OT Way OT - Fire in the sky

Old July 15th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default OT Way OT - Fire in the sky

I am trying to catch up on all my emails (a losing battle -
LOL) and came across this. It's a few weeks old but . . . .
.. spectacular. Did anyone see this? When did it really
happen?

http://tinyurl.com/rvawy

This blanket of fire, covering hundreds of square miles, is
the rarest phenomenon of them all. It was spotted in the
US on the Washington-Idaho border around midday last
Saturday.

Dr Jonathan Fox, of the US National Weather Service in
Spokane, Washington, said:

'It was even more spectacular than the Northern Lights. I
feel lucky to have seen it because it only forms in very
rare situations. This is the first one I've ever seen. It
was a breathtaking sight and it hung around for about an
hour.'

To create a rainbow of fire, clouds must be at least 20,000
ft high and the ice crystal s within them align
horizontally instead of their usual vertical po! sition.
The sun also needs to be at least 58 degrees above the
horizon. Then, the magic can begin.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

Old July 15th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

I didn't see that but I have seen a similar phenomenon.......... In fact the
picture I got was of a rainbow contrail. In the PNW (Pacific North West) of
the US, it's and indication of a storm coming. The rainbow effect is from
ice crystals in the atmosphere.

--
Mary

Old July 15th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

Here is a link to the picture I took tho not as spectacular
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53386571haDXpa

--
Mary

Old July 15th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Don't you just wish you could depict that in a quilt?

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53386571haDXpa
:
: --
: Mary
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
: "maryd" mardor@*net wrote in message
: ...
: I didn't see that but I have seen a similar
phenomenon.......... In fact
: the picture I got was of a rainbow contrail. In the PNW
(Pacific North
: West) of the US, it's and indication of a storm coming.
The rainbow effect
: is from ice crystals in the atmosphere.
:
: --
: Mary
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
: "Cats" wrote in message
: ...
: I am trying to catch up on all my emails (a losing
battle -
: LOL) and came across this. It's a few weeks old but .
.. . .
: Spokane, Washington, said:
:
: 'It was even more spectacular than the Northern Lights.
: feel lucky to have seen it because it only forms in
very
: rare situations. This is the first one I've ever seen.
It
: was a breathtaking sight and it hung around for about
an
: hour.'
:
: To create a rainbow of fire, clouds must be at least
20,000
: ft high and the ice crystal s within them align
: horizontally instead of their usual vertical po!
sition.
: The sun also needs to be at least 58 degrees above the
: horizon. Then, the magic can begin.
:
: --
:
: Cheryl & the Cats
: _ _ _ _ _ _
: ( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
: ~ ~ ~
: http://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest

Old July 15th 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
René

So beautiful! I sent it along to my Fibro ng. We are really in need of
some pleasant posts there.

René

Old July 15th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

that was exactly what I was thinking... my mind is already plotting LOL

I managed to capture an unusual sunrise on one - it went from red to orange
to yellow to lime to pale blue all the way up to black - simply amazing!

the quilt is my entrance for the European Quilt Championships

--
Jessamy still WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!! -ing
In The Netherlands

Old July 15th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Cats" wrote:

I am trying to catch up on all my emails (a losing battle -
LOL) and came across this. It's a few weeks old but . . . .
. spectacular. Did anyone see this? When did it really
happen?

http://tinyurl.com/rvawy

Wow! What a cool quilt that would make! G (See? Not OT at all!)
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old July 15th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Cheryl - I live just "across the mountains" from where this took
place.... how spectacular that must have been to watch! Mother Nature
does some amazing things, doesn't she????

Patti in Seattle

Old July 15th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
A&T

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... I'd love to see a picture!!!

Tricia
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

Old July 15th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

We saw this phenonomen and it was beautiful. My DH and I were on a train
ride through the Payette River Canyon in Central Idaho that day. I took
lots of pictures. The actual name is "circumhorizon arc." For some really
neat pictures of this and lots of other sky "pictures' click on
http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/halo/chaim0.htm.

Donna in Idaho

--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to donnaten at gmail dot com

Spokane, Washington, said:

'It was even more spectacular than the Northern Lights. I
feel lucky to have seen it because it only forms in very
rare situations. This is the first one I've ever seen. It
was a breathtaking sight and it hung around for about an
hour.'

To create a rainbow of fire, clouds must be at least 20,000
ft high and the ice crystal s within them align
horizontally instead of their usual vertical po! sition.
The sun also needs to be at least 58 degrees above the
horizon. Then, the magic can begin.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
~ ~ ~
Enness Boofhead Donut
Now in hibernation with a wake-up call for Spring!
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

Bricks for fire surround Jack Ouzzi Pottery 2 January 2nd 06 04:01 PM
number of facets m4816k Jewelry 7 March 26th 05 09:59 PM
OT house fire maryd Quilting 8 December 13th 04 08:37 PM