Unquilting

Old August 11th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dogmom

Default Unquilting

That is a WONDERFUL quilt!

Dogmom

______________

Oh, goodness no, you are not the only one.

When I made my 'Oh my, stars!"quilt, http://tinyurl.com/2ca8hl, I found
that one of the 2" squares, which was a star 'point' was oriented
incorrectly. Had to unquilt and unstitch and re-do. Fortunately it was
before binding it.

Thank goodness no shears were nearby... LOL

-Irene in balmy CNY
-------------
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
- Mae West

Old August 11th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Have you learned how to unquilt using the rotary cutter? I use the foot of
the SM for an extra hand. Put the fabric under the foot, hold the other side
UP a bit and rest my right hand on the SM open the cutter and very slowly
and carefully rip away. works a treat for me and is so much easier than my
trying to hold a seam ripper. I do open the first good inch by hand so the
SM foot has something to hold onto.
I don't trust my hands enuf to hold it up in the air like E Burns does
(where I first saw it being done). It's faster and SAFER for me than even
just a seam ripper.
Just be sure you have NO DISTRACTIONS I make sure I'm home alone or let my
fellas know that I'm OFF LIMITS for abit. they also know NOT to talk to me
whilst I'm cutting.........I have a tendency to 'drop things' altho, as of
late, I'm not as bad as I use to be.
You CAN do it--just one stitch at a time--like when you sewed it in.

Another thing I learned was to STOP when you make a mistake...fix it and
then continue on.......and to check your work OFTEN to make sure you aren't
making one humongous one.

HTH
Butterfly (by now you should be finished with your rip-it session, right? )

"dogmom" wrote in message
That is a WONDERFUL quilt!

Dogmom

______________

Old August 11th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:36:06 -0500, Sunny wrote
(in article . com):

Ok, I may be the only one who has ever unquilted a vast expanse of a
quilt because of a discovered problem that just couldn't be fixed,
appliqued over, hidden by excessive beading.

But maybe I'm not the only one.

If you've ever unquilted something, I'd love to hear your story. I
promise, I'll never tell a soul.

Sunny

Ugghh! I still shudder when I remember all the unquilting I had to do on my
monster quilt. Take a deep breath, get a beverage, and prepare to spend some
quality time with your seam ripper. It will get done eventually.

Maureen

Old August 11th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:38:34 -0500, Mary wrote
(in article . com):

Several years ago I purchased a quilt made overseas, which I normally
never consider, but the colors and fabrics and overall pattern were
lovely. However, the quilting was simply horrendous! I put it away
in a closet, and last winter when I was between projects I pulled it
out of the closet and quilted it properly, keeping the original
quilting only as basting and pulling it out as I quilted. I also
replaced the binding, which was truly awful. Now -- I have a very
attractive extra quilt folded at the bottom of a bed in the smaller
guest room.

I have a quilt that I need to do the same thing to. One of these days I'll
get around to it. Too many projects, but not enough time.

Maureen

Old August 12th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Thanks for that info...I just saw that suggestion this past week and
wondered if I could use my wavy line stitch instead of straight line
on seams...Guess I'll forget it !!...Mary in VT

"Sunny" Woot! I'm feeling better and better! And by the way, there is a
book
(I can't remember which one or by what author) who recommends using
one of your "decorative" stitches for quilting in areas where you want
gentle curve lines. Just don't do it. A stitch that looks great over a
few inches or covering a seam line in a crazy quilt will look just
horrendus if you try to use it to make a "gentle c urve" line that
goes from t op to bottom of your quilt.

Hugs and sharper stitch rippers,
Sunny

Old August 12th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

I had a couple of Chinese-made quilts I'd bought to
dress up a room but never dared to wash them until I'd had
them for years. They were in a spare bedroom and just didn't
need it either but when I did...I washed in cool water...short , gentle wash
and line dried...and many seams fell apart !!..So be careful when
washing any of that type !!...Mary in VT

ups.com...

Old August 12th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I use a long serpentine/wavy stitch for a lot of my quilting. G I
generally do it as a grid, and it looks fine. No problems if the line
isn't exactly straight, because the stitching line is wavy. BG
Great for quick quilting of things like 9-patches and such, just aim for
the corners of the squares and go. For me it is a lot faster than
trying to keep a straight line straight.

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old August 12th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I had a couple of Chinese-made quilts I'd bought to
dress up a room but never dared to wash them until I'd had
them for years. They were in a spare bedroom and just didn't
need it either but when I did...I washed in cool water...short , gentle wash
and line dried...and many seams fell apart !!..So be careful when
washing any of that type !!...Mary in VT

I had some areas of seams to repair, and I quilted in the ditch, and
held my breath when I washed it, but it came out just fine, thank
goodness! I am absolutely certain it would have fallen to pieces had
I washed it before I did all that work, which was why I had stored it
in a plastic bag while waiting to do the work itself.

Old August 12th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

On Aug 11, 10:39 am, Ginger in CA wrote:
I have unquilted several times. And sometimes I have just kept the
quilting and made the piece a QI throw or a kick-around-drag-around
for picnics

We all have to un-quilt sometimes, big or small places. It's just one
of those things.

Sandy is sending chocolate, I can send Good N Plenty!

Ginger in CA
On Aug 10, 10:36 pm, Sunny wrote:

Chocolate??? Chocolate..... is good. I actually have finished this project with one hand on the SM and the other in a bowl of almond M&Ms. Yum. makes mistakes totally edible.

Sunny