Question for PC EQ6 users?

Old August 7th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

Default Question for PC EQ6 users?

In article . com,

Hi Connie, the file types for #5 & #6 are different and while #5 files
can be used by #6, the reverse is not possible. Alternatively - use
#5 for your needs??? Is it possible to use word program or pdf format
to accomplish what you want to do?? jennellh

Ugh. I don't think so ...but then, I'm not THAT familiar with EQ yet
(still waiting for it). What I want (and again, this probably shows how
UNfamiliar I am with it) is to upload project files to my web site and
give my subscribers the option to download and use those files
themselves - thinking that they could take Applique Pattern A and
modify it or use it in another quilt setting.

Does that make sense?? Like I said, I'm not familiar with what CAN be
done and what CAN'T. :/

Thank you, though, Jennellh!!

On Aug 6, 7:04 pm, Connie wrote:
In article . com,

jennellh wrote:
Hi Connie, as you say, this will not be your main machine so your
specs should be OK for EQing - memory upgrade is definitely something
to consider unless you use an external storage device for designs,
etc. once you have built up your libraries. cd-rom drive and sound
card are also required plus monitor resolution of 1068x??? or
greater. If you are planning to use a lot of photos in your designs,
that will use up a lot of available space on your computer but
otherwise, just keep a check on properties for the system to know if
it causing your laptop to slow down to much. jennellh (change the
mail to news)

Thank you, Jennelh!!

It's a decent little lappie - 15 inch screen (my eyes ain't what they
used to be!) and it does have 1024 x 768 screen res. I think my biggest
concern is the processing speed (1 GHz) and RAM it comes with. Although
I'll be upgrading the RAM (ASAP), I'd still like to be able to play
with it while it ships (I always buy my RAM online - so much cheaper!!)
... which would probably be about 4 or 5 days. :/ In the meantime, I'll
only be running EQ6, Outlook - and maybe Word. I'll scan with my Mac
and just pull things over the network and probably store the majority
of my files, there, too.

Can I also ask if you know if you can "back-save" EQ6 to be compatible
with EQ5? With my eZine, I'm planning on including downloadable links
for subscribers to download EQ project files for my patterns and I
don't want to leave EQ5 users out (but don't want to have to buy or run
EQ5).

Again, thank you so much, Jennelh!!

On Aug 6, 5:07 pm, Connie wrote:
Hi ya'll!

I was just wondering what systems ya'll have ... how powerful a
processor, amount of RAM, etc ... EQ's site doesn't give much info on
that sort of thing - only that you need XP to run it 700Mbs of hard
drive space.

I've got a Mac and VPC to so I *could* run it on my Mac if I REALLY
want to - but I don't. I think it'd be too hoggy on the resources ....

So I've bought a PC laptop (thinking that way, I can check my e-mail on
the road, or just out of my home office - be really nice to sit outside
and design!!!) ... it's used, since I'm not looking for it to be my
"main machine" - Gateway, WinXP, 1GHz, 20 GBs hard drive, 256 RAM
(though I'll update THAT for sure!).

Do ya'll think that'll be enough??? Or did I just make a big boo-boo
and go too skimpy on the specs (since I've already bought it!)???

crossing fingers
(Since I don't want to have mod it before I can use it with EQ6!!!)

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique
patterns!
Check it out! http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/----- It's BACK!!
AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out! http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL! - Hide quoted text -

Old August 7th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry Starr[_2_]

512 MBs will be fine. That is what I have on my desktop, but it is 5 years
old. When I get a new computer, I'm going to get 2 GBs. My husband has a
laptop, and he said he is definitely going to get 2 GBs.

Sherry Starr

"Connie" wrote in message
et...
In article , Sherry Starr
wrote:

You will definitely need more RAM. You have to have 950MB of available
hard-disk space, a CD-ROM drive, a monitor with a screen resolution of
1024x768 or greater, and a sound card for the demo videos.

Thanks, Sherry!!

I figured I'd have to upgrade the RAM ... do you think 512 MBs would be
enough?

It's coming with a 20-30 GB (can't remember, LOL) drive, and the only
apps on it will be EQ6 and Outlook (maybe the rest of Office) so I
think I should be good on HD space?

But I'm sure I'll upgrade the drive VERY soon - on my Mac the smallest
drive I have is 250GBs! Such a small drive will "drive" me nuts!!

Again, thank YOU!!

Sherry Starr

et...

Old August 7th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , Sherry Starr
wrote:

512 MBs will be fine.

Good. I had thought as much but wasn't sure. Since I've never used EQ
before, I had no idea how much resources it'd need!

For all I knew, nothing less than 1GB would have been reasonable!!

That is what I have on my desktop, but it is 5 years
old.

I have no idea how old this lappie is ... It's only 1 GHz so it can't
be too new. But I figure it's a Gateway and I've heard they're decent?

I'm guessing about .... 6 years old??

FWIW, though, usually, a desktop is better quality than a laptop -
meaning, you get more bang for your buck. What they don't have to spend
on a monitor (not to mention cramming all those parts into that tiny
box). When I bought my Mac desktop, I bought a G4 1.6 GHz machine - for
the same money, all I could have bought lappie-wise would have been a
300MHz iBook!

When I get a new computer, I'm going to get 2 GBs. My husband has a
laptop, and he said he is definitely going to get 2 GBs.

Oh, absolutely!! When you go to 2GBs from 512MBs you can TOTALLY feel
the difference. My Mac started out with 512 and the first thing I did
was upgrade it - it booted in 1/4 of the time afterwards!!!

Sherry Starr

"Connie" wrote in message
et...

Old August 7th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Connie, there is a process to export an image or metafile from eq6 to
your notepad and then into a computer file - whether this would work
for you, I don't know - I haven't had to export info. I'm still
taking photos of stash to import into the libraries but I am way
behind in this task, way way behind! You'll have lots of fun learning
all about your eq when it arrives - you won't know until you try the
export process whether this is going to work for you or not. jennellh

On Aug 6, 9:25 pm, Connie wrote:
In article . com,

Old August 7th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article om,
jennellh wrote:

Connie, there is a process to export an image or metafile from eq6 to
your notepad and then into a computer file - whether this would work
for you, I don't know - I haven't had to export info. I'm still
taking photos of stash to import into the libraries but I am way
behind in this task, way way behind! You'll have lots of fun learning
all about your eq when it arrives - you won't know until you try the
export process whether this is going to work for you or not. jennellh

Sigh
I figured as much ... I was really hoping that EQ would allow
back-saving. Almost all of the apps I use do, and I still can't wrap my
head around why EQ would be different in that respect.

But honestly, thank you VERY much, Jennellh!! You HAVE been a HUGE
help!! Once it gets here, I'm going to try what you've outlined ...
hopefully, there's a workaround!!

And BTW, hubby is out of country for the next week - which is a good
thing! Once EQ gets here, I KNOW I'll be so obsessed with it that he'll
get ZERO attention! Last thing I need is for hubby to know where he
stands when it comes to quilting (at least, any more than he knows now!
LOL!)!

Again, Jennellh, thank you SEW very much!!

On Aug 6, 9:25 pm, Connie wrote:
In article . com,

Old August 8th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Connie, I've missed most of this thread (don't get all
posts) so I hope I am not repeating what has already been
posted, but - did you know there is a group for rctq EQ
users? We have been REAL quiet lately, but any questions
usually get a quick answer, and there are a couple of real
wizards in the group who are very helpful. Tutu really
keeps us on our toes! lol

When you say you want to upload "project files" to your
site, do you mean EQ .prj files to be used by other EQ
users, or files that have quilting project details? EQ
refers to their file format "project" (.PJ5 for EQ5, and
..PJ6 for EQ6)

EQ will export images of your designs (quilts, blocks, or
sections of either - whatever you highlight) and you can
save them in any format you want. There are also other
features that help with writing design instruction, rotary
cutting plans, notes, etc. If I remember right (?) EQ6
allows you to export meta files that can be broken down (eg.
sections of a block to show assembly of piecing).

EQ6 info on exporting
____________________________________
For image files, there are a number of different file
formats. EQ6 will export the following file formats:
a.. bmp
This type of file displays an image using thousands of
small dots or pixels of light. In the case of EQ, the image
can be a block or a quilt. You can export them as drawings
or filled with color or fabric. Many software applications
can open a bitmap file and display the image just as it
looks in EQ6. When you place the file using another
application, it will be treated as a single unit.

b.. jpg
This type of file is commonly used for photos. Because it
will compress nicely to a very small file size, this format
is widely used over the Internet. We recommend the jpg
format, if you're unsure which file format to select.

c.. gif
This type of file is commonly used for images that are
line drawings or grayscale. It is not recommended for
photographs or images with lots of colors. It will compress
to a nice small file size.

d.. tiff
Almost every graphics application can read and write TIFF
files. Files can be large if no compression is selected. You
can choose to compress the tiff files using LZW compression
which is a compression scheme that will create a smaller
file size.

e.. png
This format was developed to be portable and for online
viewing. You'll want to make sure the application you plan
to use to import images will accept this format.

f.. Metafile
This type of file displays an image using lines, arcs,
rectangles, ovals, etc. Metafiles are actually a series of
drawing commands, not pixel data. Metafiles are resolution
independent, so they can be resized without loss of quality.
In EQ6, you can export a metafile for a block, but not a
quilt. The file created consists of the line drawing and
solid fill color if you've chosen to export both line and
fill. When you place the metafile in another application,
you can manipulate the block by pulling it apart one patch
at a time. Windows metafile format is understood effectively
by many graphic, illustration and word processing programs
although some applications may be happier manipulating the
image as a single unit than as individual patches.

I have EQ2,3,4,5 and 6. Didn't like EQ6 when it came out,
but Tutu says that the recent upgrade has made it better so
I am promising to go back and give it another try. But I
have so many applique designs in EQ5 I have little incentive
to make more in EQ6 right now lol. I usually put
designs I buy into EQ to allow me to resize, rearrange, test
layouts and colours, etc. It takes a little time to draw
them out, but the design options - once drawn out - are
worth it. It is so much fun to take designs and test them
out in different layouts with just the click of a key.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Connie" wrote in message
et...
: In article
. com,
: jennellh wrote:
:
: Hi Connie, the file types for #5 & #6 are different and
while #5 files
: can be used by #6, the reverse is not possible.
Alternatively - use
: #5 for your needs??? Is it possible to use word program
or pdf format
[...]
wrote:
: In article
. com,
:
: jennellh wrote:
[...]
wrote:
: Hi ya'll!
:
[...]
: --
: Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
: Connie
:
: I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted
*LOTS* of free applique
: patterns!
: Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/----- It's BACK!!
: AND they APOLOGIZED!
: LOL!
:
: --
: Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
: Connie
:
: I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS*
of free applique patterns!
: Check it out! http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/
----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
: LOL! - Hide quoted text -
:
:
:
:
: --
: Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
: Connie
:

Old August 8th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , CATS
wrote:

Connie, I've missed most of this thread (don't get all
posts) so I hope I am not repeating what has already been
posted, but - did you know there is a group for rctq EQ
users? We have been REAL quiet lately, but any questions
usually get a quick answer, and there are a couple of real
wizards in the group who are very helpful. Tutu really
keeps us on our toes! lol

No! I didn't know that ... I'd really be interested in at least
listening in (I certainly have nothing to share yet - haven't gotten my
copy yet - still waiting!). Could you give me more details on how to
find the group?

When you say you want to upload "project files" to your
site, do you mean EQ .prj files to be used by other EQ
users, or files that have quilting project details? EQ
refers to their file format "project" (.PJ5 for EQ5, and
.PJ6 for EQ6)

Well, what I was hoping (which I've been told I can't do) is be able to
provide links to actual project files (?) ... let me see ... since I
haven't actually stuck my nose in it yet, I'm not sure what the lingo
is .. I want my subscribers to be able to download the files that I use
to actually create the designs. Like if I use such-and-such fabrics
from say, Moda, I'd like them to be able to open the files with all
those sorts of settings intact. I'd like them (if this IS possible) to
open the file and maybe import(?) the blocks I've designed into their
library(?).

Now, I know I can do that going EQ6 to EQ6 (which is what I bought) but
I wanted to do that going EQ6 to EQ*5*. And from everything I've been
told, it won't work that way (I even asked Penny @ EQ).

Did all that make sense?? Like I said, I'm not familiar with the terms
so I don't think I can describe what I'm looking for without sounding
like a complete idiot! :/

[...]

Okay, now when you say "images" do you mean that EQ5 people will be
able to import EQ6 images? (Yeesh, that really didn't make sense, did
it?) Meaning, if I create design A, and export it to a EQ5 compatible
file, could a EQ5 user open it in EQ5 and modify it or add it to their
library?

I have EQ2,3,4,5 and 6. Didn't like EQ6 when it came out,
but Tutu says that the recent upgrade has made it better so
I am promising to go back and give it another try. But I
have so many applique designs in EQ5 I have little incentive
to make more in EQ6 right now lol. I usually put
designs I buy into EQ to allow me to resize, rearrange, test
layouts and colours, etc. It takes a little time to draw
them out, but the design options - once drawn out - are
worth it. It is so much fun to take designs and test them
out in different layouts with just the click of a key.

See!? That's what I want people to be able to do with my designs!! That
is the BEST description to describe what I'm looking to do!! But I want
them to be able to do it with designs that I've created in EQ6 in their
EQ5 app!

Did that make more sense?? Like I've said many a time, this ol grey
mare ain't what she used to be! :/

Now on EQ5 vs EQ6 - I've been told (mainly the reviews, which of course
are done by people SELLING the software) that EQ6 is THE best app for
designers. Supposedly it has more geegaws and gidgets to make designing
easier ... is that not the case??? And I really need help with creating
the instructions - as you can see, writing is not my forte, so I was
hoping that EQ6 would make it easier to create instructions, too. :/

Or am I asking for miracles??? sheepish grin

Thank you SEW much, Cheryl!! You've really helped a lot!! Have you
thought about writing a text book on EQ? You seem to be MORE than
qualified!

Old August 10th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Connie - slow down! rofl

To begin with, most software will not be backwards
compatible, so you shouldn't be surprised that EQ6 won't
save to EQ5 format.

GENERALLY it is not hard to make an EQ5 file over into EQ6,
so my answer would be create the file in EQ5 format, then
open that file and save it in EQ6 and just do some minor
tweaking if anything changes. HOWEVER . . . I have EQ5 AND
EQ6 so I can do that. If you only have (or will only have)
EQ6 then you cannot create a file that can be read in EQ5.
EOS!

If you are planning on making files available with a large
fabric library, your file size will blow out quickly. It
might be worth creating your designs in plain colours and
giving a link to the EQ free pallettes so people can
download the fabrics themselves. But you should talk to EQ
about using their site link in association with your
designs.

If you export an image of your design in EQ6 it is no longer
anything more than an image/picture, so it cannot be
"imported" to EQ5. EQ5 users would have to use the picture
as a guide to create their own file from scratch.

As to how much help EQ6 gives for writing instructions - I
can't comment as I haven't used it at all. I am still using
mostly EQ5 because my special interest is applique and I
prefer the drawing tools in EQ5. I haven't even opened EQ6
since the recent update, so I don't know what has changed.

My recommendation would be wait until you have you software
and get to know it for a while before leaping into creating
any massive files and trying to give links to them on a web
site.

As for the group - we have been VERY quiet lately so there
hasn't been much to listen in on. But if you want to
contact some other software users I have sent you an
invitation to join.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) and ( Y )
Boofhead Donut Rasputin
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Connie" wrote in message
et...
: In article , CATS

:
: ____________________________________
: __________________________________________________ ____
:

Old August 11th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

There isn't really any help from EQ for writing instructions. For blocks
that can be rotary cut, there are rotary cutting instructions, but you need
to know basic quilt construction to write proper instructions.
I design small projects for my group in Florida, and I use EQ to do my
designing, but then write the instructions in "Word".
There is a learning curve to EQ, but if you have been using other
art/drawing programs, you should not have any trouble.

--
Susan in Kingston ON
back to quilting, as usual
"CATS" wrote in message
[...]

"Connie" wrote in message
et...
: In article , CATS

:

Mac Users only jennellh Quilting 3 July 3rd 07 08:52 PM
OT - AOL users? Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\) Quilting 8 January 27th 04 05:19 AM
OT -- AOL users only Dukkum Needlework 15 November 2nd 03 02:49 AM