Whats your choice of needles for socks

Old July 10th 06, 08:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Default Whats your choice of needles for socks

Cats wrote:
(sneaking quietly out of lurk-dom)

I am still relatively new to sock knitting but I use only
circulars - usually two but sometimes three or four for toes
and heels depending on the pattern. I knit quite plain
socks but I found the DPNs very hard to manipulate, maybe
because with a 9"+ handspan my hands are just too big?

As I often knit when I travel by train or car I find the
circulars great. No lost needles, no possibility of
dropping stitches or pulling needles out when unpacking (all
of which happened more than once on DPNs). But as I read
all these answers I wonder what I am missing. Most posters
here seem to prefer DPNs.

I am currently using Addi Turbo circulars and it took a
while to get used to the very short needle length, but now I
just roll up my current sock project and take them anywhere
in my pocket. I can pull them out and work anywhere. I
assume that others feel that way about DPNs too. So . . .

While I am not planning on changing how I knit particularly,
I am curious about WHY so many prefer DPNs. Is it because
that is what they learned on or are there other advantages I
have missed? Just curious.

Cheryl & the Cats,

Thank you friend for replying.

I think you nailed it, most probably learned on 5. I learned on 4.

I the points you made, they are very valid.

You are also right about changing, the socks all look the same.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old July 10th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Katherine wrote:
Hi, Cheryl.
I learned on DPNs, and really prefer them. I have used circulars, and even
the magic loop, but I find it really awkward. I can see the advantage while
traveling, but it has never bothered me.
Now that you have de-lurked, stick around and play.

Higs,
Katherine

Cats wrote:
[...]

"SpikeDriver" wrote in message
Hello Dear friends,

I am curious to what type of needles do you use when you knit socks.

Ive used
4 double point needles,
5 double points,
2 circulars,
1 circular,
2 socks on 2 circulars,
and 2 socks on 1 circular.

The last one you have to think on.

I prefer the 5 doubles points or 2 circulars. Maybe prefer 5 DPs
65% to the 2 circulars 35%.

Please tell me what you prefer and use the most.

I have knitted 11 pairs of socks this year to date. 10 adults and
one for my Granddaughter, Ava.

How many have you made to date?

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Yes Cheryl, please check in more often.

Thank you Katherine for pointing that out.

Higs,
Dennis
Old July 10th 06, 08:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

coggietm wrote:
2 socks on 2 circulars,
and 2 socks on 1 circular.

I also prefer Queen Kahuna's book for explaining cast on toes and how
to turn the heels.
Coggie

Coggie,

I will check that book out but, Gail said me and the books go if I buy
one more. WHAT DO I DO!!!!!?

After you get used to the circulars they are many good points to them as
Cheryl & the Cats pointed out. I don't completely dislike any method, I
guess I love to knit socks and try different methods of knitting.

I am lucky to have a understanding wife. I have 2 Needle Master sets
and a Denise circular needle set. I like the Denise set the best but,
they only go down to size 5. The Needle Master goes down to a size 2,
making it fine for sport weight and the extra length required to the
magic loop. I have 000 to 11 on DPs, with many repeats.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old July 10th 06, 08:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

SpikeDriver wrote:
Hello Dear friends,

I am curious to what type of needles do you use when you knit socks.

Ive used
4 double point needles,
5 double points,
2 circulars,
1 circular,
2 socks on 2 circulars,
and 2 socks on 1 circular.

The last one you have to think on.

I prefer the 5 doubles points or 2 circulars. Maybe prefer 5 DPs 65% to
the 2 circulars 35%.

Please tell me what you prefer and use the most.

I have knitted 11 pairs of socks this year to date. 10 adults and one
for my Granddaughter, Ava.

How many have you made to date?

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Thank you all Dear Friends,

How many of you have tried to up as Noreen stated?

I don't mind it, preferring cuff down.

I hope I did not miss anybody. Please let me know if I did. Thank you
all so much.

I got several good ideas and patterns, what a deal.

I don't do chat room for many reasons. I did not believe you could get
so and great friends on a new-group until I came here. What great and
dear friends.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old July 10th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

SpikeDriver wrote:
SpikeDriver wrote:
[...]

Spell check does not work all the time.

I mean toe up.

Dennis
Old July 10th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
SpikeDriver wrote:
snip
I think you nailed it, most probably learned on 5. I learned on 4.

I learned on 4, but once I tried 5, I liked it much better. Mostly
it's because with 5, I can always fold the knitting flat whether
or not I've finished off a needle-full. With 4, I have to have all
4 needles in the work to fold it flat. When the knitting is flattened
and then rolled up around the needles, I'm less likely to find that a
needle has been pushed out of the stitches.

=Tamar
Old July 10th 06, 10:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Richard Eney wrote:
In article ,
SpikeDriver wrote:
snip
I think you nailed it, most probably learned on 5. I learned on 4.

I learned on 4, but once I tried 5, I liked it much better. Mostly
it's because with 5, I can always fold the knitting flat whether
or not I've finished off a needle-full. With 4, I have to have all
4 needles in the work to fold it flat. When the knitting is flattened
and then rolled up around the needles, I'm less likely to find that a
needle has been pushed out of the stitches.

=Tamar

Good point Tamar,

Thanks for responding.

Do you do toe up also and if you do, which do you prefer, toe up or cuff
down.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old July 10th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
I have used:
1 circular (yuck!)
2 circulars (yuck!)
4 DPNs (perfect!)
5 DPNs (acceptable)

How many pairs? I couldn't possibly count, as I have been knitting
them for over 30 years. So far this year, I have probably done only
half a dozen, as I have been doing other things.

Katherine, I am in TOTAL agreement with you. I have settled into a
routine with socks - 4 DPN's, size 2mm (1 US). I think 5 DPN's are
like SSK.... something new thought up by someone who had nothing else
to do. (snicker). Those of you who use 5 DPN's, please don't get your
nose out of joint by my own strong personal opinion. Whatever works
for you. I don't do SSK either. Sl 1, K1, PSSO works just fine thank
you and has for me for a very long time. I do cuff down with a Sl 1,
K1 heel flap. I usually use aluminum needles (Boye), have used
bamboo and find them too flimsy. I usually set up both socks at once
and knit a bit on each one so I don't suffer from 1-sockitis.

I just printed off a pattern today from the new Knitty that I'm
thinking of trying. It's called Reptilian Lace.... have a peek.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/...ilianlace.html

So, there you go Dennis - my usual loud thoughts on things (laugh).

LOL Shelagh, I have the same thought you do! When I see "SSK", my mind
automatically translates it to "s1k1psso". I can see the benefit of five
needles when using lots of stitches, but, let's face it, how often does
*that* happen with socks?

Higs,
Katherine

Old July 10th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Moon Shyne wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
Hi, Cheryl.
I learned on DPNs, and really prefer them. I have used circulars,
and even the magic loop, but I find it really awkward. I can see the
advantage while traveling, but it has never bothered me.
Now that you have de-lurked, stick around and play.

Higs,
Katherine

Ok, help out the newbie, please?

Daughter is wanting to make socks for my dad (her grandfather) - and
while she and I are well accustomed to DP needles and circular
needles, what in heck is a magic loop??

:-)

I see that Dennis has already pointed it out to you, so I won't bother. I,
too, tried it twice, and didn't like it.
My advice? Sitck to your DPNs. g

Higs,
Katherine

Old July 10th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Cats wrote:
Oh, I chip in very occasionally LOL but mostly I just
read and learn

Well, that's OK, then. g

Higs,
Katherine

The Gross Errors of a Needle Maker: 000, 00, 0, Yarn 29 June 20th 06 06:16 AM
LATE Sunday AM, etc, and a *wanted* "ad".... YarnWright Yarn 54 June 19th 06 04:46 PM
Expensive knitting needles Yarn 2 June 11th 06 11:06 PM
Hard S.E.X.; The Search for Golden Needles Yarn 6 January 5th 06 09:09 PM
Request for your extra needles and hooks Jenn Vanderslice Yarn 2 February 5th 04 07:41 PM