Whats your choice of needles for socks

Old July 9th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Default Whats your choice of needles for socks

Hello Dear friends,

I am curious to what type of needles do you use when you knit socks.

Ive used
4 double point needles,
5 double points,
2 circulars,
1 circular,
2 socks on 2 circulars,
and 2 socks on 1 circular.

The last one you have to think on.

I prefer the 5 doubles points or 2 circulars. Maybe prefer 5 DPs 65% to
the 2 circulars 35%.

Please tell me what you prefer and use the most.

I have knitted 11 pairs of socks this year to date. 10 adults and one
for my Granddaughter, Ava.

How many have you made to date?

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old July 9th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

Hi, Dennis
I prefer double points but I use five or four depending on how many I
have of a size. I guess I probably prefer five but not so much that I
will go out and buy another set. I have made three pair this year and
am finishing the fourth - one was a pair of baby socks, though. I
really like the merino/tencel mix socks that I made earlier this year.

Old July 9th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

I prefer a set of 5 dpns. However there are lots of patterns I want
to try that use 4 dpns so I will be experimenting with them as well.
I use either Brittany 5" or Bryspun 5".

Alison
Old July 9th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA

Hello Dear friends,

I am curious to what type of needles do you use when you knit socks.

Ive used
4 double point needles,
5 double points,
2 circulars,
1 circular,
2 socks on 2 circulars,
and 2 socks on 1 circular.

The last one you have to think on.

I prefer the 5 doubles points or 2 circulars. Maybe prefer 5 DPs 65% to
the 2 circulars 35%.

Please tell me what you prefer and use the most.

I have knitted 11 pairs of socks this year to date. 10 adults and one for
my Granddaughter, Ava.

How many have you made to date?

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

5 double points 75% and 4 double points 25%. I have tried/learned to use two
circulars, but always go back to double points.
Socks make a great take along project, the needles and yarn are easy to
tuck in a purse. Don't get that many pairs done ( maybe half a dozen a
year) since I knit other things when I am sitting watching TV.
DA

Old July 9th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 03:35:05 -0500, SpikeDriver
spewed forth :

Hello Dear friends,

I am curious to what type of needles do you use when you knit socks.

2.5mm 8" rosewood DPNs.

Occasionally 2mm bamboo DPNs but they're too short.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old July 9th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 03:35:05 -0500, SpikeDriver spun a fine yarn

Hello Dear friends,

I am curious to what type of needles do you use when you knit socks.

Ive used
4 double point needles,
5 double points,
2 circulars,
1 circular,
2 socks on 2 circulars,
and 2 socks on 1 circular.

The last one you have to think on.

I prefer the 5 doubles points or 2 circulars. Maybe prefer 5 DPs 65% to
the 2 circulars 35%.

Please tell me what you prefer and use the most.

I have knitted 11 pairs of socks this year to date. 10 adults and one
for my Granddaughter, Ava.

How many have you made to date?

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Dennis,
I can do them all the ways possible, and you forgot to ALSO ask:
cuff down or toe up?

I prefer cuff-down, and I'd say 90% of the time I use 5 DPN's and the
other 10% of the time is divided between 2 circs and magic
loop(1circ).
I've made 7 adult pairs, so far this year for ME, and 2 childs, for
the DGD's and 1 baby for DGD Jacey.
HTH,
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0627-3, 07/07/2006
Tested: 7/9/2006 10:21:19 AM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old July 9th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

I have used:
1 circular (yuck!)
2 circulars (yuck!)
4 DPNs (perfect!)
5 DPNs (acceptable)

How many pairs? I couldn't possibly count, as I have been knitting them for
over 30 years. So far this year, I have probably done only half a dozen, as
I have been doing other things.

Higs,
Katherine

Old July 10th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

2 socks on 2 circulars,
and 2 socks on 1 circular.

I also prefer Queen Kahuna's book for explaining cast on toes and how
to turn the heels.
Coggie

Old July 10th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Hi, Cheryl.
I learned on DPNs, and really prefer them. I have used circulars, and even
the magic loop, but I find it really awkward. I can see the advantage while
traveling, but it has never bothered me.
Now that you have de-lurked, stick around and play.

Higs,
Katherine

Cats wrote:
(sneaking quietly out of lurk-dom)

I am still relatively new to sock knitting but I use only
circulars - usually two but sometimes three or four for toes
and heels depending on the pattern. I knit quite plain
socks but I found the DPNs very hard to manipulate, maybe
because with a 9"+ handspan my hands are just too big?

As I often knit when I travel by train or car I find the
circulars great. No lost needles, no possibility of
dropping stitches or pulling needles out when unpacking (all
of which happened more than once on DPNs). But as I read
all these answers I wonder what I am missing. Most posters
here seem to prefer DPNs.

I am currently using Addi Turbo circulars and it took a
while to get used to the very short needle length, but now I
just roll up my current sock project and take them anywhere
in my pocket. I can pull them out and work anywhere. I
assume that others feel that way about DPNs too. So . . .

While I am not planning on changing how I knit particularly,
I am curious about WHY so many prefer DPNs. Is it because
that is what they learned on or are there other advantages I
have missed? Just curious.

Old July 10th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Katherine" wrote in message
I have used:
1 circular (yuck!)
2 circulars (yuck!)
4 DPNs (perfect!)
5 DPNs (acceptable)

How many pairs? I couldn't possibly count, as I have been knitting them

for
over 30 years. So far this year, I have probably done only half a dozen,

as
I have been doing other things.

Katherine, I am in TOTAL agreement with you. I have settled into a routine
with socks - 4 DPN's, size 2mm (1 US). I think 5 DPN's are like SSK....
something new thought up by someone who had nothing else to do. (snicker).
Those of you who use 5 DPN's, please don't get your nose out of joint by my
own strong personal opinion. Whatever works for you. I don't do SSK
either. Sl 1, K1, PSSO works just fine thank you and has for me for a very
long time. I do cuff down with a Sl 1, K1 heel flap. I usually use
aluminum needles (Boye), have used bamboo and find them too flimsy. I
usually set up both socks at once and knit a bit on each one so I don't
suffer from 1-sockitis.

I just printed off a pattern today from the new Knitty that I'm thinking of
trying. It's called Reptilian Lace.... have a peek.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/...ilianlace.html

So, there you go Dennis - my usual loud thoughts on things (laugh).

Shelagh

The Gross Errors of a Needle Maker: 000, 00, 0, Yarn 29 June 20th 06 06:16 AM
LATE Sunday AM, etc, and a *wanted* "ad".... YarnWright Yarn 54 June 19th 06 04:46 PM
Expensive knitting needles Yarn 2 June 11th 06 11:06 PM
Hard S.E.X.; The Search for Golden Needles Yarn 6 January 5th 06 09:09 PM
Request for your extra needles and hooks Jenn Vanderslice Yarn 2 February 5th 04 07:41 PM