Question for PC EQ6 users?

Old August 6th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

Default Question for PC EQ6 users?

Hi ya'll!

I was just wondering what systems ya'll have ... how powerful a
processor, amount of RAM, etc ... EQ's site doesn't give much info on
that sort of thing - only that you need XP to run it 700Mbs of hard
drive space.

I've got a Mac and VPC to so I *could* run it on my Mac if I REALLY
want to - but I don't. I think it'd be too hoggy on the resources ....

So I've bought a PC laptop (thinking that way, I can check my e-mail on
the road, or just out of my home office - be really nice to sit outside
and design!!!) ... it's used, since I'm not looking for it to be my
"main machine" - Gateway, WinXP, 1GHz, 20 GBs hard drive, 256 RAM
(though I'll update THAT for sure!).

Do ya'll think that'll be enough??? Or did I just make a big boo-boo
and go too skimpy on the specs (since I've already bought it!)???

crossing fingers
(Since I don't want to have mod it before I can use it with EQ6!!!)

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!
Old August 6th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Hi Connie, as you say, this will not be your main machine so your
specs should be OK for EQing - memory upgrade is definitely something
to consider unless you use an external storage device for designs,
etc. once you have built up your libraries. cd-rom drive and sound
card are also required plus monitor resolution of 1068x??? or
greater. If you are planning to use a lot of photos in your designs,
that will use up a lot of available space on your computer but
otherwise, just keep a check on properties for the system to know if
it causing your laptop to slow down to much. jennellh (change the
mail to news)

Old August 6th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry Starr[_2_]

You will definitely need more RAM. You have to have 950MB of available
hard-disk space, a CD-ROM drive, a monitor with a screen resolution of
1024x768 or greater, and a sound card for the demo videos.

Sherry Starr

et...

Old August 6th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , Sherry Starr
wrote:

You will definitely need more RAM. You have to have 950MB of available
hard-disk space, a CD-ROM drive, a monitor with a screen resolution of
1024x768 or greater, and a sound card for the demo videos.

Thanks, Sherry!!

I figured I'd have to upgrade the RAM ... do you think 512 MBs would be
enough?

It's coming with a 20-30 GB (can't remember, LOL) drive, and the only
apps on it will be EQ6 and Outlook (maybe the rest of Office) so I
think I should be good on HD space?

But I'm sure I'll upgrade the drive VERY soon - on my Mac the smallest
drive I have is 250GBs! Such a small drive will "drive" me nuts!!

Again, thank YOU!!

Sherry Starr

Old August 7th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article . com,
jennellh wrote:

Hi Connie, as you say, this will not be your main machine so your
specs should be OK for EQing - memory upgrade is definitely something
to consider unless you use an external storage device for designs,
etc. once you have built up your libraries. cd-rom drive and sound
card are also required plus monitor resolution of 1068x??? or
greater. If you are planning to use a lot of photos in your designs,
that will use up a lot of available space on your computer but
otherwise, just keep a check on properties for the system to know if
it causing your laptop to slow down to much. jennellh (change the
mail to news)

Thank you, Jennelh!!

It's a decent little lappie - 15 inch screen (my eyes ain't what they
used to be!) and it does have 1024 x 768 screen res. I think my biggest
concern is the processing speed (1 GHz) and RAM it comes with. Although
I'll be upgrading the RAM (ASAP), I'd still like to be able to play
with it while it ships (I always buy my RAM online - so much cheaper!!)
.... which would probably be about 4 or 5 days. :/ In the meantime, I'll
only be running EQ6, Outlook - and maybe Word. I'll scan with my Mac
and just pull things over the network and probably store the majority
of my files, there, too.

Can I also ask if you know if you can "back-save" EQ6 to be compatible
with EQ5? With my eZine, I'm planning on including downloadable links
for subscribers to download EQ project files for my patterns and I
don't want to leave EQ5 users out (but don't want to have to buy or run
EQ5).

Again, thank you so much, Jennelh!!

Old August 7th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Connie wrote:

Can I also ask if you know if you can "back-save" EQ6 to be compatible
with EQ5? With my eZine, I'm planning on including downloadable links
for subscribers to download EQ project files for my patterns and I
don't want to leave EQ5 users out (but don't want to have to buy or run
EQ5).

Connie, I don't see a way to save an EQ6 file as an EQ5 file. While
there's a Save As ... option, there isn't any way to select EQ5 as the
file type.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 7th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article
,
Sandy wrote:

In article ,
Connie wrote:

Can I also ask if you know if you can "back-save" EQ6 to be compatible
with EQ5? With my eZine, I'm planning on including downloadable links
for subscribers to download EQ project files for my patterns and I
don't want to leave EQ5 users out (but don't want to have to buy or run
EQ5).

Connie, I don't see a way to save an EQ6 file as an EQ5 file. While
there's a Save As ... option, there isn't any way to select EQ5 as the
file type.

Oh ... well .... crud. I was really hoping not to "leave anyone out."
It looks like I'll be buying EQ5, too.

Do you think most quilters use EQ5 or EQ6 (obviously, that is if they
use EQ at all)??

I'll put up a poll at my blog and see how many use EQ 5 or 6 or at all.

As always, thanks, Sandy!!

Old August 7th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Connie wrote:

Oh ... well .... crud. I was really hoping not to "leave anyone out."
It looks like I'll be buying EQ5, too.

Do you think most quilters use EQ5 or EQ6 (obviously, that is if they
use EQ at all)??

I think that EQ6 is new enough that it's hard to tell. Going by what I
see on the info-eq list, though, I'd say that the majority have updated.
That's a skewed sample, though, since it obviously doesn't include most
of the EQ users.

I'll put up a poll at my blog and see how many use EQ 5 or 6 or at all.

As always, thanks, Sandy!!

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

Connie, instead of buying EQ5, why don't you ask someone who subscribes
to your blog if they'd be willing to trace the patterns into EQ5 from
the versions you make? Someone -- or a few someones -- might be able to
do that, if they have both versions, and save you having to buy more
software.

Old August 7th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Hi Connie, the file types for #5 & #6 are different and while #5 files
can be used by #6, the reverse is not possible. Alternatively - use
#5 for your needs??? Is it possible to use word program or pdf format
to accomplish what you want to do?? jennellh

On Aug 6, 7:04 pm, Connie wrote:
In article . com,

On Aug 6, 5:07 pm, Connie wrote:
[...]

LOL! - Hide quoted text -

Old August 7th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article
,
Sandy wrote:

In article ,
Connie wrote:

Oh ... well .... crud. I was really hoping not to "leave anyone out."
It looks like I'll be buying EQ5, too.

Do you think most quilters use EQ5 or EQ6 (obviously, that is if they
use EQ at all)??

I think that EQ6 is new enough that it's hard to tell. Going by what I
see on the info-eq list, though, I'd say that the majority have updated.
That's a skewed sample, though, since it obviously doesn't include most
of the EQ users.

Yeah, I guess the only way to find out if my subscribers are using
either version is to ask them ... I put up a poll and sent out a
(pathetic, begging) e-mail for votes on what they've got.
*sigh*
I just really don't understand why EQ isn't backwards compatible ... :/

I'll put up a poll at my blog and see how many use EQ 5 or 6 or at all.

As always, thanks, Sandy!!

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

Connie, instead of buying EQ5, why don't you ask someone who subscribes
to your blog if they'd be willing to trace the patterns into EQ5 from
the versions you make? Someone -- or a few someones -- might be able to
do that, if they have both versions, and save you having to buy more
software.

That's a great idea, but I'd feel bad about asking for someone to do
that. I probably sound silly saying that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I know I'm putting a LOT of work
into this thing and I'm just really hesitant about asking for anyone
else to put the same amount in. :/

Does that make sense??? :/

Mac Users only jennellh Quilting 3 July 3rd 07 08:52 PM
OT - AOL users? Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\) Quilting 8 January 27th 04 05:19 AM
OT -- AOL users only Dukkum Needlework 15 November 2nd 03 02:49 AM