'd give it a
go. Not sure about the seam allowance. Why not sew a few scraps
together and see how they behave?

Pam in Spencerport

Old November 7th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Of course you can use it. Beware though, it's very heavy! And you might
prefer to make a tied comforter rather than quilt it. Won't need batting.
As for seam allowances, try some of the edges. If they are very ravelly,
then yes.
Roberta in D

Old November 7th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I have tied a couple of quilts, Debra; but I kept the long parts of the
knots at the back! I don't like the look of them, so I kept them out of
sight. I used a toning colour embroidery thread - all six strands
together. It is fine. The knots are quite invisible, unless you really
look for them.
..
In message , Debra
writes
I doubt I'll ever tie a quilt. I don't like the look of the strings
flopping around on the top, or the feel of the knots. Machine tacking
might be the way to go though. Or maybe just machine quilt in
straight lines. I might have enough corduroy to make it cord on both
sides, or I might just put muslin on the back if I think it would get
too heavy.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 7th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter quilter

Debra wrote:
I've got a lot of corduroy in pinks and blues. It's nice soft stuff
that will probably be even softer after washing. Can I use it to make
a quilt top? Will I need to use big seam allowances?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

HAVE to respond to this.....I received a huge box of corduroy scraps
when I first started quilting. the quilt was chaotic and goofy and was
supposed to be ALL MINE!!! I also discovered a flat sheet that had no
mate. I stitched the corduroy together in whatever pattern I felt like
at the time, and didn't bother with any batting. That quilt became the
most beloved and well-used quilt (can it be a quilt if it has no
batting?/) that has ever been in the house. I made it in 2000 and it is
currently awaiting repairs to the many rips and tears that have
developed....not because of poor construction but because for 6 years it
has been used by EVERY member of the family (QIs included) for naps, to
make tents, to curl up on/under.

It is scrummy warm and I like it better than the fleece ones that my
children have.

Larisa
Old November 7th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ms_peacock

"Debra" wrote in message
[...]

You know, it might be perfect for a raggy style quilt. The seams are nice
and wide on them and they don't have to be tied either.

Ms P