ever used a knitting sheath

Old July 15th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Default ever used a knitting sheath

Besides Aaron who has tried to help Katherine and myself.

Has any of you ever used a knitting sheath and if you do you know of an
instructions sight on line.

Aaron has raid Katherine and my interest in the sheath. He makes his
own. I plan to do more research and give it a try.

Any advice would be appreciated my Katherine and my self.

Aaron had made over a dozen prototypes so far and his sheaths look great.

All advice appreciated.

I should be using my Sweater Machine more often rather than learning the
working of a sheath. I have to make a good story to tell Gail.

Hugs & God bless,

Dennis & Gail

PS please look at Aaron's blog.
Old July 15th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA

"SpikeDriver" wrote in message
Besides Aaron who has tried to help Katherine and myself.

Has any of you ever used a knitting sheath and if you do you know of an
instructions sight on line.

I haven't used a sheath, but have used a knitting belt. IMHO, it is a nice
bit of knitting tradition to know/use if you are a knitting history buff, or
want to demonstrate knitting techniques used for production knitting in the
Yorkshire Dales and Shetland Isles, not something that I use in every day
knitting.
My suggestion would be to try to find a copy of "The Old Hand Knitters of
The Dales"
http://www.theshed.co.uk/oldhandknitters.html and/or "Knitting by the
fireside and on the hillside": A history of the Shetland hand knitting
industry c.1600-1950. Both books are now OOP, but contain pictures of
knitters using both knitting belts and sheaths.
To approximate how the belt or sheath worked, tuck the left knitting needle
firmly under the left arm to hold it, freeing the left hand to manulipate
the yarn in conjunction with the right. It also helps knowing now to "flick"
the yarn with the tip of the index finger instead of moving the whole
hand/arm to loop the yarn around the working needle, flicking the yarn is
the same motion that is used in two handed stranded knitting. Essentially,
you would be re-learning to knit.
AFAIK, there are no places on line that have any information on the use of
either the sheath or the knitting belt.
Hope this information is useful
DA

Old July 15th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

DA wrote:
"SpikeDriver" wrote in message
Besides Aaron who has tried to help Katherine and myself.

Has any of you ever used a knitting sheath and if you do you know of an
instructions sight on line.

I haven't used a sheath, but have used a knitting belt. IMHO, it is a nice
bit of knitting tradition to know/use if you are a knitting history buff, or
want to demonstrate knitting techniques used for production knitting in the
Yorkshire Dales and Shetland Isles, not something that I use in every day
knitting.hanks
[...]

DA,

Thanks, you have helped a lot. I have an idea what I am up against to
learn the sheath. I might get annoyed and use the sweater machine I
purchased a while back.

It is kind of like the sheath. Once you learn to use it properly it is
great.

Again DA thanks a lot for the URL and info.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old July 15th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

I always practice safe knitting...

Oh wait.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old July 15th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Stella Fenley

http://pineconelodge.blogspot.com/20...r-kind-of.html

here is a little info.Stella

Old July 15th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

The sweater machine is faster : )

(but it is not as versatile.)
(but it is not as portable.)
(but it is faster!!!)

Aaron

Old July 15th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

It took a couple of months for me to figure out how to use the knitting
sheath. Now, I am way faster with the sheath, than without. It is better
than tucking a needle under the arm. It also allow me to knit things that I
can not knit without it.

I will get my wife to take some pictures put up a blog post on how to use a
knitting sheath.

On the other hand, if you like fabric with rather large stitches (a loose
fabric) you do not want to use a knitting sheath as the DPN will fall out.
: )
Aaron

Old July 15th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:59:36 GMT, spewed forth :

Is that like "life lines" at all times? : )

Yes! That's what I meant!

*chuckle*

Marching towards fine knitting Yarn 3 July 11th 06 04:34 AM
Make your own knitting sheath Yarn 0 July 6th 06 09:29 PM
The Gross Errors of a Needle Maker: 000, 00, 0, Yarn 29 June 20th 06 06:16 AM
The ongoing story of knitting sheaths for Aaron and Noreen Els van Dam Yarn 15 April 25th 06 06:45 PM
My Book Report for Cactus Needles Knitting Guild!!! Slick Hippy chick Yarn 2 November 21st 03 09:23 PM